X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by Type3Toys
    Try again. As mentioned before, I created and have been using the Type 3 body for the last 15 years.
    Seriously, with all due respect, how are you going to stop anyone from referring to them as Type 3? It's all shorthand terms, it's no official designation.

Likewise, this is referring to MEGO stuff, not your custom stuff. So it's a Mego Type 3, or Type 3 for short.

I dig your customs, I appreciate that you have used the term for years, have the domain, whatever, but it's apples and oranges.

At best your stuff can be referred to as Type 3 Toys, but when it comes to Mego, Type 3 is the new body style.

In order for you to legitimately try to lay claim for Type 3, you'd have to have owned the Mego name at some point. Just as if Mego developed a new body and called it Type S, then they'd still technically be the Type S Mego body because ONLY MEGO IS MEGO.

Everything else, is a custom, or a different brand/style that may or may not be similar.

And yours isn't even similar. No one is going to confuse your stuff with Type 3 of the Mego body. It's a moot point.

Giving it some weird name that no one can remember because someone has made customs and called them Type 3 is silly. When the first versions of the body are referred to as Type 0, Type 1, Type 2, etc. And the cat's out of the bag, lots of people in lots of places are already calling them Type 3. It's just kind a losing battle, IMO.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

It isn't Mego type 3, plain and simple. But, people can call it what they want. You guys pushing for "type 3" are being ridiculous, in my opinion. There is no real debate, and everybody can call it whatever they want. It is really more Emce, than "original Mego". It copies the original Mego body, but actually uses molds from the Emce body. It has all the flaws that the Emce body had. There are some facts for you. Please digest before pooping.

Comment

• wise guy
        Career Member
        • Dec 29, 2014

What body was Castaway Phantom on ?. I liked it better than anything listed here and have
        some still in great condition years later.New Mego seems like Emce with a different neck.

Comment

• jimbutsu
          Memory *is* RAM!
          • Apr 11, 2002

Originally posted by Mego Milk
          Type '18.

as in 2018.

BAM!
          That was kinda the point of type 2k... New Mego for the New Millennium!
          "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

All of these names including T1 and T2 are fan designated names. It's not like Mego called them T1 or T2 when the switch happened in the 70's, so none of the names are trademarked or anything like that.

I don't feel there is enough of a change design wise from an original T2 to a Modern T2 to truly make the jump to the name T3. A change in materials, sure, but not design.

I think Type 2K is a good solution as it gets to the point quick, but whatever shakes out is going to shake out with fans and sellers.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Let's take Type 3 off the table guys. Why would we do that to a valued member of the community. Move on.

Type 2K sounds good to me.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

I am going to pretend this thread never happened and continue to refer to the new Mego body as "the new Mego body" whenever I feel the need to express differentiation from an original. In my mind I reserve the right to think of them as "dicknecks" on days that I am particularly irritable that Mego still hasn't announced a Joey license.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

I think this thread has officially jumped the shark.
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                    I am going to pretend this thread never happened and continue to refer to the new Mego body as "the new Mego body" whenever I feel the need to express differentiation from an original. In my mind I reserve the right to think of them as "dicknecks" on days that I am particularly irritable that Mego still hasn't announced a Joey license.
                    Well, the name "dickneck" is guaranteed to stick.

"New custom on a dickneck body." It's pretty catchy.
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

In the olden times, this would have devolved into an argument over which collector coined the term because you know, it's important for future generations. #progress
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                        I like that. I want to see that being sold on Doc Mego's web site along with his Dick(Grayson)heads.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                          Moderation Engineer
                          • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                          In the olden times, this would have devolved into an argument over which collector coined the term because you know, it's important for future generations. #progress
                          I am pretty sure that Bill Berger first uttered the phrase "type3" back in '93.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                            Well, the name "dickneck" is guaranteed to stick.

"New custom on a dickneck body." It's pretty catchy.
                            Coincidentally I am working on a Dirk Benedict figure.

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

I don't think any of the original Megos ever had an official designation of T1 T2 etc. That was added by collectors. (Just like VWs -thank you if you understand that reference)

So any designation you give it is OK.

To be able to trade, repair, modify, and more with other collectors, it is good to have a common term.

Steve is probably correct in calling it the New Mego body. It is commonly used and easily understood.

John's T3 toys designation aside, there was a 36 year gap which makes it hard to call this simply the next number.

But again, I am in this for the sake of bickering. I will join the side with the most power or whoever can reward me financially.

Brian, I would like to be credited with naming rights.

Comment

• hussapocalypse
                                • Jan 10, 2011

I am here to throw a hissy fit and threaten everybody with lawsuits. Additionally I will stalk and harass you online; sabotage your ebay listings; downvote any online content you may produce; and doxx and slander you to anyone who will listen - it is the old school mego way!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎