Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Looks like this year's Christmas special has been scrapped... https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/...ial-cancelled/

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• knight errant00
      8 Inch Action Figure
      • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by MRP
      Looks like this year's Christmas special has been scrapped... https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/...ial-cancelled/
      -M
      "Chibnall says that the reason is pretty simple. After 13 years of the annual event, they've run out of ideas for Doctor Who Christmas stories."

Seriously? This is exactly what I was talking about with this season's writing. To paraphrase an engineer from another famous SF franchise, a chimpanzee and two trainees could run it better. Next thing, they's say they've run out of time-travel stories.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by knight errant00
        "Chibnall says that the reason is pretty simple. After 13 years of the annual event, they've run out of ideas for Doctor Who Christmas stories."

Seriously? This is exactly what I was talking about with this season's writing. To paraphrase an engineer from another famous SF franchise, a chimpanzee and two trainees could run it better. Next thing, they's say they've run out of time-travel stories.
        Further in the article, it mentions they may be doing a New Years Day Special instead, and speaking personally, I have enjoyed the Christmas themed episodes far less than the non-Christmas episodes that were around them, so I am ok with changing it up if they want to, as long as the special they do produce is enjoyable. But then I am only a casual Who fan and this is the first time since Donna was the companion to Tenant's Doctor that I have been interested enough to watch on a regular basis. I didn't like the Donna character and stopped watching regularly about 3-4 episodes into her tenure as the Doctor's travelling companion. My wife is the big modern who fan so I've sampled a lot from all the eras since, but I didn't enjoy them enough to watch regularly until the start of this season when I gave the new cast a chance and found myself liking the entire ensemble.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• knight errant00
          8 Inch Action Figure
          • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by MRP
          Further in the article, it mentions they may be doing a New Years Day Special instead, and speaking personally, I have enjoyed the Christmas themed episodes far less than the non-Christmas episodes that were around them, so I am ok with changing it up if they want to, as long as the special they do produce is enjoyable.
          -M
          No argument here. I've liked some of the specials more than others... that's just tastes. If he'd said "We wanted to change things up a bit" or "I've never felt the Christmas specials worked, so we wanted to try something different" I'd have been OK with that. But to blame it on no more ideas left? It's not even a well thought-out excuse.

And it's not even that the ideas are bad this season, just the execution -- poor storytelling and sloppy construction -- is hurting the show. You'd think taking charge of such a beloved and popular franchise, you'd really bring your A-game on the writing. But they seem to be coasting on "Look! A new Doctor!"
          Last edited by knight errant00; Nov 3, '18, 4:57 PM.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Liked the spaceship interiors in tonight's episode.
            That little alien creature should sell a few toys for the BBC.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
              That little alien creature should sell a few toys for the BBC.
              It looked like a Lilo and Stitch Funko pop.

This episode kind of embodied what I feel is an issue with this season.

Chibnall has turned it into a team show and he's quite good at crafting believable characters. Every episode, somebody on "Team Tardis" gets the spotlight, this week it was Ryan working on his dad issues. I like the character of Ryan and that's probably credited to how he's written.

You have 10 characters running around in this episode, you have one plot with two seperate subplots and it's just too much.

The threat never feels like one, a) because it's "adipose cute" and b) because there is just so much going on. No tension, you can see how the Doctor is going to deal with from ten feet away.

While the threat doesn't get enough attention, Whittaker's Doctor is also underserved, she's the Doctor and while they're quick to show her take charge in every episode, I feel the character is getting sort of lost.

I hope this course corrects, I've weathered through rough seasons before on the charm of the lead and I'll see this through but it's feeling like "The Flash" does right now.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 14, 2012

I just can't get into Whittaker as the Doctor. Had the same problem with Peter Davison in the 80s. Celery? Really?

But it's really been the scripts over the last two years that have killed Doctor Who for me.
                Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• toothaction
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 15, 2017

Well observed, palitoy.

I realized this week that watching all of these latest installments is leaving me with that feeling like when you know the relationship is over but just can't bring yourself to break up with them yet. The affection is still there, but I'm just not connecting with my longtime lover anymore. Dang.
                  >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

I think this guy does a great job articulating what I don't like about the show.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I think he's a garbage person and that's coming from someone critical of the direction that the show is taking.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

I barely made it through the Rosa episode. took 3 separate sittings to finish it and fast forwarded through some of those. I am done. this show is crap. I am happy for those who like it, but I will wait for the next Doctor, if the show makes it

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                          I barely made it through the Rosa episode. took 3 separate sittings to finish it and fast forwarded through some of those. I am done. this show is crap. I am happy for those who like it, but I will wait for the next Doctor, if the show makes it
                          It took me two sittings to finish the newest episode. It really is terrible. The writing sucks, and every episode is worse than the one before it. It's so sad...

Comment

• toothaction
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by palitoy
                            I think he's a garbage person and that's coming from someone critical of the direction that the show is taking.
                            Mega dittos, to quote a man that the reviewer most likely enjoys.
                            >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• fallensaviour
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                              It took me two sittings to finish the newest episode. It really is terrible. The writing sucks, and every episode is worse than the one before it. It's so sad...
                              Not going to lie I fell asleep twice trying to get through this.
                              This show is a mess,sad but not unexpected.
                              I was hoping for a regeneration after the sonic mine.....I know I’m not alone with that thought either.
                              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Brue
                                User without title
                                • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                                I watched Broadchurch but she didn't stand out to me, mostly because I think, the show had a lot of good performances going on.
                                Clearly she didn't stand out to me on Broadchurch because I didn't even make the connections until I read your post today. Hmm 2 doctors on Broadchurch.

I loved broadchurch for season one - then I struggled to watch and never finished the series.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎