Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

The Super Powers figures are better sculpted, better articulated and better engineered toys but I still really dig the Secret Wars figures. They are so bright, shiny and colorful. Love the glossiness of them. They look like toy candy. I think they are just cheerful looking little figures.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

It sucks that Mattel totally halfassed the Secret Wars line. There totally should have been a Hulk, considering that he was the second most well known Marvel superhero to the general public at the time (i.e. non comic-reading folks) it's staggering that he wasn't included in the line.

And yeah, Kenner totally screwed up by banking on the Kirby Fourth World characters for the second series of Super Powers. As a fan of those comics, I was thrilled to see them, but the general public was just confused by these completely unknown and weird characters. They were all pegwarmers for years afterwards from what I remember.

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

Hey! That Secret Wars Hulk sculpt's very very cool, indeed! The posted pic is *Appreciated*! The musculature definition may have seemed a bit avantgarde for the time.
        Quite a piece of history there.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Man, I would have LOVED that Hulk as a kid! The lack of a Hulk was stupifying. Clearly, Mattel was more concerned with making truckloads of cash off of MOTU. And to think they originally pitched this SW concept to DC and they passed.

I think Kenner was thinking MOTU and GI Joe too much with Super Powers. By going all in on Darkseid as the big bad, they ignored the villain characters that many kids knew like the Riddler and Bizarro. Older seasons of Super Friends was still in constant reruns, as was Batman '66. They had built in advertising through those. Heck, even though it was 6 years earlier, the line may have lasted longer had they just went straight "Challenge of the Super Friends" with the toys.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Booster
            • Apr 29, 2018

I have heard that Mattel intentionally put very little money into Secret Wars as they didn't want it to cannibalize the sales of Masters of the Universe. Thus explaining the lack of capes in the first wave and incessant reuse of body parts. I still have no idea what motivated some of the second wave character selections. I also think that throughout the era Mattel overemphasized villains over heroes. Just look at Battlestar Galactica, Apollo was arguably the main character and had no figure, but we got a Boray. The Hulk would easily have outsold Baron Zemo. Oddly, I always figured a Secret Wars Hulk would have had cloth pants so his torso and legs could be used for The Thing. I figured their Thing would have had printed rocks like the lines on their Spider Man.

Comment

• msenger76
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 3, 2009

i just always used Mego hulk with my secret wars and super powers. he towered over them as the hulk should

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                Career Member
                • Jan 13, 2009

Beautiful figure. I would have bought it for sure. It does remind me of the Vic's Novelty Hulk. Maybe it's the lack of neck.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I guess I never realized that Hulk was never made for the line. I had a few of them back in the day but was always more of a SP fan

Comment

• msenger76
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 3, 2009

where can i find more on this book? who is the author, or do you know the isbn?

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• scott metzger
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        And yeah, Kenner totally screwed up by banking on the Kirby Fourth World characters for the second series of Super Powers. As a fan of those comics, I was thrilled to see them, but the general public was just confused by these completely unknown and weird characters. They were all pegwarmers for years afterwards from what I remember.
                        Considering they were on every Saturday morning, I don't think I'd call them unknown. Old stone face was the premiere big bad for the last two seasons of Super Friends. There wasn't a lot of coordination twixt Kenner and Hanna Barbera, or so it seemed, but this actually made sense. The big problem was that Darkseid shipped in a solid case, which is why he joined the Flash on pegs around here for many years to come after the third wave tanked.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by scott metzger
                          Considering they were on every Saturday morning, I don't think I'd call them unknown. Old stone face was the premiere big bad for the last two seasons of Super Friends. There wasn't a lot of coordination twixt Kenner and Hanna Barbera, or so it seemed, but this actually made sense. The big problem was that Darkseid shipped in a solid case, which is why he joined the Flash on pegs around here for many years to come after the third wave tanked.
                          Yeah, i agree that TV exposure is probably a safe bet, I just think Kenner vastly overestimated the Apokolips crew's potential popularity with kids. They were relatively new to children at this point (heck I didn't even know some of these characters!).

I didn't know about the case lots of Darkseid, that was clearly a fumble. He should have been short packed.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Booster
                            • Apr 29, 2018

Darkseid was in a solid case, because he was a larger deluxe figure that had a higher price point than the rest of the line.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                              Yeah, i agree that TV exposure is probably a safe bet, I just think Kenner vastly overestimated the Apokolips crew's potential popularity with kids. They were relatively new to children at this point (heck I didn't even know some of these characters!).

I didn't know about the case lots of Darkseid, that was clearly a fumble. He should have been short packed.
                              Admittedly, I’m a guy who only knows well the “main” comic book characters. I’m aware of many of the others, but don’t know much or anything about them and am not so interested to know. Because of that, the second series of Super Powers left me cold, for the most part. I loved the line and was excited for new figures before the new series was released. Once Series 2 was out, I recall being a bit confused by it because I didn’t know who a good number of the figures were. Green Arrow was awesome. I knew Firestorm, Darkseid and Steppenwolf since they were on The Super Friends. Shazam, Cyborg, Plastic Man and Samurai along with a couple of well known villains should have been part of that wave...basically half of Series 3 should have made up half of Series 2. I do think the Series Two figure choices lead to the end of the line. It was a real let down after the smash that was Series One.

- Ian
                              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• scott metzger
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 9, 2007

While selection of characters may have been a factor, keep in mind the reports over the years of the pack-outs for wave three. According to what I've read, some of the third waves cases were packed full of older figures with only a handful of the new ones; according to one source, you could get a case with 6 new figures and 18 of one old figure (that was in either Tomart's or Lee's some years ago) . It sounds crazy, but it would explain why there were so many Flash figures left around my area when the line ended (and there were a LOT of them).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎