X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

Where did all the games go?

I updated my iPhone and thought I'd download a game for those moments when I have a few minutes to kill.

Yikes... in-app purchases have completely taken over. It was hard to find anything that wasn't pay-to-play. I have tried some of those games with in-app purchases but the business model just irks me. It becomes obvious after awhile that you have to escalate the spending to get where you need to go. it's crack cocaine. Spend 2.99 for a pack to get a little hit.

I would much rather just buy a game outright, that I could play even without cell or internet service. I travel a lot and get stuck in places without either.

I know... I know... I'm showing my old fogey-ism...

As I type this, I'm pining for the good old days when I bought a video game for the console and the game was actually finished before it was sold in the store. I haven't purchased any recent video game that didn't need updates downloaded immediately out of the box, and then needed bug-fix updates along the way. No internet? No gaming.

Anyway... rant over. What are you playing on your phone?
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Animal Crossing:Pocket Camp is one of the few games where buying items is a must.

Comment

• megoapesnut
      The name says it all!
      • Dec 3, 2007

Not just games, mobile and desktop apps are all going the way of the subscription model and I don't like it either. I was trying to get an equalizer for my phone the other day and all of them were priced per year or month. A favorite app we use on our iPads at work went to a 6 month subscription. Adobe went to a monthly cost for their creative suite years ago. I understand why they are doing it but it's not something I am happy with.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Cell and Tablet games have long been glorified spyware. Just look at the all permissions you have to agree to. If you want gaming on the go get a 2DS. Real games, huge library, no permissions, no in game purchases or XBOX style mandatory installs.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Cell and Tablet games have long been glorified spyware. Just look at the all permissions you have to agree to. If you want gaming on the go get a 2DS. Real games, huge library, no permissions, no in game purchases or XBOX style mandatory installs.
          Good advice... I'll check that out. Although, ideally I'd not like to have to pack around another device, that may be the only option...

On a similar vein... I had the repairman come and look at our old Maytag washer recently. He said for me to get parts and keep it as long as I can, that all washers and dryers are pretty much made at the same place these days and the only difference is the name tag they put on them. He said they are all manufactured to wear out sooner these days.

I'm starting to believe the theories that forever light bulbs and 200 MPG fuels have been invented but have been squelched by big corporations and government... what have I become?

Comment

• neogelion
            Museum Patron
            • Mar 11, 2009

Try Major Mayhem and Major Mayhem 2. You don't have to spend anything to upgrade and there is a lot to do.
            Zombie? Vampire? Evil clown?!? Yes, please.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎