Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

I have the entire series on DVD, the early B&W episodes I think are better story lines, plus I liked Phyllis Coats
    portrayal as Lois Lane and thought she was strangely attractive.

The early episodes also had a death scene of a mobster and his girlfriend on a cliff, plus episodes with Ghosts, Wolves
    and Robots and Superman and the Mole Men two part movie, is very enjoyable.

The later color episodes were sort of 50/50 as far as scripts, like someone already said, more aimed at kids but still
    enjoyable, you will like some more than others.

The only thing missing from the series is Lex Luthor who was used in the serials in the 40's, I always thought it strange
    his character never appeared in any episodes.

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

I have many fond memories of this show, which I do have on bootleg DVD. When I was little, and my older brother would watch me, we'd make cinnamon toast and watch George as Superman. When I bought him the same bootleg series, I went to Seattle, and made cinnamon toast for the family and we all watched together.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Hahah! Actually, cinnamon toast and George Reeves sounds like a perfect combination!

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I think that, as I age, probably like many of you, I find the urge to go back to simpler times, and eras even before my time. I love in Superman the Movie when Clark says "Swell" and during the interview when Superman says "I'm sorry, I beg your pardon?"

Just little phrases like that... I try to use them in my social and professional life. (I'm working on "How do you do?" when I meet someone new.)

A small, charming series like this holds appeal for me in that regard.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
            Career Member
            • Jun 8, 2015

when you watch THINK: EARTH-TWO, even though it is the Daily Planet and NOT the Daily STAR! And it is Perry White and NOT George Taylor!

I just love that everyone wore those SUITS day to day. I wonder did people REALLY Dress like that in everyday real life???

WOuld like to wear a suit like that for Halloween!

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

Love the whole show. The B/W episodes are a bit more pulp, but not overly violent or anything. Some of the FX are pretty bad, but the stories are generally pretty engaging throughout. It's all very wholesome.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I watched it religiously as a kid on "RocketShip 7" every afternoon, even when i was 5 I thought it looked fake but it didn't bother me. The cast is wonderful but it's of it's time and the plots get pretty repetitive.

My in-laws gifted me the box set a few years back and I watched one or two but it was impossible for me to binge.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Do what I did as a kid. I saw George first, but after Chris became MY Superman, George was simply the Earth-Two Superman, and Chris was Earth-One. And it worked in my brain whenever the two would meet in the comics too!

Chris

when you watch THINK: EARTH-TWO, even though it is the Daily Planet and NOT the Daily STAR! And it is Perry White and NOT George Taylor!

I just love that everyone wore those SUITS day to day. I wonder did people REALLY Dress like that in everyday real life???

WOuld like to wear a suit like that for Halloween!
                  Sorry, didn't see this comment above until AFTER I posted mine. But yeah, think Earth-Two.
                  Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Jan 3, '19, 4:46 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• rykerw1701
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                    I watched it religiously as a kid on "RocketShip 7" every afternoon, even when i was 5 I thought it looked fake but it didn't bother me. The cast is wonderful but it's of it's time and the plots get pretty repetitive.

My in-laws gifted me the box set a few years back and I watched one or two but it was impossible for me to binge.

RocketShip 7 on channel 7 out of Buffalo was the morning show. Are you thinking of Commander Tom on that channel in the afternoon? He was the guy who wore a modified Mountie jacket, but also had puppets as co-hosts. The 70's were good for local programming like that. Anyway, that's where I watched Adventures off Superman as well as Batman.

I have the first few seasons on DVD, but I agree, it's not something you can binge. The nostalgia factor wears off pretty quickly.

Some unrelated Rocketship 7 trivia. The host was named Dave Thomas. For whatever reason he changed that to Dave Roberts when he became a meteorologist in Philadelphia, where I live now. His son is David Boreanaz who played Angel on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and his own show.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

The first season is more pulpy, and the second is still a bit less juvenile-directed than the later seasons, but I still get a big kick out of the later color seasons. Some of the episodes were adapted to the comics, or FROM the comics, with DC big-wig Whitney Ellsworth acting as executive producer on the series.

My favorite episode is probably the second to last, "The Perils of Superman". Superman has to save all of his friends (even Clark Kent!) from a gang of iron-masked revenge seekers. It's a tribute to old serials, and Superman at his most exciting, and also directed by George Reeves! The ending hook is similar to one we'll get on Superman: The Animated Series decades later.

Of course, a classic earlier episode is Season Two's "Panic in the Sky" which as a concept and title has continued to resonate in Superman lore.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Does anybody disagree George Reeves Clark Kent was THE best Clark Kent EVER ?

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jun 29, 2018

It has the same flaws that the silver age comics had logic wise. Genius invents something that would conceivably be worth a fortune in the free market and crooks use it to knock over a laundromat and chuckle about how clever they are.

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
                            He was great. He looked liked a leading man. I think Reeves/Salkinds steered toward awkward Clark, because that was part of the disguise.
                            G Reeve Clark was simply Superman with a different outfit.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

George had to carry the show as Clark, because the budget would only allow so much Superman, and George certainly preferred to minimize his time in the suit. So he had to be a competent, strong-willed character to move the stories forward. His Clark Kent is literally the crusading reporter.

Chris had to convince audiences the disguise work, and DIDN'T have to carry the stories as Clark, so it's an entirely different approach. Both are valid, and both worked great for their medium and the time.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Mikey
                                Absolutely the best, there's a reason John Byrne modeled his Kent after George. George played it like he had to restrain himself from doing Superman type things.
                                Last edited by thunderbolt; Jan 21, '19, 1:37 PM.
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎