X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheVintageToyKid
    Career Member
    • Jul 23, 2019

Body suits

I am interested in printing and sewing my own custom body suits for 8” Mego figures. What kind of material is best? What are Mego body suits usually made from?
    "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Polyester single-knit--"jersey." The closest thing today is available at Jo-Anns and is sometimes called Jet-Set.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 18, '21, 10:56 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
      Career Member
      • Jul 23, 2019

Thanks, I am really interested in making more customs and sometimes the clothing options I have found online are limited. Is this the same material Austin uses to print his suits? I am wondering if there is any sort of fabric sheets I can buy that are made for InkJet printers. I'm just worried the material won't be "stretchy" enough and thus fit loosely on the figures.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by TheVintageToyKid
        Thanks, I am really interested in making more customs and sometimes the clothing options I have found online are limited. Is this the same material Austin uses to print his suits? I am wondering if there is any sort of fabric sheets I can buy that are made for InkJet printers. I'm just worried the material won't be "stretchy" enough and thus fit loosely on the figures.
        I can't speak for Austin's stuff specifically, but custom printed suits tend to use less stretchy/ non-stretchy material.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
          Career Member
          • Jul 23, 2019

Sounds good. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

I have used the inkjet fabric sheets before, they do not stretch at all, and some of the colors fade over time, especially black and gray colors.

WWII_CAP_2.jpg
            [IMG][/IMG]

Captain America still looks pretty good, but the Gray in The Admiral Kirk uniform faded badly. Don't know if this helps.These pics are from when they were first done years ago.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
              Career Member
              • Jul 23, 2019

Thanks... does anyone know if they make inkjet fabric sheets that are stretchy in nature? The only ones I can seem to find are the cotton ones which is probably what you are referring to Spyweb007.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 18, 2006

The cotton ones are what I used. I haven't seen any other types of fabric for inkjet printers.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I think cotton is all wrong for Megoesque bodysuits. MegoWGSH, almtysufx, and others are printing on the poly jersey I mentioned. FTC is, too.

IIRC, a dye sublimation printer is needed to do this properly.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 23, '21, 11:21 AM.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• darkbros
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                    I have used the inkjet fabric sheets before, they do not stretch at all, and some of the colors fade over time, especially black and gray colors.

[/URL][/IMG]

Where or Where did you get the Boots on your Kirk? Been looking for this style of boot in white or red!!!
                    Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                    https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                    "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

^Did CTVT make white Fonzie boots for a variant?

Comment

• scott metzger
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 9, 2007

You would need to make sure that whatever means of printing is going to work on the jersey/jet set knit. A lot of times there is a finish on it; I've had spotty luck trying to dye such material, so I think the ink might run into similar problems. Outside of the dyeing, I've never tried anything but fabric paint and permanent marking pens myself, so I can't really offer much more.

And,as an aside, forget about good old Green Lantern/kelly green in this type of material. 57 years worth of searching came close on occasion, but I NEVER found the exact right material in that shade.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 18, 2006

I think those were Fonzie boots from CTVT. They still have them in Black, and they have motorcycle boots in different colors that are just a little different looking.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Yep fearless fonzerelli

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            ^Did CTVT make white Fonzie boots for a variant?
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 23, 2019

Sounds like the process for printing bodysuits is not as easy as I first thought. I do have some cotton inkjet sheets on their way, however, so I am wondering if I can utilize some of the patterns on the Mego Museum to create other clothing items that do not need to be so form fitting.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎