X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Pimp my Mego Ride

Stuck in gridlocked city traffic yesterday, the ice storm still had the traffic lights out of commission and the Christmas eve chaos was even more unruly.

Decided to get out of the car and pop into a thrift store and these two vehicles jumped at at me.

Didn't have time to stop by the Chinese Mall where they sell Tamiya Spray paints in the model shop filled with Gundam models, settled for Michaels instead (which was on the way home). They had blue in the Testors model spray paint, but no brown shade that worked for me. Settled on a can of Krylon, just to see what I could do with it.

That evening, I went to bed full of steak and lobster, and had drifted off to sleep when i got a call from my Aunt... my elderly Uncle had slipped and fallen on the ice, cracked his head. Rushed to the hospital, hung out, got them back home and settled. Was too wound up to fall asleep, so i started painting the vehicles.

Testors was pretty good... wasn't as easy to control and get as smooth a coat as the Tamiya's. But it was a dream compared to the way the Krylon went on so uneven and drippy. Ah well, live and learn. Added another coat the next morning, hopefully it works out.

Last edited by samurainoir; Dec 25, '13, 6:27 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • TomStrong
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2011

What are your plans for these? Can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
      Time to feed the cat
      • Dec 30, 2007

That krylon is a great paint to work with

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Orange is the new pink. Except I ran out of orange. Pick some up tomorrow at the Pacific Mall.

Masking tape didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. Going to try the silly putty method next time.

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Popped by Gundam Base at the Pacific Mall and got the Tamiya paints I needed. Place was a zoo.

Got some really good advice from EMCE Hammer about how to handle vehicles, prepping it for paint and the kinds of paint NOT to use (Lacquer potentially melts the plastic). I'll definitely handle the base coat painting differently next time, and got some excellent tips moving forward with this. Hoping that decals will cover up the most glaring painting errors.

The white gloss on the bumper/grill is not quite working out the way I want it to. Will likely switch it back to a chrome of some sort.

Last edited by samurainoir; Dec 27, '13, 9:19 PM.

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
            Time to feed the cat
            • Dec 30, 2007

looking pretty good ! I think you missed your true calling, you could have been a paint and body guy at the dealership down the street.

Comment

• megoscott
              Founding Partner
              • Nov 17, 2006

Digging the color scheme on that jeep.
              This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

My buddy Ubermanx put this in my hands on the weekend, so now I've added it my impossibly long list of projects in progress! Hopefully I can get to the Michael's or one of the hobby stores tomorrow before they close for the holidays, in order to get the base colour spray paint I want for it.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Just looked up MegoScott's Lost Van tutorial... should prove helpful!
                  One of the best scenes in Lost meets one of the best Mego World's Greatest Super Hero accessories! I've been wanting to do this one ever si...

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎