Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My latest model...Monogram Luminators Dracula!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

My latest model...Monogram Luminators Dracula!

No painting required...just good old fashioned neon plastic and a black light!

These are a really quick, fun build for those days when you're snowed in. Love that ghostly glow!

• PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I had nothing but disdain for these when they were released, but you make them look great when properly photographed.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      I had nothing but disdain for these when they were released, but you make them look great when properly photographed.
      Thanks! These kits are very difficult to photograph. They glow so brightly that it washes out all the details.
      I had to mess around quite a bit to get just the right combination of standard lighting and black light. But they look amazing in person.
      Glowing monsters are always cool! Hope to have another one completed this weekend. Either an orange Frankenstein or pink Mummy.

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

I always wanted the Comic Scenes to come this way. I know I saw a pic of Superman at some point.

How well does it go together? Would sanding scratch it up?
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by ScottA
          I always wanted the Comic Scenes to come this way. I know I saw a pic of Superman at some point.

How well does it go together? Would sanding scratch it up?
          They go together pretty easy, but yeah, you can't sand or putty them. You just have to do a really good trim job with a hobby knife.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I almost bought the Luminators back in the early 90s, but then Wal-Mart stocked those traditional versions of the classic kits, and I went with those. Still have my build-ups today. But these would be fun to do now!

Looks great!!!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• megowgsh
              Customego HoF Curator
              • Nov 19, 2003

Awesomeness!!!!
              Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I have nothing but fond memories of these as they went into deep close out while i was in college. Where did they all go?
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

So awesome. I painted mine, but then after the reissues in regular color plastic came out, I'd wish I'd kept them unpainted. (Also it was a pain to cover that neon plastic with paint!)

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Had they been released a few years earlier I think they would have been more successful. The bright neon colors just scream the 80s.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• tay666
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
                      They go together pretty easy, but yeah, you can't sand or putty them. You just have to do a really good trim job with a hobby knife.
                      Actually, you can sand them. But then you have to work with progressively finer paper to basically polish them.

(once upon a time I started doing that with the clear-blue Titan AE Drej Alien that Polar Lights put out. I think I got the arms done, but haven't cracked that box open in over a decade now)

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎