X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

More old shows getting ready to come back to Sony Pictures TV

Think the upcoming season’s wave of series re-imaginings is the biggest you’ve seen? Someone hold Norman Lear‘s beer, as the television legend is celebrating his 96th birthday with a two-year first look deal with Sony Pictures TV. As part of the deal, Sony Pictures TV would have the option to re-imagine titles such as All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Good Times, Maude, and Mary Hartman. Sony Pictures TV and Lear have had a solid working relationship before the announcement of this deal, with Sony owning the Norman Lear library. The studio produces Netflix‘s reboot of Lear’s classic series One Day at a Time.
    I just don't know about these shows getting updates. I remember watching them when they first came on but my mind cannot think how you would update them. One thing the dvd sets will sell so people can watch the originals.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

I don't think most of those would work today.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Lame, lame, and lame!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

in the overly politically correct times we live in, most of these shows would not work. they would have to change them so much that other than the name there would be no resemblance

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          in the overly politically correct times we live in, most of these shows would not work. they would have to change them so much that other than the name there would be no resemblance
          Exactly. What they are really getting is the brand recognition that comes with these classic names. They will be drastically different shows.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

One Day At a Time was updated successfully, and IMO some of the other Lear shows have seen de facto remakes.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

All in the Family … Without racial slurs, it will just be Rush Limbaugh and family

The Jeffersons … A rich black family living the good life is no longer a curious oddity

Good Times … This COULD work if it was done as a drama

Maude … Seems "feminist" has changed meanings these last few years --- today a feminist must be a lesbian and hate men (actual women's rights is secondary)

Mary Hartman... most controversial part is the gay character --- today, it's nothing

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

I blame Pali and his Maude jokes.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                  All in the Family … Without racial slurs, it will just be Rush Limbaugh and family

The Jeffersons … A rich black family living the good life is no longer a curious oddity

Good Times … This COULD work if it was done as a drama

Maude … Seems "feminist" has changed meanings these last few years --- today a feminist must be a lesbian and hate men (actual women's rights is secondary)

Mary Hartman... most controversial part is the gay character --- today, it's nothing
                  Agreed across the board...
                  sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

I'd rather see the old shows come back with the original actors, to see where their live has gone since we saw them last. How are the Jefferson's doing in this new era? Are they still together and rich? That type of approach.
                    Why not just make "NEW" shows? New ideas, not remaking what we used to like.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

^Be kind of hard to do. Don't think there are many of the original actors left from The Jeffersons.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                        ^Be kind of hard to do. Don't think there are many of the original actors left from The Jeffersons.
                        Lionel and Jenny, still alive.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                          Lionel and Jenny, still alive.
                          Actually the real Lionel, Mike Evans is dead

The fake Lionel, Damon Evans is still alive.

Comment

• Brazoo
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
                            You are hanging out with a wildly different bunch of feminists than I am.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
                              You are hanging out with a wildly different bunch of feminists than I am.
                              From what it seems (at least in my little neck of the woods) the name "feminist" has become a bad word - even for women who might have proudly used that title 30+ years ago... The women who did adopt that title today would be overly-radical to any average 70's woman who called herself a feminist.

At least that's the way I see it

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎