X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Netflix She-Ra trailer.

I do actually give them a lot of credit because it looks like they actually put some real effort into it, unlike the cringe worthy Thundercats Roar.

DreamWorks She-Ra and the Princesses of Power Teaser Trailer - Netflix Debut On 11/16/18

The backgrounds are lovely but I Just don't like the character designs. Bow, Catra and Glimmer are unrecognizable and I think it was a bit much that they gave Adora the same side shaved hairstyle as the show runner. It looks more like Korra mixed with Steven Universe than She-Ra to me.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I guess the real test of this is if it finds a new audience.

Recently, I paid $50 so my 13 year old daughter could get a photo op with one of the stars of "Voltron". All the girls in her class love the show, it blows my mind!
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mary Canary
      Career Member
      • Jun 21, 2017

Ick. Her voice is already on my nerves. Like bad.

I wish the series well. As Palitoy said, the real test if it finds a new audience. I'll probably give it a chance just to see what it's like.
      But yeah, for me I think this is one of those cases where I can still love the old thing but let the new thing go off and do its own thing...

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
        I guess the real test of this is if it finds a new audience.
        For long time fans, like me, the new She-Ra cartoon is a lose-lose situation. She-Ra isn't like Transformers or TMNT with one reboot after another. If it bombs people will just say no one likes She-Ra anymore. If it does well people will say the original sucked and the new version replaces the original.

That's why people should really treasure the Ducktales reboot. Rarely is an 80s toon updated so faithfully and respectfully. All the characters look like they are supposed to. They didn't try to reinvent the wheel by making Scrooge hip, trendy and unrecognizable.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mary Canary
          Career Member
          • Jun 21, 2017

^ This is pretty much what happened with Jem. Hasbro didn't invest in the movie, it was not a hit, and now the brand is likely dead again.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mary Canary
            ^ This is pretty much what happened with Jem. Hasbro didn't invest in the movie, it was not a hit, and now the brand is likely dead again.
            Yep, that horrid movie killed Jem. The property is now sadly dead.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Welp....

My girls will give it a shot. The anime look will appeal to the older. My younger loved the Barbie aspect that this baltantly avoids. And she's the yuge She-Ra fan.

I'm guessing Mattel thinks Netflix has a hit on their hands and their po'd MOTU is nowhere on development.

I'll say two seasons.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                For long time fans, like me, the new She-Ra cartoon is a lose-lose situation. She-Ra isn't like Transformers or TMNT with one reboot after another. If it bombs people will just say no one likes She-Ra anymore. If it does well people will say the original sucked and the new version replaces the original.
                Well, i don't doubt the first scenario but the second one seems a little pessimistic. I mean sure, some would say that because, this is the internet but i can't imagine that being the concensus if it was a hit.

I also say this as a person who knows little about She-Ra fandom at all. It came out when I was 15, so my knowledge is limited on the subject. I know it gets that weird bad rap for killing He-Man (which i think is silly) but it has a large following yes?
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

I've been shocked by the number of 35+ women I've met who clearly watched the show as a kid.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    Yep, that horrid movie killed Jem. The property is now sadly dead.
                    Well, I actually liked the Jem movie. But there were many fans who understandably did not.

But my point was that Hasbro, who holds the license, didn't really make any effort to revive Jem or make the movie a success.
                    And now that it's seen as a huge failure, Hasbro can say "Jem isn't worth reviving."

If She-Ra doesn't catch on with new fans and the original fans turn their backs on it, Mattel could do the same.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

If She-Ra doesn't catch on with new fans and the original fans turn their backs on it, Mattel could do the same.
                      I've loved She-Ra since I was a kid. Collected the toys and watched the cartoon everyday after school. Signed up for a Matty Collector sub just so I wouldn't miss the the Adora figure. I just cannot support this. The characters aren't recognizable. It's like the planned DHX Strawberry Shortcake reboot, if they have to tell people who the characters are they are doing it wrong. This isn't She-Ra. It's a new show more in common with Korra and Steven Universe using the popular She-Ra names for marketing purposes. I'll support She-Ra by collecting new merchandise based on the original cartoon.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                        Career Member
                        • Jun 21, 2017

^ Whatever happened to that DHX Shortcake? I saw the character art where they all looked like mallrats, but that was forever ago... Did it get scrapped or is it just in production for a really really long time?

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

^ Whatever happened to that DHX Shortcake? I saw the character art where they all looked like mallrats, but that was forever ago... Did it get scrapped or is it just in production for a really really long time?
                          Last I heard they are now threatening a 2019 release.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                            Career Member
                            • Jun 21, 2017

LoL. Threatening.

Ewww. I was hoping they were reworking things to make her less... less.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                              Career Member
                              • Jun 21, 2017

Interesting article shared by Melendy Britt, the original voice of She-Ra, checking the nostalgia vs. progress argument over the new show. I think Melendy feels like old school fans shouldn't be made to feel ashamed for preferring the original aesthetic.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎