Henry Cavill exits Superman role

boooooo!

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

This sucks. Cavill had a good Superman in him. We saw it in JL. Free from Snyder's angsty approach, he could have been a great Supes.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Agreed, i don't much like the "Dourman" approach but I knew he'd be one of the best in the right hands. I blame the success of Mission Impossible for this mainly. Guy is going to be a big star.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

DC's cinematic universe is just a mess...basically we have Wonder Woman and that's it. And now even with the standalone Aquaman how is that going to work? They all appeared together in BvS and JL, but now for any future movies they'll have to team up with a completely different Superman AND Batman?

I wouldn't even want to TRY and straighten out that mess.

My suggestion? Scrap the whole damn thing and make a Super Friends movie. Hall of Justice, Legion of Doom...the whole enchilada.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by enyawd72
          My suggestion? Scrap the whole damn thing and make a Super Friends movie. Hall of Justice, Legion of Doom...the whole enchilada.
          This is the movie I really want to see. Make them friends. Make them ridiculously happy to be superheroes. Even Batman. Guy's gotta love what he does. We've seen it the other way long enough. Make a DC movie with the intention of delighting audiences with adventure and joy.

Cavill had potential, but the role has been tainted now.

I expect to see James Gunn brought on board any week now.

Comment

• Mary Canary
            Career Member
            • Jun 21, 2017

This depresses me, because I really liked Henry Cavill as Superman.
            Man of Steel was heavy, but I feel like it was still a very good Superman movie.
            I think trying to go guns blazing on a franchise really took the wind out of his cape.
            Make good standalone superhero movies and let the franchise part happen naturally.
            I know they are working on a Supergirl movie, but I feel like that's one instance where a cameo by Superman would be important.
            Wish he could at least stick around for that...

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

On one hand, he got screwed. On the other, the guy kept taking gigs and signing contracts that made him unavailable.

It sounds the Shazam miss was the final call.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Loved Cavill as Supes...but by that, I meant physically he was dead on. But the way they wrote his character, was all wrong. The show a glimmer of a nice personality in him on JL, but little too late.

Affleck gone too...so it’s time to reboot this mess.

But how is that gonna work with Gal Gadot? Her movie was good and successful. Aquaman shows promise. Of Warner Brothers reboots. Start the entire JL from scratch? I don’t think it would be wise to change Wonder Woman’s right now.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

I just read this...

“With Cavill and Affleck apparently hanging up their capes, it would be awkward to integrate a new Batman and Superman into a preexisting playing field, making it likely that the interconnected-franchise Justice League concept is kaput for the foreseeable future.”
                  sigpic

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

I was never sold on Cavill. I welcome the change. I am withthe majority in loving Gadot. I didn't dislike Afleck, but it doesn't matter to me if he's gone.
                    As far as the DCU goes teh movies (other than WW) haven't met the hype, but really take more abuse than they deserve. The franchise will go on just fine without Cavill and Affleck. I don't anticipate Aquaman, SHAZAM, JL 2, Joker or proposed Flash to be huge block busters, but they will make money and be enjoyable movies unless your bar is set at perfection and you enjoyed getting 1 good superhero movie per decade like in the 20th century.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I would prefer recast instead of reboot, just take what's good (Gadot, Miller, Momoa) and move on.

I liked Affleck as Batman but I'd be ok with a new guy, Cavill is a big loss but I'd never heard of him before either.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

The DC Movie Universe was a failed project from the start.

The 2011 Green Lantern was to start up the DC Universe movies but after it bombed they went back to the drawing board. Then with the lawsuit of Superman franchise WB wanted to get out a movie in case the Judge did not side with them and they would have to spilt profits with the Siegel & Shuster estate so they hired Zack Snyder to redo the Superman franchise in the style of Christopher Nolan Batman. Snyder & Nolan thought up a trilogy like the Dark Knight.

Then Marvel Cinematic Universe happened and they interconnected there movies and made money doing so. After the court battle went with DC Comics the first movie was nearly done so WB came up with the idea to add in elements to expand the movie to include DC Comics Easter Eggs. Once the movie came out WB decided it was too late to restart there DC Universe to they just rolled ahead.

So you see Man of Steel was not supposed to start the DC Universe movies, it was WB who decided since they had one Superman movie out they would keep it going. Man of Steel two would have introduced Lex Luthor & kryptonite to that universe and Luthor would have possibly cast Bryan Cranston for the role. You can see that part in the extended version of BvsS and the behind the scenes images where they were using his likeness as a potential role for the movie. WB never got the chance to as him because Jesse Eisenberg wanted the role.

Now since WB keep getting there hands in the franchise it is a huge mess. I do not go to watch the movies at the theater anymore, I wait till they get released on DVD. Now I do plan on going to see Aquaman because I have been supporting the character since I was old enough to read and play with action figures.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Just realized Cavil would have been/could be the perfect Mister Fantastic.

Comment

• Madcap70
                            • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by palitoy
                            I would prefer recast instead of reboot, just take what's good (Gadot, Miller, Momoa) and move on.

I liked Affleck as Batman but I'd be ok with a new guy, Cavill is a big loss but I'd never heard of him before either.
                            NO Gadot was the best out of the three you mentioned Miller & Mamoa horrible castings...

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

That's bad news. Cavill was great as Superman. An inspired casting choice. I was really looking forward to his next standalone movie, as well as any future JL films.
                              WB has squandered a great opportunity.
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎