X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Spectreman Trading Card Display

My friend Corey shared this awesome vintage display of Spectreman cards from Japan. As if I couldn't love Japanese stuff more.

I am truly a sucker for anything with Dr. Gori on it.

New Six Million Dollar Man Shirt in our Redbubble store!

Don't forget to join our new facebook group.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Extremely neat! With all of the related merchandise and the current merchandise, the series must have been very popular.

Brian, was Spectreman aired in Canada during the 70s or early 80s? It was aired here on TBS or WTBS, as it was known then. That was circa 1980. I can’t recalled how long they aired it, but I enjoyed every second of it.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
      Brian, was Spectreman aired in Canada during the 70s or early 80s? It was aired here on TBS or WTBS, as it was known then. That was circa 1980. I can’t recalled how long they aired it, but I enjoyed every second of it.
      To my knowledge, no. Canadians who enjoy Spectreman likely experienced it through the VHS releases in the early 1980s. I remember finding one or two volumes at different "Mom N' Pop" video stores that once dotted our landscape.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

^ That’s pretty interesting. At that time, I would have loved to have had Spectreman on VHS, but I never saw it at any video store. In fact, I never saw anything concerning the series, post TBS, until internet access became available.

- Ian

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
          ^ That’s pretty interesting. At that time, I would have loved to have had Spectreman on VHS, but I never saw it at any video store. In fact, I never saw anything concerning the series, post TBS, until internet access became available.
          In my late teens, I actually drove around to various towns renting the volumes. I'd never heard of the show before and it was a cheaper Ultraman with a lot of humour. The dubbing is absolutely hilarious.

I got to meet Mel Welles just before he passed, I really wanted him to sign a Spectreman picture but he didn't have any and kind of shook his head and mumbled "Kids...". He seemed surprised I enjoyed it and I don't think he wanted to be remembered for it

Comment

• MysteryWho
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 16, 2008

The Japanese really dug Planet of the Apes I gather, what with this guy, Time of the Ape, and those green monkey men from Godzilla. I'd never seen Dr. Gori before but his charms are readily apparent.

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MysteryWho
              The Japanese really dug Planet of the Apes I gather, what with this guy, Time of the Ape, and those green monkey men from Godzilla. I'd never seen Dr. Gori before but his charms are readily apparent.
              Japan certainly wasn't immune to Ape Mania or Kong mania for that matter. Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla remains my favourite because of the green space apes.

Similiarly, Doctor Who in the early 1970s, added the Ogrons, which i always thought were POTA influenced.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                In my late teens, I actually drove around to various towns renting the volumes. I'd never heard of the show before and it was a cheaper Ultraman with a lot of humour. The dubbing is absolutely hilarious.

I got to meet Mel Welles just before he passed, I really wanted him to sign a Spectreman picture but he didn't have any and kind of shook his head and mumbled "Kids...". He seemed surprised I enjoyed it and I don't think he wanted to be remembered for it
                Yes, from what I’ve read, it seems like Welles adapted Spectreman only because it was a way for him to make some money to pay the bills. It also seems that his signature was all over the adaptation. It’s a shame that he wasn’t interested in being remembered for Spectreman, as that is the work of his that most people, who have seen his work, know.

It was a fun series! If I had known it was available on video, I would have tried to get my hands on everything available, as well!

- Ian

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

Apemania was indeed strong in Japan. In fact, there's a whole genus of vintage POTA printed material; amazing posters, programs and (exceedingly rare) manga… Bullmark Mego and the serial sofubi of Saru No Gundan and Spectreman. Apemania is the origin of Medicom/Nigo/BAPE's popularity in the contemporary pop culture.

Clearly anything featuring Dr. Gori, Karas and Rah is brilliant! Space Apes rule the universe! It's really a shame that none of the classic Asian toy companies ever secured the POTA licenses for their own interpretations. <think Jumbo Machinder Zaius!> What lovely things could have come.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎