Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I really-really-really-really-really-really-really-really wanna be progressive ..... but making Dr Who a girl just crosses the line.

To be honest, there's NOTHING she can do to warm me to her.

Yea, I know - i'm a chauvinistic pig that hates all women (especially my mother)..........

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
      Yea, I know - i'm a chauvinistic pig that hates all women (especially my mother)..........
      You are the only one that keeps calling you that.

Seriously, a woman Doctor is not the end of the world.

I've had to put up with:

5 Michael Bay Transformers movies.
      2 terrible GI JOE Movies. The second one killed off nearly all the characters.
      2 terrible Ninja Turtle movies
      3 terrible Dungeons and Dragons
      And a Jem and the Holograms movie that was so mind numbingly excruciatingly bad it got pulled from the theaters and actually killed the property.

But it's not like the original stuff I liked disappeared just because of some crappy reboots and no matter if the new season of the Doctor is good or bad the series will live on.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by emeraldknight47

I watched an interview with Patrick Troughton earlier who speculated that The Doctor could regenerate into any form it chose; male, female, white, black, yellow, red, blue, green, etc.
        Well, that just isn't true. His speculation counts for not. Or else the Doctor would have been a ginger years ago. He says after he regenerates that he was hoping to be a ginger. It didn't happen, and he has no control.
        Last edited by LonnieFisher; Nov 11, '17, 1:51 AM.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          Well, that just isn't true. His speculation counts for not. Or else the Doctor would have been a ginger years ago. He says after he regenerates that he was hoping to be a ginger. It didn't happen, and he has no control.
          Unless he takes an elixir specifically designed to allow him to decide, as he did in "The Night of the Doctor."

And, yes, that was a one time thing; The Doctor's regenerations ARE largely random (unless, of course, they are somehow controllled by a "higher power" or by some signal deep in The Doctor's subconscious mind). Here's the interview I saw and he does go back and axe "race" since he acknowledges that The Doctor is not of this Earth...
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

You know, I was just thinking about why this doesn't sit well with me. I'm not foaming at the mouth about it, but I did roll my eyes at the announcement. But I think the primary reason is... I don't know this actress.

If they had cast someone I know, and felt like could play the character, the seismic shift wouldn't have bothered me. Like Haley Atwell. If she had been the new Doctor, I would actually be excited because I know her and really like her. Same thing if James Bond were recast tomorrow and it was Idris Elba. I'd be right behind that! That guy is awesome. But if it was some random, unknown, non-white guy, I'd feel it was questionable stunt-casting or something like that.

So a lot of that is on me for not knowing this actress. But I do feel better as to why this irks me a bit. Had Haley Atwell been in that pic, I'd be all in. And as I said, I'm still going to give Jodi a shot.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

The Doctor is a coveted role.

EVERY actor (at least British) dream of being a Doctor.

It seems like picking a relatively unknown girl is the new producers way of saying, FU to the franchise

She may be popular to some -- Who knows

I just don't feel what the producers feel ...

I consider Dr Who more of a legacy than a growing entity

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

I'll see what happens. I must admit, though I have no problem with the Doctor being a woman, the actress herself doesn't appeal to me that much. Looks a little bland. But let's see how she does once she steps into the blue box.
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

It seems like picking a relatively unknown girl is the new producers way of saying, FU to the franchise
                  It's beginning to look like you want to argue just for the sake of it. It's a little depressing.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

She's not relatively unknown, she was in Broadchurch which was a major hit in the UK. She's as well known as Smith and Tennant were.

I understand you're not happy about it but why keep making odd statements and sexist remarks that I have to delete?
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

It's just for 3 years. It'll be over before we know it. Question is,how many will change their tune when it's all said and done and say she wasn't really that bad of a choice for The Doctor?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

It seems that way to you, but what you feel really is that "the producers" are saying FU to your casting preferences/bias.

The Doctor has traditionally been a softer, more cerebral hero (not Kirk-like, obviously). Is a female version seemingly too soft, not smart enough? Why is the actress a "girl" to you? She's 35.

What if a Doctor was a gay male--would that also be objectionable? What about race? I'm a casual Who fan (Pertwee was my fave), but I don't get all the fuss. Seems to me the whole point of the character is mutability combined with ability.
                        Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 11, '17, 2:57 PM.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by palitoy
                          She's not relatively unknown, she was in Broadchurch which was a major hit in the UK. She's as well known as Smith and Tennant were.

I understand you're not happy about it but why keep making odd statements and sexist remarks that I have to delete?
                          I watched Broadchurch on Netflix, she is really good.

That makes two Doctors in that show now.

---------

I think when her series run is over, it will be well remembered.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                            Talkative Member
                            • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                            She's not relatively unknown, she was in Broadchurch which was a major hit in the UK. She's as well known as Smith and Tennant were
                            I’ve never watched broadchurch but I do remember her from “attack the block” and I did rather enjoy that film.
                            But it still doesn’t make me happy.I’ve said my piece on why and I’ll leave it at that.
                            Will I watch a few I’m sure I will I’ve been watching for over forty years.
                            Women make up 51% of the population so the move makes sense for them it doesn’t me I have to like it.
                            I am sure Gena Davis is dancing through the hills with this move.
                            As said before 3 years and she’s out,but then again I was wrong about starbuck so what the hell do I know.....lol
                            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              Why is the actress a "girl" to you? She's 35. .
                              When your my age, anybody under 50 is a girl

What if a Doctor was a gay male--would that also be objectionable? What about race? .
                              I wouldn't have an objection specifically about the gay part -- more of an objection about the Doctor having any sort of a sex life ---- Before Moffat the Doctor was pretty much asexual

What about race? .
                              Race wouldn't bother me unless he was Samoan

Comment

• Timothy2251
                                Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                                • Mar 15, 2008

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                                It's just for 3 years. It'll be over before we know it. Question is,how many will change their tune when it's all said and done and say she wasn't really that bad of a choice for The Doctor?
                                THIS. It's just the same old, same old, but this time with a woman in the lead. Plenty of times I've seen/heard how the new person playing the Doctor is gonna be lousy, can't hold a candle to the previous one, etc. Then by the end of the three year or so run, most folks are saying "Wow! He/she was a great Doctor - whoever replaces him/her is gonna be awful or won't measure up."

Heck with it. I've had 50+ years of a male Doctor, I can always revisit whatever Doctor I want on DVD, online, etc. I want to see what Ms. Whittaker brings to the table. I also want to see what her new sonic screwdriver looks like!
                                "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎