Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

The whole debate over the She-Ra reboot is kind of a mess right now.

Long time fans are caught in the middle between two very loud groups that never really liked the original series in the first place. One side are the usual stereotypical dude bros that hated the original POP cartoon because it made MOTU girly are now upset because the reboot She-Ra is not "sexy" enough. The other side are fans of the people behind the reboot but not really old school POP fans. They hated the original series because it was "too stereotypically feminine" and they automatically lump anyone that doesn't like the reboot into the perv group of wanting She-Ra to be hot. I don't dislike the reboot because She-Ra is or isn't "sexy." I dislike it because the character designs are unrecognizable.

I'm just like, you know, good grief.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mary Canary
      I think Melendy feels like old school fans shouldn't be made to feel ashamed for preferring the original aesthetic.
      I found the facebook post by Melendy that you were talking about.

"A fan sent this to me...I know I may be taking a chance posting and commenting on this, but my heart has been hurting for the comments some people and publicity machines are bombarding the internet with regarding some fans of the original She Ra series.
      I'm actually glad that in this published article someone finally has said "enough" to the kind of devisive marketing and negative publicity that has been promoted regarding the fact that some people might actually prefer the original series. It's a big world, and there's enough room for many cartoons. But, because the She Ra name is being used to do a "new" series, I believe you must respect the admiration of fans of the original, and not because you have the power of marketing or an ego trip put them into categories that denigrate their character. In meeting thousands of fans, I've NEVER come across any person who did not have a great heart and genuine love for the integrity and pure intention of the original series. It changed their lives for the better. It gave them comfort, laughter and joy with a moral view that is exceptional 33 years later. I love each and every one of you...JMHO"

Thank you She-Ra.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
        my heart has been hurting for the comments some people and publicity machines are bombarding the internet with regarding some fans of the original She Ra series.
        I've been really thinking about Melendy's comments. She is right the marketing and PR of the new She-Ra cartoon has been really negative. It's not been "Look how great our reboot is" it's been "Look how terrible the fans of the original series are." Yeah, there is a lot of toxicity in fandom right now. But unlike some groups, She-Ra fans aren't exactly known for being hostile or toxic. It's really unfair to lump the majority fans of the classic series in with the trolls. It seems more like a cynical PR move to silence/shame classic fans then to stand up to the few trolls that never liked She-Ra to begin with.

The whole thing is just kind of depressing.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Shaming the core audience of older fans is a really stupid bit of marketing. Would the property even be worth a reboot without the fans keeping it relevant in some fashion over the years? Sure, kids and new fans might glom onto it, but if you're not attempting to work the nostalgia vibe, then why not just create something new, even if it's kind of a rip-off? Talking about biting the hand that feeds you.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            Shaming the core audience of older fans is a really stupid bit of marketing. Would the property even be worth a reboot without the fans keeping it relevant in some fashion over the years?
            That's what really gets me about this. Beyond the ridiculous levels of secrecy, they've only revealed 4 character designs, and the absence of Swift Wind is the just plain mean spiritedness of the marketing and PR.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              Shaming the core audience of older fans is a really stupid bit of marketing.
              It worked gangbusters for "Ghostbusters : Answer the call"

ohhhhhh....
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                It worked gangbusters for "Ghostbusters : Answer the call"

A few differences. Ghostbusters 3 was never going to happen because of Bill Murray. There was a coordinated harassment campaign against the movie. Leslie Jones was harassed unmercifully on social media.

That's not really happening here. A few trolls complained She-Ra wasn't sexy and that has been used as a weapon against the She-Ra fan base as a whole which again isn't exactly known for being hostile or toxic.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎