Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayraytee
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2011

I was really hopeful when FTC started the DC remegos and then I bought some of them and the quality just was never there. I sold most of them off and gave a few to my kids once they were old enough to be interested. But they fall apart almost as soon as you take them out of the packaging. Hands fall off, heads fall off, arms strung too tight, all of that stuff. I used to restring my Megos back in the day but they lasted weeks at least with hard play and FTC stuff lasts maybe a couple of hours.

The quality of the EMCE/DSt sets were faaaar superior to the FTC stuff. But I stopped buying when they started rehashing characters before even getting all the main characters out. Especially considering we were only scheduled to get like 4 a year or whatever. What am I supposed to do buy two characters then wait a year for them to remake a few characters and then buy another one?

I've said this a long time ago, but some companies just don't know their audience very well. Megos will never again sell in the mass market, never gonna really happen at least not successfully. You have to know what the collectors want, give it to them and give it to them with high enough level of quality and they will pay for multiple copies. It's why sideshow is successful, and the new captain Action was not. Sideshow doesn''t try and get in toys r us and market to the mass market. They know their audience and cater to them online.

Its why the disney star wars movies are less and less popular with each one, they are losing the main star wars audience by both trying to push to a wider audience and by lower the quality of the writing. Churn em out quickly. The guys that buy cases of star wars figures and see the movies in the theaters 100 times are going to stop. And guess what? They will not be replaced by the general movie going audience, they are fickle and will see the new star wars once and then move on to the next movie.

You make great remegos and I will be the first in line to buy multiple figures of each one. You churn em out like crap and I won't buy. You try and hit the mass market by doing multiple deadpools and spiderman and I won't buy... and neither will the mass market because they don't care about Megos. they will move from one fad to the next on a whim.
    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• ovenmitt
      Persistent Member
      • May 26, 2009

I hope we hear something soon on future of Marvel and Star Trek reMegos. Time for a 2018 FTC interview with Anthony.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by ovenmitt
        I hope we hear something soon on future of Marvel and Star Trek reMegos. Time for a 2018 FTC interview with Anthony.
        Definitely would like to see Star Trek reMegos continue, I have a feeling FTC won't bother to get the Trek license, so forget any hope of that, Marvel there's a chance, but if it hasn't already happend we can probably kick that idea to the curve as well.

Comment

• ovenmitt
          Persistent Member
          • May 26, 2009

What will happen at 2018 C2E2 April 6-8 where the DST Marvel sets were announced 4 years ago April 2014? Another surprise? FTC does not attend cons, though.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Some good points there, Jay.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by jayraytee
              I was really hopeful when FTC started the DC remegos and then I bought some of them and the quality just was never there. I sold most of them off and gave a few to my kids once they were old enough to be interested. But they fall apart almost as soon as you take them out of the packaging. Hands fall off, heads fall off, arms strung too tight, all of that stuff. I used to restring my Megos back in the day but they lasted weeks at least with hard play and FTC stuff lasts maybe a couple of hours.

The quality of the EMCE/DSt sets were faaaar superior to the FTC stuff. But I stopped buying when they started rehashing characters before even getting all the main characters out. Especially considering we were only scheduled to get like 4 a year or whatever. What am I supposed to do buy two characters then wait a year for them to remake a few characters and then buy another one?

I've said this a long time ago, but some companies just don't know their audience very well. Megos will never again sell in the mass market, never gonna really happen at least not successfully. You have to know what the collectors want, give it to them and give it to them with high enough level of quality and they will pay for multiple copies. It's why sideshow is successful, and the new captain Action was not. Sideshow doesn''t try and get in toys r us and market to the mass market. They know their audience and cater to them online.

Its why the disney star wars movies are less and less popular with each one, they are losing the main star wars audience by both trying to push to a wider audience and by lower the quality of the writing. Churn em out quickly. The guys that buy cases of star wars figures and see the movies in the theaters 100 times are going to stop. And guess what? They will not be replaced by the general movie going audience, they are fickle and will see the new star wars once and then move on to the next movie.

You make great remegos and I will be the first in line to buy multiple figures of each one. You churn em out like crap and I won't buy. You try and hit the mass market by doing multiple deadpools and spiderman and I won't buy... and neither will the mass market because they don't care about Megos. they will move from one fad to the next on a whim.

Sad and depressing...but I think you might be right on all points.
              sigpic

Comment

• noelani72
                27inaleon
                • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by jayraytee

^^this.
                FTC has disappointed me greatly, and I really had high hopes.
                I was disappointed when EMCE didn't get the DC license.
                While there are a few FTC figures I like, I refuse to pay retail ever since that very first Batman, Robin, Joker, Riddler wave. Any FTC figure that is in my collection has been purchased secondhand, or at discount at megomeet. They act like they don't care about their customers and the overall attitude has soured my tastes.
                How many customs have you seen me make and post here in the past two years? One? Two? Maaaybe three? Somehow, sadly, FTC has nearly completely turned me off from extending my Mego collection. It is so great, I have strongly considered getting rid of a great deal of it to free up space in my home - the interest just is not there anymore. FTC doesn't come and participate on the boards, despite being begged to...FTC doesn't come to megomeet or anything else. Call me selfish, but I really got turned off posting my customs here because my brain felt they come here just to lurk and copy the customizer's ideas. They need to support the people supporting them.
                Now, having that said - if FTC would stop their ridiculous pricing, I'd pay retail for Scooby Doo figures at $19.99 each....NOT $32.99 or whatever the hell it is. I have a grand daughter who is turning 2yrs old and she LOVES, I mean ADORES, Scooby Doo...
                EMCE Trek, EMCE Monsters....hands down the top ReMEgo's ever made.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

For me FTC is good for clothes and accessories, you always find something they have that will work for a custom and the prices are fair.

But that's about it, with the exception of the 66 Batman series, which honestly sank with the last batch or two
                  series along with big heads and cheap bodies, one to many variants and like mentioned above quality seems to be going down but the prices seem to go up.

I also agree the top repros made were the EMCE Trek and Universal Monsters.
                  Last edited by TrekStar; Mar 9, '18, 8:54 PM.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

True on all fronts.

Past is prologue so I tried, really tried, to warn about the devaluation FTC was going to create. You could see the exact same pattern in sports cards and VHS/DVD collections that occurred years before. Replicas are only worthwhile when you're taking about something non-existent and Megos are abundant online. I think EMCE/DST understood this, but the Commandments of Hasbro were made to stifle any possible momentum.

Originally posted by noelani72
                    ^^this.
                    FTC has disappointed me greatly, and I really had high hopes.
                    I was disappointed when EMCE didn't get the DC license.
                    While there are a few FTC figures I like, I refuse to pay retail ever since that very first Batman, Robin, Joker, Riddler wave. Any FTC figure that is in my collection has been purchased secondhand, or at discount at megomeet. They act like they don't care about their customers and the overall attitude has soured my tastes.
                    How many customs have you seen me make and post here in the past two years? One? Two? Maaaybe three? Somehow, sadly, FTC has nearly completely turned me off from extending my Mego collection. It is so great, I have strongly considered getting rid of a great deal of it to free up space in my home - the interest just is not there anymore. FTC doesn't come and participate on the boards, despite being begged to...FTC doesn't come to megomeet or anything else. Call me selfish, but I really got turned off posting my customs here because my brain felt they come here just to lurk and copy the customizer's ideas. They need to support the people supporting them.
                    Now, having that said - if FTC would stop their ridiculous pricing, I'd pay retail for Scooby Doo figures at $19.99 each....NOT $32.99 or whatever the hell it is. I have a grand daughter who is turning 2yrs old and she LOVES, I mean ADORES, Scooby Doo...
                    EMCE Trek, EMCE Monsters....hands down the top ReMEgo's ever made.

Comment

• tllgn
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 6, 2010

^^ if you folks dont like FTC ,no one says you have too ,or even buy them .Is FTC perfect ? ,no ,not really ,but neither was EMCE /diamond or Emce/bif bang pow .
                      i collected a bunch of retro megos from all the companies that made them , i like the format ,i would have loved the Emce peter parker ,but his head was to small,Capt pikes head to big ,universal monsters -wolfman and dracula -didnt look much like the movies ,bif bang pows figures had large heads on some ,Steve didnt look much
                      like Lee majors ,Hank and dean on bodies that were to buff for these skinny guys .and Ftc with their issues .despite all these things i still love the fact that
                      mego style figures are being produced ,and FTC is now the only one left (for the moment)thats doing the MEGO -retro mego figures .and i think they should get Kudos
                      for that .cause once their done with it (hopefully not for a long while ) that may be the end of the format .so i intend to enjoy the ride despite the price .countless varients ,Do i buy them all ? .not at all ,i buy the ones i like which is a lot .so to the dissapointed who are out there -not everyone is happy about anything .

Comment

• rche
                        channeling Bob Wills
                        • Mar 26, 2008

just noting that FTC is not the only player left in the game, tho they are certainly high profile. NECA is making some fantastic 8" mego like figures.

Comment

• jacoblb
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 7, 2009

I guess there's no middle ground. Just an observation, not an indictment, on one hand, there are posts by folks expressing frustration at how there's too much product to keep up with so they don't bother...or they've gotten bored with their FTC Batman 66 figures and sold them off.

Conversely, there are posts where people will abandon support for something solely because things don't come out timely.

Hopefully DST will move away from reMego and the brands we want will relaunch. I'd love to continue new 1:9 scale Marvel and Star Trek figures. But I know their involvement is probably due to having deep pockets for licensing and up front factory fees.

Comment

• tllgn
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 6, 2010

Originally posted by rche
                            just noting that FTC is not the only player left in the game, tho they are certainly high profile. NECA is making some fantastic 8" mego like figures.
                            yes but those NECA figures are not retro mego .the bodies are not at all like the bodies mego/FTC/emce/ used .their not the same make .although some were
                            cool like vacation/apes .i bought some ,however they dont have that mego touch .but thats just my opinion .for others that works for them ,and thats what i like.collect and buy what you like .

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

No company gets kudos from me for being "last man standing", only for their product and what they do moving forward after the dust settles.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by tllgn
                                yes but those NECA figures are not retro mego .the bodies are not at all like the bodies mego/FTC/emce/ used .their not the same make .although some were
                                cool like vacation/apes .i bought some ,however they dont have that mego touch .but thats just my opinion .for others that works for them ,and thats what i like.collect and buy what you like .
                                You are absolutey right. If it doesn't have removable clothing and accessories it aint Mego like to me. NECA molded shoes take away customizing fun which is part of what made Mego unique and fun.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎