X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
    Stoklassa hated most of the marvel movies too including Civil War. Also, both of them seem to think the character is a joke, so I disagree with them on this one.
    Civil War is so epic in the comic books. On screen, it was nothing more than a scuffle at the airport parking lot, lol...
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
      Civil War is so epic in the comic books.
      I personally never read it but I enjoyed the movie.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by megomania

And wow looks like I'm in the total minority
        Maybe around here on this Museum forum.... otherwise, it seems to being more slammed than praised..... but its still early yet-----maybe I'm getting the wrong impression.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

well, it's up to over 122 million in domestic box office, less than 2 weeks, so it seems to be doing okay so far

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

Yes, it’s a huge hit overseas so the future is bright for this franchise. The word of mouth is generally good, too, which will help.

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
              well, it's up to over 122 million in domestic box office, less than 2 weeks, so it seems to be doing okay so far
              Maybe.

I may be wrong. But I think Aquaman's current Box office $596.6 million on a "$160–200 million" budget could potentially still be hovering in something as bad as "bomb" zone
              as far as financial success...

....let alone critical & cultural success which is more what I was personally alluding to with the posts I made in this thread, which although I may not have been clear on, is what I meant.

To wit: Justice League was a reported Budget of $300 million, buuuuuut eventually had a publicized "break-even" number leaked of a $700 million budget/outlay----

simply: Promotion alone can double a film budget like this----

Not to mention the common practice of low-balling that promo budget number, because throwing around the ACTUAL number could potentially be embarrassing to everyone involved (studio/investors/franchise owners/etc.).

More specifically, as far as "promo budget effort" its enough for investors to know that WB at least gave it the ol' college try, but usually its not worth revealing that after as big a blockbuster promo budget they incorporated, they STILL couldn't make a movie profitable enough to break even.....so, even after a huge promo budget number is assessed, it STILL may be more than even THAT number----just to save face.

And I'd prefer not going too far into the reputation of the Justice Leauge movie which could have single-handedly lost them their Superman actor.

According to wikipedia, Aquaman currently has a Box office of $658 million and budget of "$160–200 million" ----which is, all aforementioned above things considered, potentially not that far off from falling around Justice League's numbers.

Elapsed TIME is needed to assess what's really happened with success/failure of this kind of movie.

A few months from now, the dust will really settle on the NUMBERS (real or imagined) and, more importantly, the REPUTATION of the Aquaman film as dictated by overall cultural impact/YouTube/Internet (moreso than mainstream critics like the RT crew of usual suspects----mostly unreliable shills nowadays).

Of course, the DCEU (similar to, while smaller in power than, the MCU) has a kind of elasticity that can absorb a certain amount of failure before finally crumbling...

And we are at a very funny time for the DCEU----whereas following SS, WW was kind of holding together the stability/credibility of the whole DCEU on her own..... if Aquaman comes through with a WW kind of rep, followed by a similar hit with Shazam! that could give something for the DCEU to feed off of for quite some time without much worry of it all coming apart.

Here's hoping!

Originally posted by Goblin19
              Yes, it’s a huge hit overseas so the future is bright for this franchise. The word of mouth is generally good, too, which will help.
              Looking forward to seeing that word of mouth reflected on the Internet.

Not saying its not there.

Its just that much from the small amount I've seen sounds like Red Letter Media negatives.... even the mainstreamy RT crew isn't as warm to it as a decent superhero film usually is taken by them.

I'll keep looking!
              Last edited by huedell; Dec 28, '18, 1:17 AM.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

expected domestic total by the end of this weekend is around 185 million. that's not bad for a movie only 2 weekends in. but you are correct, only time will tell

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Wow. Saw AM last night....not only was it the worst Superhero movie I've ever seen, it might be one of the worst movies I've seen period. I've walked out of one movie in my life....Dragnet....would have walked out on this one except we were with family. Even my 8 yo son - who is all-in on everything Superhero - was bored. The dude sitting in front of me walked out 1/2 way through. SFX and CGI were like 5 levels below Marvel.

Just terrible.

-Chris

And wow looks like I'm in the total minority
                  You sure you didn't take in a 3D showing, without the glasses?

Seriously, if you didn't like it, you didn't.

But anyone who hates on Civil War should have their YouTube channel rights revoked, in my opinion.

And the comic was horrible, again, in my opinion. Rewriting characters to fit an "edgy" story and pit them against each other. The movie took the name and basic concept and made it work within the framework that the other films had set up.

Chris

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                    I personally never read it but I enjoyed the movie.
                    I meant Secret Wars, Not Civil War. Man, I’m getting old, lol.

I haven’t read a comic book in years...
                    sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Just got back from taking my grandson to see Aquaman for his birthday. WOW! Loved this movie!! Talk about a love letter to Aquaman fans. I SO enjoyed the fact the movie goes right into the meat of a story worth following and takes you on this journey into worlds that far eclipse what I could have imagined. I was smiling the whole time I was watching this film because Warner Bros finally.... FINALLY... let one of it's superheroes BREATH. They embraced the comic book instead of running from it.

If you're coming to see Aquaman, you get Aquaman. If you need another social lecture with cynical and unlikable heroes, this movie is not for you. This tells the origin of Aquaman and is done so with a great cast, incredible effects, and a story intriguing enough to keep you interested from start to finish. Plus there is a mid-credit scene, so stick around at the end. I have nothing but praise for this film. And when he finally dons the classic threads, my fists are pumped. Lil D had to tell me to be quiet in the theater. LOL! But I got something I thought I would never see... A beautiful and well articulated story about our beloved King of the Seas.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I saw Aquaman this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. Momoa may not be my ideal Aquaman, but I embraced his journey in this epic film. Despite the long running-time. I was consistently engaged by the narrative. The CGI, while not Lord of the Rings, was IMO not only creative but well-rendered. I liked the non-linear structure with the integrated flashbacks. I thought Mera/Amber was terrific. I think she and Momoa could have had better chemistry (or perhaps Momoa needs more nuance in his acting), but his character progressed well and their relationship seemed plausible by film's end. This film really had nearly everything a devoted Aquafan could wish for, I'd give it a solid B. The final act was truly exciting--something I can't say about Wonder Woman. And that's due to the excellent villains.

I guess my biggest recommendation is that I'd see it again--something I rarely do.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                          Warner Bros finally.... FINALLY... let one of it's superheroes BREATH.
                          I beg to differ...

sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

^I'm thinking that was a slight oversight, Hector. I think it's pretty much consensus that Patty Jenkins set the ship a-right and as far as I am concerned....give her the keys! Marvel did it from the start with Favreau, but DC found their footing with Jenkins.

I'm just a little bummed that I got three movie passes for Christmas....and this is the second week my local theater hasn't carried "Aquaman". Not that I'm cheap, but my local theater has the best concession stand I have ever seen. You can get Coke, Pepsi, or Dr, Pepper (not Mr. Pibb) and a large drink/ medium popcorn is less that six bucks. So I am holding out until at least next Friday. Last time I went to a movie in Oklahoma City, my small drink small popcorn cost more than my lunch.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Yep. WW was the exception to an otherwise general rule about most DC related movies until Aquaman (IMHO).

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

As much as I love Wonder Woman, that last act pulls it down. Aquaman sticks the landing, and is therefore a better film throughout, although I would argue the best parts of Wonder Woman are greater than Aquaman overall.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎