X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

M. Night Shyamalan’s SPLIT

Likely there’s already a thread out there somewhere for this movie, but I just watched it last night and, man, James McAvoy’s performance (performances?) blew me away! It’s a shame it hit so early in 2017 or he might’ve gotten an Oscar nod for his work and, for my money, this is also one of M. Night’s best movies since “The Village.”

If you haven’t watched this, do yourself a favor and take a looksee and watch it until the very end. It’s not a weird M. Night twisty moment, more of a “Whoa!!” moment.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

It's a solid movie, it's amazing what happens when he drops the pretense of an oeuvre and just does something straightforward.

I really don't need a sequel but i guess it's inevitable these days...
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by palitoy
      It's a solid movie, it's amazing what happens when he drops the pretense of an oeuvre and just does something straightforward.
      That's similar to what the RedLetterMedia guys said, and I agree as well. Just make a fun darn movie.
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Iron Mego
        That's similar to what the RedLetterMedia guys said, and I agree as well. Just make a fun darn movie.
        Oh i didn't know they did a Half in the Bag on it, I sometimes avoid them if i want to see the movie.

I remember telling my wife that the movie would likely be unwatchable trash with a different director and lead.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I enjoyed the movie, he gives an amazingly creepy performance(s)

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

Oh i didn't know they did a Half in the Bag on it, I sometimes avoid them if i want to see the movie.

I remember telling my wife that the movie would likely be unwatchable trash with a different director and lead.
            They discussed on their year-end wrap-up. It didn't get its own HITB episode. They did one on The Visit awhile back though.
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

I am not impressed by a man who can't finish what he starts. Where is the rest of Avatar, the Last Airbender?

CCC.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by LordMudd
                I am not impressed by a man who can't finish what he starts. Where is the rest of Avatar, the Last Airbender?
                I"m still waiting for Doctor Detroit 2: The Wrath of Mom myself, agh so angry about that! Damn you, Ackroyd!

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Excellent movie.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

I really don't need a sequel but i guess it's inevitable these days...
                    There has to be a sequel...because...

****SPOILERS****

It ties with the movie Unbreakable. Bruce Willis’ David Dunn appears on the last scene...so you know he’s going after James McAvoy’s Kevin Wendell Crumb/The Horde...as both films share the same narrative universe.

****END OF SPOILERS****
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Shyamalan has redeemed himself after a series of really bad films after Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Signs, while creepy and scary, had too many plot holes, starting with why aliens who can be hurt by water, decided to invade a planet full of water, which included moisture in the atmosphere...all while not wearing any protective suits, lol. They were super strong, able to jump on top of roofs, yet couldn’t kick the door down, lol. Any many more aggravating stupid things. But then Shyamalan made Devil...and that started his present good run once again.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

well, they are making a sequel to unbreakable so maybe Mcavoy's character will get tied into that somehow

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                          well, they are making a sequel to unbreakable so maybe Mcavoy's character will get tied into that somehow
                          He is. And the girl from Split as well.
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

GLASS, coming in 2019, is indeed a sequel to both UNBREAKABLE (henceforth the “Holy Sheet” scene I referenced when I started the thread) and SPLIT as David Dunn is in pursuit of Kevin Crumb’s Horde with Samuel L. Jackson’s Elijah Price apparently holding on to information pertaining to both of them. Not sure how Casey Cooke will figure in yet, but, as we saw from her flashbacks, who knows, she may be holding on to some alternate personalities as well thanks to her pervy Uncle.
                            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎