Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. I'm pretty disgusted with the new Mego.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. I'm pretty disgusted with the new Mego.

Sorry if this thread upsets some people, but I'm really quite disgusted with the way the new Megos have turned out.

I really wanted to like them. I really did, but I just can't. Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but stuff like flesh colored wrist joints on Batman's blue hands, an incorrectly proportioned bat symbol, no jacket on the Joker. These things are deal breakers for me. I really liked the Superman, Green Lantern, and Flash in pics. In person, Green Lantern's white gauntlets look incredibly cheap. You can see right through the ultra thin fabric and the ones I saw they were cut short and uneven. They just looked terrible. I had him in my hands...I truly WANTED to buy him...but I put him back because of those crappy gauntlets.

It really sucks because so many of these figures COULD have been perfect if these easily corrected issues were addressed beforehand. Why does Classic Batman NOT have blue wrist joints? As soon as I saw that it was an instant no sale for me.

The monsters are even worse. Frankenstein with no electrodes and combat boots? The Screaming Werewolf? Gimme a break. If you're gonna do Universal Monsters then DO THEM. Not generic substitutes.

I've seen the Screaming Werewolf film, and it's just sad. It was an embarrassing low point in Chaney's career I'm certain he wouldn't want to be remembered for, so to have a figure based off THAT film instead of his finest role as the Wolf Man is just pathetic.

There are other things too...availability, scalpers, and a general lack of quality in what I HAVE seen. A while back I decided I'm no longer going to "fix" brand new toys. I shouldn't have to, and neither should anyone else.

I know my own work ethic, and I would never send out some of the stuff I've seen. If you're gonna do something, do it RIGHT, or don't do it at all.

I hope things improve, but until they do, I'm not buying.

I'm going to return the unopened Dracula that was given to me to it's rightful owner or anyone else here who needs one. I'm out.

I'll stick to my models.
  • Ivaniski
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 24, 2007

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you stated. I may also add that the female figures neck/head area doesn't look right....something is off. The head looks push down too much in the neck area giving an appearance of "No Neck" or "Stubby neck". Additionally, I find the new CTVT female bodies to have much better ROM then the Mego ones. The Mego female arms pop off too much when trying to pose (akin to dislocated shoulder).
    Last edited by Ivaniski; Oct 22, '18, 9:23 AM.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

The issues people have are going to vary. I see Dwayne's points as he is a legit artist, so he's got a level of QC discernment I don't, because I'm not expecting it from a new company and at this price point. At 10/figure, I'm in for anything I or may kids may want. At 15, it has to be on the level of the monsters and Trek.

I do agree the monster "licensing" with Frank and Werewolf is overreach. I'm guessing using the Screaming title is a way to deflect Universal's trademark claim, but it's also easy to damage a brand this way by drawing an association to a garbage property. It's a great figure, though, so I'm sure I'll pick one up when it's widely available in December or sometime in 2019.

As for the female figures, I got my youngest Jeanie, Bewitched and Full House. I was surprised at how sturdy the new bodies are, which is a huge upgrade, but the female design was whack in the 70's and even more so 40 years later. By not creating a new body, the amount of money being left on the table by all the Mego-themed companies is head-shaking. Even if that meant the females were a completely different construct, the buying appeal would be greater.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

You guys are welcome to your opinion, and I don't begrudge you for having one or expressing it. I don't agree with it for the most part, mostly based on the price point of these figures. At half the price FTC is charging for similar figures, I think the quality is pretty good, and fairly consistent with classic Mego. There are things classic Mego never got right that we now overlook. Captain America being a prime example. There's a lot wrong with that figure. Now, I'm not saying New Mego should default to the lower end of the original's output, but these aren't Hot Toys or Mezco 1:12 Collective figures, and are nowhere near those prices. Yes, I wish the wrist pins were colored the same as the hands, and the Joker missing a jacket is a bit of a bridge too far, but I'm still pleased overall with the execution of these characters at this price point. If they were $30 to $40, I honestly probably wouldn't be.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Mary Canary
          Career Member
          • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          You guys are welcome to your opinion, and I don't begrudge you for having one or expressing it. I don't agree with it for the most part, mostly based on the price point of these figures. At half the price FTC is charging for similar figures, I think the quality is pretty good, and fairly consistent with classic Mego. There are things classic Mego never got right that we now overlook. Captain America being a prime example. There's a lot wrong with that figure. Now, I'm not saying New Mego should default to the lower end of the original's output, but these aren't Hot Toys or Mezco 1:12 Collective figures, and are nowhere near those prices. Yes, I wish the wrist pins were colored the same as the hands, and the Joker missing a jacket is a bit of a bridge too far, but I'm still pleased overall with the execution of these characters at this price point. If they were $30 to $40, I honestly probably wouldn't be.

Chris
          I'm in this camp. Are they perfect? No. But they are FUN, inexpensive, and they make me happy! I can't think of another current toyline that does all of that, except maybe Imaginext, and even then their price point can be a bit much for the vehicles and playsets (which I don't normally buy). But I can collect lots of characters, open them, pose them, put them on my shelf, and I'm guilt free! I don't have $100 to spend on a doll or a figure these days. I'm not a fan of the attempts to make modern figures hyper-realistic or overly articulated, with 3 sets of swapable hands (eyeroll). I do wish they were available at stores in Canada, but so far I haven't had a problem acquiring any of the figures I want.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
            Career Member
            • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by Mary Canary
            I'm in this camp. Are they perfect? No. But they are FUN, inexpensive, and they make me happy! I can't think of another current toyline that does all of that, except maybe Imaginext, and even then their price point can be a bit much for the vehicles and playsets (which I don't normally buy). But I can collect lots of characters, open them, pose them, put them on my shelf, and I'm guilt free! I don't have $100 to spend on a doll or a figure these days. I'm not a fan of the attempts to make modern figures hyper-realistic or overly articulated, with 3 sets of swapable hands (eyeroll). I do wish they were available at stores in Canada, but so far I haven't had a problem acquiring any of the figures I want.
            I totally agree with "her hotness" Mary on this.. Are they're issues I would change? "sure, of course there is" However, I'm pleased to see my favorite classic toys back and SO looking forward to new trek and monster figures. I've also found some of them to be a nice addition to my customizing fodder that I didn't even think i would buy.
            I also totally understand where you're frustration is coming from. That's one of the reasons I collect Hot Toys. Those figures take care of my type A personality, while the Mego's handle the child in me. I try to keep myself balanced.
            "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

All of this is about our personal expectations of the new line, if it doesn't work for you, the right thing is not to buy and nobody can say that's wrong because it's how you feel.

Me? I'm over the moon about certain things, that Werewolf, in particular, is the most awesome thing yet for me. I'm bored of Uni Wolfman, so this is like getting a Distinctive Dummies figure at Target but, like i said, mileage varies for each individual.

In all of this, the one thing that bothers me isn't complaining or criticism because we'll always have it and some of it is quite understandable. I worry more about the growing lack of understanding that everybody sees things differently and the weird divide it's causing in some places. We seem to be caught up in being right, even though our preferences aren't transferable.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Count_Popula
                Museum Super Collector
                • Aug 28, 2018

I don’t think I can say it better than Mary & Capt_Kirk already have, but I agree, I dig ‘em. They may not be exact representations of the characters in all cases, but nor were the originals. The Trek line is very well done, IMO, an improvement over the originals (repainted Lizard = Gorn). And these new monsters appeal to me, whereas the Mad Monsters of the 70s never really did. I find it funny & cool that something as obscure as the Screaming Werewolf gets an official figure in 2018.

They make me happy and they’re very affordable, even more so when Target has a sale. I just hope the company sticks around, gets deeper into the lines of characters, and maybe scores some exciting new licenses, like Marvel.

Comment

• SWCWorld
                  Museum Patron
                  • Aug 10, 2011

Originally posted by palitoy
                  All of this is about our personal expectations of the new line, if it doesn't work for you, the right thing is not to buy and nobody can say that's wrong because it's how you feel.
                  This is a great post! Because of Mego coming back, I actually am enjoying shopping for action figures again, which is something I had not done since the mid-1990s during the new "wave" of GI Joe and its popularity. At the time, Hasbro did many exclusive deals with Target, including bringing back the 12" GI Joe in the form of Duke in 1991 (Target exclusive) and later some of the Masterpiece line figures. From prior experience, many of the Joes were hard to find and one had to keep looking and checking at different Targets. Frustrating at times yet fun. That's why it is not surprising to me that different Targets have different stock at this point of Megos, some have wave 1 only, some both wave 1 and a smattering of wave 2, some wave 2 only, etc.

The original Mego was so much fun in the early 1970s; we took them to elementary school and played with them at recess, and other than GI Joe, Mego was the best, and so I collect now because it is still fun and something I can share with my sons. My youngest is trying to collect the Star Trek figures and my oldest, Happy Days. In fact, as I shared with Paul via PM on Facebook, I have a friend who is not a toy or action figure collector at all, but because she is a "Trekkie" and because I introduced her to the Star Trek line of new Megos, she is buying one of everything Star Trek as they are released. She is already looking forward to the upcoming Mirror Mirro Sulu/Uhura set. That, to me, is what being a Mego Ambassador is all about.

To echo Palitoy's sentiments, buy what you like. I don't buy nearly all the new Megos, and although I was skeptical of the 14" size and line at first, I have now bought 2 from each wave (and hunting, so far unsuccessfully, for Superman), and now the 14" line is my favorite of the new Megos.

Thank you, Marty and Paul (and all others involved) for making a fun slice of my childhood a neat part of my adulthood!

Comment

• toothaction
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 15, 2017

I have no idea what a Hot Toy costs, I don't even really want to know, but I do know that for well under a hundred dollars I now have nine new dollies that I absolutely adore. For me, a little jankiness is an enormous part of the charm. If it turns out that what the gang is up to isn't your bag, so be it, but I'm one of the many who considers themselves lucky that so many sweet hits of happy nostalgia have come flooding down the pike. Growing pains? Sure, but I'll ride it out with them.
                    >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

I too have minor complaints, or things I would like to see improved upon. Mainly paint applications like Cpt Kirk for example...one of Mego's absolute FINNEST sculpts ruined by a bad paint job. But I've waited long time(we ALL have)for Mego to return...and over all, I'm extremely grateful to have Mego back, especially at this price point.
                      sigpic

Comment

• tllgn
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 6, 2010

no complaints here ,i think for what its worth ,that today is a good day for mego fans .

Comment

• kerowack
                          Career Member
                          • Feb 27, 2008

The price point on these things cancels out almost every complaint you’ve listed. At least it does for me. I have Superman, green lantern, Zod and Wonder Woman. All are fine additions to the mego catalogue. The monsters are great and OBVIOUSLY the only legal way to do it for them. Star Trek stuff has been beautiful and I grabbed Norma and cliff because they were cool. There are a lot of figures I find bland (almost every female), but outside of some quality control issues, these are exactly what we should expect at this price. Start charging FTC prices and now we are having a different conversation.

Comment

• Legend of Link
                            Career Member
                            • Jun 12, 2010

Originally posted by kerowack
                            The price point on these things cancels out almost every complaint you’ve listed. At least it does for me. I have Superman, green lantern, Zod and Wonder Woman. All are fine additions to the mego catalogue. The monsters are great and OBVIOUSLY the only legal way to do it for them. Star Trek stuff has been beautiful and I grabbed Norma and cliff because they were cool. There are a lot of figures I find bland (almost every female), but outside of some quality control issues, these are exactly what we should expect at this price. Start charging FTC prices and now we are having a different conversation.
                            DC7ABCB8-6936-485A-AB7A-498ECB9F5A9C.jpg.

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r561/Sgordy199/ <- My Mego Pictures

Comment

• MysteryWho
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 16, 2008

I'm not so fussed about the imperfections because original Mego had their own and it is all about the price point. Original Megos were an inexpensive alternative to 12" Joes and others of that ilk. I seriously doubt licensing was quite as expensive as I presume it is now. So to maintain the lower price and production/licensing costs these figures aren't going to turn out perfectly. I think they are doing pretty well under current conditions as I see them. It's interesting that the old imperfections and cheaping out original Mego did became quaint and part of their charm but the new figures are constantly put down. If you want Hot toys, buy them. There's room in my collection for a little of everything.
                              Meanwhile, I still have a beef with new Mego, and that is simply that they are not readily available to me. Many of the figures I want to own are unavailable. I hate the idea of paying scalpers on eBay, but I can't seem to get them on the website and I am unable to go to the store. THAT is a drag.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎