X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    I've been watching TNG lately and it hasn't aged well.
    Funny you say that... Last year, I watched all TNG episodes start to finish, and (season 1 notwithstanding) I thought it was a lot better than I gave it credit.

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

I loved TOS when I watched reruns on Saturdays. I loved TNG when it aired (though I didn't start until later seasons and had to watch first few in reruns).
      I loved all the Trek movies old and new except 6 and insurrection. DS9 and Voyager had some OK stuff, but not worth watching all of them. Enterprise was bad. I am not going to watch Discovery until it streams on a service I already have. I will give Picard a watch (unless it is CBS streaming only - and it looks like it is). I love the character and I can see how they can use this as a way to make essentially new Next Generation episodes. Picard narrating as younger actors fill new roles. It is a platform to sell trek to suckers like me who want a connection with existing characters and situations.

PS I am currently rewatching TOS - talk about not aging well. The show is still great, but some of the situations and the choices Kirk makes are unbelievable. Some of the actors, choreography, and dialogue are rough at best. and costumes, sets and special effects are admirable for the time, but are just a little silly now.

TNG has aged better.
      Last edited by Brue; Jul 22, '19, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I think the effects on TNG have not aged well at all. TOs actually looks much better, although I admit I tend to watch the remastered versions when I watch

Comment

• Klosterheim
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 23, 2013

Star Trek The Original Series looks fantastic on MeTV. TNG looks good on Netflix. I lately find TNG and TOS easier to re-watch. I ran through Enterprise a few times, and with only four seasons, I'm starting to memorize about everything in it. I loved DS9 when it aired and enjoyed many repeats, but now season 7 is a little rough because all the episodes are closely linked together as one thing.

I am excited for Star Trek Picard now. I like expansions on old characters.

It might be one story arc too, but it should be cool.

What I think is best is that they have stand alone episodes with a second part at most, with the exception of ones like The Best of Both Worlds, where after two parts, the next episode is somewhat of an epilogue third part.

It will be nice if they keep making Picard, because I want Star Trek to expand in material, and Lower Decks looks like fun as well.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

Jeri Ryan still looks amazing

I am intrigued by this show, but I doubt I will get the streaming service. if word of mouth is good I will just buy it when it comes out on disc

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Where I think the original Trek series really beats Next Gen is in prop and alien designs. Next Gen suffered too much from weird forehead of the week alien designs and their Dustbusters just cannot compare to the original Phasers. I also think the original Enterprise is way nicer looking than the Next Gen one.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I like TNG well enough, well, after Season 3 or so. But the characters on that show were often so devoid of humanity, it made relating to them almost impossible. And the stories were often dull. The ones that stand out, like "The Best of Both Worlds" broke that mold. TOS was never dull. The character's had...well, character, and their inner conflicts were often as engaging as the great and fast-paced stories they were in.

Roddenberry's changed humanist beliefs made TMP a snorefest, and it almost did the same to TNG, but young blood managed to inject just enough life into it to make it watchable, and often times very good to great. I understand DS9 is full of that lost humanity, but I always found the space station premise boring, so I haven't watched much of it over the years. Voyager just seemed like a good concept handled poorly. Enterprise was the beginning of them monkeying around with the established canon, and I didn't like that, so I bailed early. I understand it got pretty good in the last two seasons.

The Abrams films may be a bit dumbed down, science-wise, but they did capture that adventurous spirit that has been missing in Trek since the original cast films ended. I LOVE Star Trek: Beyond. It's one of my favorite Trek adventures, PERIOD.

I will admit I'm interested in trying Picard, but I don't want to subscribe to CBS. I have enough subscriptions, and Disney + is going to offer a lot of stuff I want to see.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

I like Next Gen but not really interested in this

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    Where I think the original Trek series really beats Next Gen is in prop and alien designs. Next Gen suffered too much from weird forehead of the week alien designs and their Dustbusters just cannot compare to the original Phasers. I also think the original Enterprise is way nicer looking than the Next Gen one.
                    Yeah a lot of the late 80s/early 90s aesthetic doesn't stand the test of time like the mid-century design sensibility of TOS. I mean mileage varies but some of the alien designs are unintentionally hilarious now.

This Picard trailer, even though I'm not a fan of TNG, it feels somewhat generic. I could be wrong, it's a trailer but it felt more in line with the over the top action of Abrams' films.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

this show is just to drive nostalgia so that people who were on the fence about getting the streaming service before, for just Discovery, will take the plunge. I won't. I haven't seen a single episode of Discovery, although I hear it has some good to great moments. and I am a life long Trekkie, watched every series religiously.....except Enterprise, that one lost me early on because of playing with established cannon, but I did find my way back and ended up watching it all in the end as it did really come together in the last season

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

FWIW I enjoyed the hell out of Discovery. I love PS, but I'm not sure about Picard. I have some favorite story lines in TNG, but I find an awful lot to skip over too.

Comment

• 1st_PEST
                          • Jun 1, 2019

I agree with Nostalgiabuff... The J. J. Abram's movies and Discovery, made many of us old school fans bail on anything new... Picard will put a band-aid on that wound. We'll just have to wait and see if it evolves to something more than that... I'm not in any hurry to subscribe to CBS over this. loved Patrick Stewart in Conspiracy Theory, good guys always make the best bad guys.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

I actually liked the Abrams movies. they established a new timeline so I did not mind them playing with what had been done in the alpha universe

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

I enjoyed the Abrams movies and cast as well. I occasionally revisit the first and third one, the second one is fun to look at but a total mess storywise.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                                valar morghulis
                                • Mar 8, 2005

FWIW Patrick Stewart has said in multiple interviews this show will not be TNG 2.0, and will be "very different"..

Fast-forward to 5:38 in this video to hear Stewart's comments in regard to this not being a re-make..
                                Last edited by Sideshow Spock; Jul 31, '19, 9:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎