X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
    It took me two sittings to finish the newest episode. It really is terrible. The writing sucks, and every episode is worse than the one before it. It's so sad...
    No. I thought the first was slow and uninteresting. Not 'bad'. I have not been impressed with most, but I really liked "Rosa"

Comment

• Godzilla
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 3, 2002

I'm going to take the unpopular opinion that the new series is ok. I'd give Capaldi's last season a solid A and this one a B right now.

While I find her delivery Tennant/ Smith like, I find the general tone of the show/her Doctor more in line with the Davison era. I'm ok with that.

I've generally enjoyed all the episodes thus far. I'd probably rank The Woman Who Fell to Earth as the least, but even that was entertaining.

I agree with Brian that the PTing reminded me of Stitch. Who borrows stuff all the time, so I'm ok with that. I thought they balanced the cute with the menace well. My kids also enjoyed it and I think Conundrum was their favorite of the season thus. I also don't hate the Adipose or Brannigan's kittens in reference.

The show has undergone a huge tonal shift and I get why people might not like it. They do really need to knock one out of the park to solidify the season.
      Mortui Vivos Docent
      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

I think what the show needs now, is a solid (and serious) episode with a classic bad guy. When you bring in lots of new elements, you need the rest to be familiar as a transition tool. Go back to basics.
        Because we have so many companions, the Doctor doesn't get enough attention so she can establish her position as the lead. Right now, the female companion just isn't doing much, so I'd let her go. Two companions is a lot easier to work with. So perhaps a Cyberman episode, where it all goes wrong and she gets badly wounded, enough for her to be taken back home. A wake up call for the Tardis crew and the viewer.

The new motto of the Doctor "I just want to help people" is a bit bland, so I'd like to see that "spiced up" a bit. Throw in some more weird behavior, she's an alien!

And I keep getting that "kids show" vibe, with which I mean low-level writing, a bit uninspired, and you know how it all is going to end, right? That, IMO, is the big problem. It's boring. I'm still watching, but the FF button is working overtime, and that's a sad thing….
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
          I think what the show needs now, is a solid (and serious) episode with a classic bad guy.

I think you've made a good point about the stakes of the show, it hasn't really felt like anything has been much of a threat. It doesn't even have to be a recurring villain, I'd be happy with a new creation that was well made and better thought out.

I'd love to see something like a rival timelord that isn't out to conquer the world but has a more violent approach to saving it, it would see the Doctor having to defend her position and testing her character. Like you said, maybe she fails, lot of good ideas in that and it's largely unexplored.

Whittaker also needs to figure out her Doctor soon too, maybe take some risks with it. It's very safe right now but it's also inconsistent.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Interesting episode tonight.
            The increased production values of this season are very evident... almost cinematic in scope
            Really liked the design of the aliens in this one.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• johnnystorm
              Hot Child in the City
              • Jul 3, 2008

'Punjab' was one of the best episode so far, although it felt a bit out of place. What did I miss from last week? How did they get back to the Tardis?
              The aliens were an unnecessary part too. The historical issues were way more interesting, and the aliens just seemed like a reason for The Doctor to stay around. A straight historical adventure would have been better. I did like that Yaz never changed anything, thus avoiding the 'you destroyed your own future' plot that 99.9% of time travel stories take.
              I like Yaz and Graham a lot.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

There was much more to like in this episode, nice mystery leading up to it and I especially enjoyed a setting we haven't seen before.

I also didn't mind the twist with the aliens but i agree that they weren't as interesting as the historical conflict itself. I would have been fine with a straight history and yes, what a relief we didn't get a "Marty McFly" plot. Kudos for an unhappy ending too.

It still feels like the Doctor is an afterthought in the writing process like they mapped out this whole thing with Yaz and needed something to placate her so she just wasn't a taxi.

Folks keep telling me that the four-person Tardis is an homage to the Hartnell era but those shows usually had 2 or more hours to tell a single story, in this format, it's tougher to spin all those plates.

Graham is my favourite character in this new season, they've really done a nice job with him.

Oh and the "this is an important episode, so we close with a meaningful song over the end credits" thing can stop now.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by palitoy

Oh and the "this is an important episode, so we close with a meaningful song over the end credits" thing can stop now.
                  And it was even a Punjab style arrangement of the Doctor Who theme, too.
                  No idea what the lyrics were, though.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                    And it was even a Punjab style arrangement of the Doctor Who theme, too.
                    No idea what the lyrics were, though.
                    Is that what it was? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show overall just found that cheesy, they did the same thing on "Rosa" and I kinda groaned then. It reminds me when sitcoms would get all serious and their credits would be silent.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, I also find it annoying, to be honest
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Those tabloid articles were dismissed as being misleading and pushing an agenda, the comparisons weren't accurate and when compared with previous seasons, it's performing in a pattern very similiar. It's actually beating Capaldi's previous season. Who ratings decline pretty steadily after every premier and the concept of this backlash is specious reasoning.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Not every Doctor or reboot is everyone's cup of tea. That's to be expected. Nothing wrong with that. I didn't really care for Eccleston. But I wasn't weird or hateful about it. The obsessive hate for Whittaker is not normal or healthy. The only constant in Doctor Who is change and in a couple of years the show will be rebooted again. Nothing to stress about.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                                Muddling through
                                • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                                Not every Doctor or reboot is everyone's cup of tea. That's to be expected. Nothing wrong with that. I didn't really care for Eccleston. But I wasn't weird or hateful about it. The obsessive hate for Whittaker is not normal or healthy. The only constant in Doctor Who is change and in a couple of years the show will be rebooted again. Nothing to stress about.
                                is there hate for her? I have not really seen much of that, but admittedly haven't been reading anything about the show. I do feel it is way too PC and I personally do not care for the current series so I deleted it from my DVR schedule. when it reboots again, I will set it to record again. very easy. for those that like it, great!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎