Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Han Solo Greedo scene has been altered again, yes again, for Disney plus.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Star Wars Han Solo Greedo scene has been altered again, yes again, for Disney plus.

I'm not joking. A shot of Greedo insulting Han, in an alien language, has been digitally added to the already digitally altered scene where they were altered to shoot each other at the same time. Which, of course, was changed from the previous digital alteration of Greedo shooting first. Apparently this was an pre-Disney sale unused Lucas edit that Disney decided to add. Instead of you know, just restoring the scene. Good grief. I give up. We are NEVER going to get the theatrical cuts.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 12, '19, 7:49 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Maclunkey!
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

^ LOL, Bruce.

I just laugh now. In fact, I like it. One more dig from George to the uber sensitive fans who go ballistic.

At this point, if I want to watch high quality presentations of the unaltered trilogy, I got 'em, so who cares? Have at it, guys... make more changes I say. It's sort of fun, and kinda funny at this point.

I laughed.

If anything, it hurts more knowing these latest transfers were struck with the intention of 3D releases, which we will likely never see, because people aren't as cool as they used to be when we had "Creature from the Black Lagoon" in the 50s and "Metalstorm" and "Spacehunter" in the 80s.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Hopefully, the word "Maclunkey" will become a phrase we use when a filmmaker can't stop tampering with his work, even when it's a detriment.

I saw what he was trying to do here but it didn't work and I'm glad it's the last of this non-stop obsessive tinkering with something that wasn't broken.

As a side note, it's amazing how fast after the launch of this platform that this got discovered.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Wait for the Disney-fied uber cut where nobody shoots, Han and Greedo resolve their dispute by talking it out, then give each other hugs. They'll probably give Jabba CGI abs too, cause you know...fat shaming.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
            Hopefully, the word "Maclunkey" will become a phrase we use when a filmmaker can't stop tampering with his work, even when it's a detriment.
            I'd be surprised if it doesn't. It certainly deserves to be.

Lucas has come a long way from this.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. "

"In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be “replaced” by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten."
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MysteryWho
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 16, 2008

Great new term. I resent the difficulty of finding original versions of the first Star Wars trilogy, but I have to admit I find all the weird tampering kind of funny. The new version of the Greedo/Han duel is hilarious! As long as I can get the version I want, tamper away! Ridley Scott understands this, and that is why there are so many versions of Bladerunner around. The only one that really burns me is THX-1138. To get the analog version you have to buy vhs. That ain't right.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Lucas can add Jar Jar and Han doing a song and dance number in Mos Eisley if he wants. Whatever makes him happy. I don't care. That's never been the problem. It's the suppression of the originals and the attempt to alter history is what I find so distasteful. If the special editions and the theatrical versions were equally available and in the same quality it would have never been an issue or controversy. The last time the theatrical versions were officially available was in 2004 as low resolution bonus feature taken from an already horribly outdated and poor quality non anamorphic laser disc transfer.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

For me the worst change ever was removing the Yub Nub song from Jedi

Everything else is like, meh

Comment

• msenger76
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 3, 2009

Every movie except star wars, people scream for years "Give us the directors cut! we need to see this vision how the director wanted it to be seen!"

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

If they intend to release the original cuts, this is absolute genius. It brings the debate of the Lucas edits back into the public conversation and allows them to swoop in and say "the fans have spoken, and we listened."

Also... to sorta echo Mikey... as bad as the Greedo edits are, I think the addition of Jabba may be worse.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

where is this scene? I just watched through the segment in the cantina and did not see anything new

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

There's a lot of cringy stuff added to SW but I think Jedi actually faired the worst. Between the abomination that is Jedi Rocks, Hayden Christensen's head digitally covering Sebastian Shaw and Vader's NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!, I find it totally unwatchable. I also really miss Yub Nub.
                          Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 13, '19, 6:59 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by msenger76
                            Every movie except star wars, people scream for years "Give us the directors cut! we need to see this vision how the director wanted it to be seen!"
                            I don't, necessarily, agree with that. One that sticks out in my mind is Dracula 1979. People have been bitterly complaining about the desaturated version since it first replaced the theatrical cut on VHS in the early 90s. No one asked for or wanted the color to be drained out of the movie.

I still have zero problems with director cuts or special editions as long as they don't replace the theatrical versions.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

I sometimes wonder if he just fell into a puddle filled with gold with Star Wars. It seems like he’s not even really sure what made the original movie popular in the first place.
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎