X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Wanted WTB Sega Dreamcast game console

My youngest son (10) is looking for a Sega Dreamcast system. I can find them on ebay, but thought I'd reach out here in case someone has a system laying around they don't want anymore. Extra controller and games is also a plus.

Thanks!
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

Have you been to Grumpy Bob’s Emporium in Maryville? I think we got one there about 6 months ago.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Liu Bei
      Banned
      • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by drquest
      My youngest son (10) is looking for a Sega Dreamcast system. I can find them on ebay, but thought I'd reach out here in case someone has a system laying around they don't want anymore. Extra controller and games is also a plus.

Thanks!
      Some advice for buying a Dreamcast. Check the bottom of the Dreamcast to see what version of the console it is. It will have a number in a circle near the bottom right corner. If the number is a 0 or 1 it means it can play burned games. If it has a 2, it is a later edition of the console and it will not play burned games.

If you’re buying it for your son, I’d recommend getting him the earlier version that can play burned games. Dreamcast games can be expensive, and you don’t want the real discs getting scratched up. This way any real games you buy can be kept in their original condition, while your son plays the back-up (burned copy) of them.

Just out of curiosity, why does he want a Dreamcast? It’s a gorgeous system and there are some good games on it, but it was cancelled fairly quickly and doesn’t have a library of games anywhere close to that of an XBox or PlayStation 2.
      Last edited by Liu Bei; Jul 4, '19, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by boss
        Have you been to Grumpy Bob’s Emporium in Maryville? I think we got one there about 6 months ago.
        I have not but it looks like a cool shop and maybe I'll swing by.

I've looked at several Slackers in the area and even Gamestop seems to sell them. I was sort of looking for a bundle with some games.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Liu Bei
          Some advice for buying a Dreamcast. Check the bottom of the Dreamcast to see what version of the console it is. It will have a number in a circle near the bottom right corner. If the number is a 0 or 1 it means it can play burned games. If it has a 2, it is a later edition of the console and it will not play burned games.

If you’re buying it for your son, I’d recommend getting him the earlier version that can play burned games. Dreamcast games can be expensive, and you don’t want the real discs getting scratched up. This way any real games you buy can be kept in their original condition, while your son plays the back-up (burned copy) of them.

Just out of curiosity, why does he want a Dreamcast? It’s a gorgeous system and there are some good games on it, but it was cancelled fairly quickly and doesn’t have a library of games anywhere close to that of an XBox or PlayStation 2.
          I had heard about the earlier versions being able to play burned discs, and thanks for confirming that.

To your question about why he wants one, he's very interested in retro games, enjoys playing my old Atari's, my Jaguar and Lynx systems, old Gameboys etc.. He asked for a N64 for Christmas and I found him a nice one. It's hard to put a real answer on it aside from he appreciates the old stuff, sort of the way his dad does.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Liu Bei
            Banned
            • Mar 31, 2018

I had heard about the earlier versions being able to play burned discs, and thanks for confirming that.

To your question about why he wants one, he's very interested in retro games, enjoys playing my old Atari's, my Jaguar and Lynx systems, old Gameboys etc.. He asked for a N64 for Christmas and I found him a nice one. It's hard to put a real answer on it aside from he appreciates the old stuff, sort of the way his dad does.
            Very cool. As a retro gamer myself, I completely understand.

If it’s just the games he is worried about, you could always think about using a Raspberry Pi single board computer (about $35) to run RetroPie. With a decent sized flash card you could have a complete collection of games for every console from the Atari 2600 up to the Super Nintendo, with plenty of room for a chunk of games from the Sega CD and PS1.

With the new Raspberry Pi 4 I think we’ll even be able to run N64. It’s well worth the investment for retro gamers who want to play the classics on a modern HD tv for cheap.

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Liu Bei
              Very cool. As a retro gamer myself, I completely understand.

If it’s just the games he is worried about, you could always think about using a Raspberry Pi single board computer (about $35) to run RetroPie. With a decent sized flash card you could have a complete collection of games for every console from the Atari 2600 up to the Super Nintendo, with plenty of room for a chunk of games from the Sega CD and PS1.

With the new Raspberry Pi 4 I think we’ll even be able to run N64. It’s well worth the investment for retro gamers who want to play the classics on a modern HD tv for cheap.
              For him it's more than just the games. We have the Raspberry Pi, and modded Wii and WiiU that will play just about anything he wants to play, but he wants to play them on the real hardware. Again, it's hard for me to question as I think it's kind of cool as well.
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Liu Bei
                Banned
                • Mar 31, 2018

For him it's more than just the games. We have the Raspberry Pi, and modded Wii and WiiU that will play just about anything he wants to play, but he wants to play them on the real hardware. Again, it's hard for me to question as I think it's kind of cool as well.
                Oh no. I absolutely understand. My Wii is also softmodded, along with my Raspberry Pi. But I infinitely prefer to play on real hardware.

The hardware is like a time machine. For you, it can take you back to an earlier time in your life. For him, it can take him back to a time he never knew.

Hardware also has history. For me, at least, I often think about the developers. I wonder, do they know that I am still playing this up to 30 or more years later? If it’s a vintage system that didn’t originally belong to me, I sometimes wonder about the previous owner. How long did they love and play this? Do they miss it, or ever think back on it?

No. I totally understand the allure of the hardware. The hopes, the dreams, the joy, the frustration of so many people are wrapped up in these machines. There is a certain indescribable feeling one gets from firing them up and hearing them run again, all these years later. Actually the feeling isn’t indescribable. The Greeks described it nicely. Nostos (returning home) + Algo (pain) = nostalgia.

Comment

• SpideyDude73
                  • Jul 5, 2019

I've got one, bought NOS maybe 5 years ago. 2 controllers with rumble and memory thing. NFL 2k1.

I need a minty Target Wolfman... perhaps a partial trade?

Jesse

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by SpideyDude73
                    I've got one, bought NOS maybe 5 years ago. 2 controllers with rumble and memory thing. NFL 2k1.

I need a minty Target Wolfman... perhaps a partial trade?

Jesse
                    You have a PM
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢