Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Because Thor can be a frog or an alien moose, but as a woman it's really "Ragnarok"? Foster was Thor years ago in the comics and then the new Valkyrie--which I guess is somehow more acceptable a la Batgirl and Supergirl? This was all before Disney.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 27, 2010

Maharshala Ali is the new Blade, X-Men and F4 in the works, The real Mandarin will appear in Shang Chi, Scarlet Witch in Doctor Strange,Black Widow officially kicks off Phase 4

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        latest announcement is that Natalie Portman is returning as Jane Foster and will be taking on the mantle of Thor, the goddess of thunder, in Thor 4. Are you ****ing kidding me? Enough with this bull****. the MCU has clearly run it's course
        I don’t care if Thor becomes a woman...but at least let her be a tall Amazonian woman like Gal Gadot.

Natalie Portman is 5’ 3”...Thor, the Goddess of the Mini Me’s...

She’ll make a better Wolverine...
        Last edited by Hector; Jul 20, '19, 10:56 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Hector
          I don’t care if Thor becomes a woman...but at least let her be a tall Amazonian woman like Gal Gadot.
          Can she still have cancer? I think that makes anyone tall who fights it, like Jane...Amazon or not.

Also, Jane becoming Thor was a very early "What If" story from 1978.
          Last edited by Makernaut; Jul 20, '19, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Heh. The whole MCU is a What If. Sometimes it's a What The?
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Jason Aaron's major misstep with that whole story arc was having the name itself "Thor" carry over to Jane. Thor isn't a title, it's his NAME.
              As we know from the comics, any human/alien/creature deemed worthy enough may possess the POWER of Thor... but not the NAME.

Anyway, lots of cool MCU announcements from SDCC...
              Doctor Strange 2, Shang-Chi and the Fantastic Four!
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Maybe Dr. Strange 2 with Wanda's involvement is going to have her learning how to use her powers to warp reality and bring the mutants into the MCU from the Multiverse.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Shang-Chi might be the sleeper giant box office hit...especially if it catches fire in China.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                    As we know from the comics, any human/alien/creature deemed worthy enough may possess the POWER of Thor... but not the NAME.
                    That’s why I took issue with Portman’s casting. If she’s referred as Thor, then Houston, we have a problem. But if she goes by a different name, yet possesses Thor’s power, then that’s different, I’m cool with that.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                      That’s why I took issue with Portman’s casting. If she’s referred as Thor, then Houston, we have a problem. But if she goes by a different name, yet possesses Thor’s power, then that’s different, I’m cool with that.
                      completely agree. although I guess there was precedent in the 90's with the guy that became Thor for a while until the real Thor returned and then the other guy became Thunderstrike

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

There are two hammers right now right? Stormbringer and Mjolnir?
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MRP
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                          Jason Aaron's major misstep with that whole story arc was having the name itself "Thor" carry over to Jane. Thor isn't a title, it's his NAME.

Anyway, lots of cool MCU announcements from SDCC...
                          Doctor Strange 2, Shang-Chi and the Fantastic Four!
                          Except when Erik Masterson wielded Mjolnir in the comics he was Thor, not something else. Only when Odinson reclaimed Mjolnir and he got another weapon did he become Thunderstrike. Someone else was Thor through much of the 90s and was still called Thor, so the precedent was there for Jane to be called Thor while she wielded Mjolnir. And Mjolnir, in the Marvel mythos, grants the power of Thor. Beta Ray Bill, while wilding Mjolnir for a short time (2-3 issues) never took on the mantle of Thor for an extended period of time to take the name of Thor. He got his own weapon almost immediately.

-M
                          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Likely a non-issue in practice, as they are Steve, Tony, Peter, etc. most of the time anyhow. I am more surprised that-- given the way Portman has tried to quit the MCU previously-- they are offered her the opportunity. Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie or Jaimie Alexander's Lady Sif both seem like they are more deserving, both as actors and as characters.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
                              Likely a non-issue in practice, as they are Steve, Tony, Peter, etc. most of the time anyhow. I am more surprised that-- given the way Portman has tried to quit the MCU previously-- they are offered her the opportunity. Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie or Jaimie Alexander's Lady Sif both seem like they are more deserving, both as actors and as characters.
                              Agreed.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

I am not as excited about Phase 4. I think the lack of A-list heroes is really apparent. I'm open to anything, but less excited about Disney+ than films.

What about Ant-Man?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎