• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by AAAAA
    Matchbox's Maxx FX
    That's just a straight reuse of a Mego mold, not applicable.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megoat
      A Therefore Experience
      • Jun 10, 2003

Originally posted by ABMAC
      Yeah, I figured most people would vote for their favourites. I was just trying to get people to think about it a little more before going with their first choice.

The best Mego-like figures would, technically, have to be the ones that used actual Mego molds, like Multiple's Menudo figures and Timm Mee's western line.

Hmmm. I suppose if I'm going to "think a little more" about it, then I need to know what is meant by "best" and also, what is meant by "Mego like".

Comment

• hobub
        Ghost of a Dead Indian
        • Jun 18, 2001

TONG!

Bingo!

Originally posted by ABMAC
        Bogi (Tong), Paco's predecessor.

They made Pipo and Dondy Clowns, Western Legends, Vader Abraham, Demo Girl, Demo Man, Action Apeman, Sandokan, Ninjas, and the 1776 People.
        Those Indians are KickAss and they also made Danny Dare figures that have big jim type sculpts. They are very articulate and not held together with rubber bands.

Last edited by hobub; Jan 3, '08, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by highquality
          AHI's First Version Universal Monsters are about as close to regular Megos as any knockoff figure I've owned. Their heads are a similar rigid vinyl like Mego and their clothes are sorta close. It's a real shame quality dropped off incredibly afterwords.
          Pretty much why I voted AHI too
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• jds1911a1
            Alan Scott is the best GL
            • Aug 8, 2007

LJN for the vehicles alone. The swat van, rookies squad car and of course sqad 51. Less toylike in scale than the batmobile and very ornate scuplting on all that gear. The clothing while basic in colors was accurate for the uniforms from the shows. LJN loses on head sculpting but the bodies are just as good as megos and the t2 ljn with the bicep swivel rocks

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

Had to bring this thread back [from way back!] for Palitoy since he's lost in FB-hell trying to get info about the Tong universe, referenced in a trade pub.

This is why I always say I consider DANNY DARE (KO series) the enemy of the all mighty Action Apeman.
              Last edited by Confessional; Jan 13, '19, 1:53 PM. Reason: … Austrialian playtime!

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

There's at least 3 or 4 body colors, 4 or 5 heads, and clothing/accessories packs including cowboy, karate and a couple different soldiers.
                Last edited by Confessional; Jan 13, '19, 1:53 PM. Reason: … we help each other!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

This thread preceded my membership, I'm pleased to discover it--very interesting.

I voted for Lincoln--I've never been into knock-offs except as custom fodder, but I do covet some of the various monsters, particularly the Lincoln Phantom of the Opera.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

If mego-like means 8.inch, then AHI Monsters.

LJN had the best construction, but weak licenses. Tomland had the best original designs, but horrible builds.

If Mego-like is more flexible, then Remco Monsters.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Ooh, Remco Monsters . Now those I did collect.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• newlyknighted
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 21, 2010

Is EMCE toys eligible? I love their Trek and Monster releases.
                        If not, give me the Lincoln toy company. The Lincoln Frankenstein's Monster was the one monster I had as a kid that terrorized my Mego super guys and super gals. I loved him, and still have him on display.
                        Special nods to Playmates Toys I collected as an adult for the Star Trek 9" series, and Gabriel Toys for my childhood Lone Ranger and Tonto.
                        I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• Neutron X
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 22, 2007

There are many great pieces but I have to say AHI for the Creature alone! I had the 1st Issue AHI Mummy and a buddy had Frankenstein I remember them having epic battles.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
                            There's at least 3 or 4 body colors, 4 or 5 heads, and clothing/accessories packs including cowboy, karate and a couple different soldiers.
                            thanks man, you got any photos. I guess I was stymied becuase I've never seen a Black Danny Dare before.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
                              Maker & Whatnot
                              • Aug 8, 2012

Sadly most of the old online resources for the elusive company that Tong Industries Co. was, as well as my contacts down under, have disappeared over the years. When I started collecting oddball apes, I started with Tong just because they seemed the hardest to find. Like others have mentioned, that led to discovering that Tong made many figures that were well-made knock-offs, sold primarily in Australia and others in Asia and Europe. It's worth noting the clothing and accessories were often better quality than the figures they riffed-on, and the unique bodies held up well and are surprisingly easy to work on.

Like South America, Central America, and Mexico, it seems that Australia didn't have a toy collecting culture until the late 20th C, so there isn't much in the way of preserved documentation, catalogs, etc., or perhaps no one has shared it with the world yet. [your trade publication gives me hope!] I was always trying to find some cool advertising that showed the whole Tong universe of figures, but never have.

I knew there was black figure because about 15 years+ ago I found a single Tong hand/wrist-combo in a dingy lot of broken parts and accessories… back then I'd do just about anything to track down a Tong boot or rifle. What's supercool about that trade ad is that it shows the head too. I've never found/seen one before, only several versions of the BJ/DD (Soldiers and Astronaut) heads, Action Apeman, Indian, Cowboy/Sheriff, etc.

I'll take some pics of what I still have over the weekend and post-'em-up here for reference. I'm sure there a few other old MM members that have/had rare Tong, maybe we can piece together a new reference page.
                              Last edited by Confessional; Feb 22, '19, 11:25 AM. Reason: … Aussie Apes rule!

Comment

• Confessional
                                Maker & Whatnot
                                • Aug 8, 2012

Well, 3 weekends later… here's some my Tong pics for reference including a collage of webgrabs:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎