Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME Hey Kids!!! Spoilers HERE!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Such a great movie!

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

SPOILERS!!

I'm glad you guys seemed to like it, I was a bit disappointed. All the relationships and characters that made the first one fun for me felt pushed out of the way for the plot in this. Like, Ned and Peter felt "real" in the first one, but in this one Ned seemed too dopey and didn't have any other propose in the movie. Keeping the last movie in Queens grounded things with all the little background characters adding charm and I think jumping to different cities in Europe made this bigger but less impactful for me. It felt like each new place was just a new set or something.

Plot-wise I thought the idea of Mysterio was fine but I don't get the Marvel Movie obsession with making the bad guy's motives revealed over time or with a twist. I think if we see their plan from the start it makes them more interesting and more threatening. In Homecoming they showed us The Vulture and his motives from the beginning and I think that a straight forward approach worked great. I assume it's rare in superhero movies because there's a lot going on and it's easier for them to deal with tons of plot-holes if they break up the plot like this. For example, if Mysterio's plan from the beginning was to trick Peter for control of EDITH it does not seem plausible or make much sense to me.

The big Mysterio nightmare scene was the most comic-book fun for me, but when they revealed Fury wasn't part of the illusion I was distracted by how stupid he was acting. I kept wondering why he would be asking Peter to out his friends in public like that. It felt like the end credit Skrull scene was there to cover a lot of Fury related plot holes because he was pretty useless, but then it seemed like it opened a ton of other plot holes. I also wondered about the "5 years ago I knew everything, now I don't know anything" line, for example.

My other favourite part was the date at the end with MJ. Tom Holland and Zendaya are charming kids and it was great finally watching Spider-Man having fun being Spider-Man, which was another thing I missed from Homecoming. I'm probably just a hopeless curmudgeon.

EDIT - my nieces and 3 year old (it was his first real movie) all loved it, but found it a bit scary. The 14 year old said she liked it more than Homecoming, so hopefully I'm in the minority and people have fun!

EDIT 2 - I could be wrong about Fury in that nightmare scene, maybe he was an illusion and I'm misremembering? I did have a 3 year old jumping on me and distracting me through the film. Even for a Skrull replacement that would be pretty dumb.
      Last edited by Brazoo; Jul 22, '19, 1:01 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I had no intention of seeing this in the theatre but we were out and it was the only thing remotely close we could agree upon. I spent the first hour questioning my choice. Way too much comedy relief for my liking.

It eventually won me over where I thought it was pretty fun, Mysterio is my favourite Spider-Man villain and this take, was a solid update. I especially enjoyed the nightmare sequence that obviously was inspired by some classic issues. He may be the best screen translation of a Spider-Man villain i've seen.

I'm still not in love with Holland as Spider-Man but he's a big improvement over the last guy and he's growing on me. I like MJ a lot however, I think that part works and doesn't feel forced.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
          I spent the first hour questioning my choice. Way too much comedy relief for my liking.
          Yeah, parts felt too much like a sitcom to me. I didn’t feel that way about the first one.

Originally posted by Hedji
          BUT.... the addition of Simmons is MINDBLOWING! I howled with delight, as I did NOT see that coming. I positively squealed in my chair, to the chagrin of the person next to me. Simmons was the best part of the Raimi films, and I can't believe Marvel carried him over.
          That really was great! Simmons is just way too perfect.

Originally posted by monitor_ep
          Talking about the Sinister Six so far we have:

*Vulture
          *Shocker
          *Mysterio (no way he was dead)
          *Chameleon (SHIELD Agent Dimitri?)
          *Prowler - Aaron Davis?
          *The Tinkerer - Phineas Mason

Michael Mando as Scorpion too, and a follow up with The Prowler in the next one would be great.

From what I recall even if Mysterio is dead his crew could keep going, right? Unless I missed them all getting nabbed at the end? (I honestly was very distracted by my kid.)

Comment

• danadoll
            Micronaut Nut!
            • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by Brazoo
            Michael Mando as Scorpion too, and a follow up with The Prowler in the next one would be great.

From what I recall even if Mysterio is dead his crew could keep going, right? Unless I missed them all getting nabbed at the end? (I honestly was very distracted by my kid.)
            Mac Gargan was also introduced in the first Spider-Man film, he just doesn't have his suit yet. Oops, I see you posted about that.

Dana
            Last edited by danadoll; Jul 26, '19, 1:10 PM.
            "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎