Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you ever have a toy that creeped you out ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason73
    Correctamundo!
    • Jan 11, 2009

The Herman Munster puppet freaked me out when I was a kid.
    Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• justzeg18
      Career Member
      • May 5, 2003

Boglins.
      The combo of looks and feel added up to an unsettling play experience.
      Ecspecially once they got dirty.
      I totally dig them now, but younger me was put off.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Never had one but the Mrs. Beasley doll gave me nightmares after seeing it in a Christmas catalog.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 1, 2005

Man oh man, this silly cymbal clanging monkey toy just scared the living daylights outta me as a kid.
          Even now looking at it again still makes my hairs stand on end!! Haha.
          6672201_orig.jpg

Comment

• greensavage2000
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 9, 2013

Originally posted by nvmbrsdoom5
            Man oh man, this silly cymbal clanging monkey toy just scared the living daylights outta me as a kid.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]20632[/ATTACH]
            I have one of those and it is creepy. It does this thing where it shows it's teeth and lets out a screech, creepy. Him and Hugo are pretty creepy.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

As a kid, the only toys that ever really creeped me out were mechanical dolls once the limbs started falling off, and I could see the machine innards. I always thought they'd be mad at me for letting the break and discovering mechanical secret. My Baby Catch-a-Ball sat in the hallway of our apartment waiting to go to the doll hospital (never made it), and I wouldn't go to the bathroom alone, b/c I thought she would get me!
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Figuremod73
                That 80's guy
                • Jul 27, 2011

Originally posted by nvmbrsdoom5
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]20632[/ATTACH]

Got one of those for Christmas when I was really young and I was scared to death of it. Ironically, I would like to get another for my toy shelf. dec 25, 1976 2.jpg

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

I don't know if she remembers, but one time, I unmasked my Playing Mantis Dr. Evil, and it gave my daughter the willies. You could tell his blue skin, bulging eyes and exposed brain really freaked her out.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 23, 2013

Not at first, but MotU's Modulock got a little creepy.

Which reminded me of MotU slime, do they pack slime in toys these days?

In a different way, octopus wall walkers were a little creepy.

Comment

• JWLJN
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 7, 2013

Originally posted by Hedji
                      I don't know if she remembers, but one time, I unmasked my Playing Mantis Dr. Evil, and it gave my daughter the willies. You could tell his blue skin, bulging eyes and exposed brain really freaked her out.
                      I had no idea what this was and Googled it. I'm freaked out right along with your daughter!

-J\/\/
                      http://wrestlingmemorabilia.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/JWsWrestlingMemorabilia

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                        One eyed, wonder
                        • Dec 17, 2009

Thanks for the two classic "Charlie McCarthy" and "Cymbal Banging Monkey", so glad they made the list.
                        I searched my memory high and low and can only recall one toy that freak me out as a kid. I was totally into monster toys as a kid. So one time, I saw this rubber skull with rooted black hair and had to have it. Later that night, it freaked me out for some reason. Next day I threw it under the house. Never thought about it again. Decades later, my grandfather finds it and my sister tells him it's mine. So I'm lost at this point. I don't remember this thing at all and I'm not sure it's really mine. I end up giving it to a friend who loves monster/halloween stuff.
                        Years go by and the old memory starts coming back. While my friend still has the original, I'm not comfortable asking for it back. I did find one at a toy show. It's somewhere in my collection.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                          Still Old School
                          • Feb 14, 2008

My brother had a Tommy Talker that scared the crap outta me at bedtime. His eye would move.
                          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

I can't recall having a toy creep me out, but my wife had that experience. At one point, she wanted the Casper Talking Doll. She begged and begged for it. So, her parents bought it for Christmas, but when she received it she pulled the string and it scared her to death! She wanted nothing to do with it after that.

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Mego Mad Monsters Dracula.

There, I said it. Are you happy now?

Seriously, those tiny pupils set within the glow eyes and the wretched red mouth really gave me chills.

Comment

• Captain
                                Fighting the good fight!
                                • Jun 17, 2001

I had a hand me down battery powered old geezer who would smoke a cigarette. He was maybe a foot tall and looked a bit like the "Charlie Weaver" bartender toy you still see at toy shows.had eyes that always seemed to be looking right at you! One time, my Dad put batteries in, and added a dab of sewing machine oil, and it totally freaked me out to watch this thing smoke a cigarette and blow smoke out his ears.
                                I swear this thing would move on its own during the night. Bugged me so bad, I took it out to the far pasture and buried the cursed thing in an old badger hole. I was about 5 lol.
                                "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎