Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I may have missed it, too, but I think he's just off being Superman and giving her space. It does seem kind of callous of Superman not giving her more guidance, but if the show isn't going to be able to use Superman more than in silhouette, then I guess it works about as good as anything. I guess sending his best pal to watch out for her is his way of caring.
    Superman dumped her in an orphanage in her first story...so this makes him look kind in that regard.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I enjoyed most of it, even the new James Olson (who I thought was going to suck, but turned out to be surprisingly likable).

Melissa Benoist is PERFECT as Kara/Supergirl...just as adorable as Helen Slater was in the 80s.

Love the overall comic book feel...more Christopher Reeve than Henry Cavill.

The effects were pretty cool, not quite top notch had it been a movie, but impressive for TV fair.

A couple of issues though..

...as most of you have mentioned...not saying Superman (except for the very beginning when Kara does) throughout the show did get irritating after a while...and this was constant. If they don't want to say the name Superman...then just ignore Supes altogether.

I don't know how long I'm going to put up with Calissa Flockhart and her Devil Wears Prada act, she was annoying me...having said that...she was nothing compared to that Henshaw dude...holy Jesus mother of God...I hated that character. Please, either tone it down a bit...or have him killed...I can't stand him.

Kara's sister also annoyed me at first, but glad she softened up in the end.

The episode was not perfect (agreed on the rushed villain/villains), but Benoist was...what a fantastic piece of casting...I'm just going to keep watching it just because of her...she's too damn bloody adorable, ha...

sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Superman dumped her in an orphanage in her first story...so this makes him look kind in that regard.

Chris
        Yeah, but the show made it sound like she hadn't seen him in person since he dropped her off with the Danvers. Superman, at least, had a relationship with her in the comics. The show is up against the wall with not really being able to use Superman that much. It was probably as good a solution as any. Stuff like this probably doesn't even register to the general viewership.
        Last edited by madmarva; Oct 28, '15, 1:06 PM.

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by Hector
          The episode was not perfect (agreed on the rushed villain/villains), but Benoist was...what a fantastic piece of casting...I'm just going to keep watching it just because of her...she's too damn bloody adorable, ha...

Agreed; her likability factor is off the charts.

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

As I have said before, give in a few episodes before you decide to trash it. As a Comic Book show we should all give it a 5 episode chance to see how it goes.

For those who complain about the not calling him Superman:

Last edited by monitor_ep; Oct 28, '15, 8:24 PM.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Fans of the show should feel encouraged. It was a huge ratings hit. Here's the story...

'Supergirl' stars Melissa Benoist as Superman's cousin, Kara Zor-El. The new CBS show recently got the highest ratings for a new show this fall. What led to its success?

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Anyone disappointed that Vartox didn't look like Sean Connery in a speedo?

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Captain
                  Fighting the good fight!
                  • Jun 17, 2001

Couple of things;
                  If the movie DC universe can create their own Flash, why can't the TV one at least say "Superman"? I also am not sold on the support team concept being used yet again. It works for Flash. Not a fan of it on Arrow ( who should really be more of a lone wolf), and the upcoming series is also going to sport one (which may include Barry's dad!?)It may turn out better than I expect, but does Supergirl really need to be working with Hank and crew?
                  "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Captain
                    Couple of things;
                    If the movie DC universe can create their own Flash, why can't the TV one at least say "Superman"? I also am not sold on the support team concept being used yet again. It works for Flash. Not a fan of it on Arrow ( who should really be more of a lone wolf), and the upcoming series is also going to sport one (which may include Barry's dad!?)It may turn out better than I expect, but does Supergirl really need to be working with Hank and crew?
                    I'm guessing that since it seems to be a formula that's working with THE FLASH and ARROW, the minds behind SUPERGIRL just decided it would be a good idea to carry it over on this show, too. I'm in agreement that Kara needs to fly primarily solo, perhaps with an occasional assist from Henshaw and Co.
                    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Henshaw needs to go the way of the Dodo...
                      sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Vartox seemed more like the Legion of Super Heroes villain the Persuader, with the axe and all.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• pmwasson
                          Maker
                          • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                          As I have said before, give in a few episodes before you decide to trash it. As a Comic Book show we should all give it a 5 episode chance to see how it goes.

For those who complain about the not calling him Superman:
                          I wondering if it was just a pilot issue and they were still working out if they had permission to say "Superman".
                          sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• knight errant00
                            8 Inch Action Figure
                            • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            Vartox seemed more like the Legion of Super Heroes villain the Persuader, with the axe and all.
                            Chris
                            I was thinking through the whole fight he was the Persuader (hoping it was a lead-in for a Fatal Five appearance later) but Vartox wasn't jibing on my brain as the Persuader's real name. Only after the ep did I realize it's the name Superman's Sean-Connery-in-Zardoz villain.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by pmwasson
                              I wondering if it was just a pilot issue and they were still working out if they had permission to say "Superman".
                              I know these permissions can be dizzyingly complex, but I find it hard to imagine that the show would have permission to use Kal-El and Man of Steel but not "Superman." It seemed more like a creative decision than a legal one.

Comment

• samurainoir
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Dec 26, 2006

Hank Henshaw's comic book counterpart

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎