Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Long Story About Tracking Down a 40 Year-Old Comic.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

My Long Story About Tracking Down a 40 Year-Old Comic.

Not quite a year ago I posted this thread here:

https://www.comics.org/issue/76166/ I'm trying to track down a horror comic I had when I was a kid that left a big impression on me, but it's a nearly impossible task to conquer even with the aid of the internet. The description of the stories in this particular book sound about right to me, but it's the images that would

Well, there's been a development, which, if you care to, you can read about on my blog.

So don't give up hope on that one comic, movie, or toy you have a strong memory of but no real way to describe it clearly. You may just stumble upon it by total accident some day!
    Last edited by Iron Mego; Sep 3, '18, 11:21 PM.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter
  • comicmike
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 22, 2009

Great post. Very appreciated. Truly.

I lost my Dad this year. It has been a tough year for me. With my cousin's suggestion, I even travelled with my RC Batman Mego for our family time together...to have one with me just like the one he first gifted to me, to remind me of him.
    Also, he always bought me comic books. So many of them I have researched through the years to find again, especially because I was notorious to cut out my favourite drawings from them when I was a youngster. This year, I finally found Batman Family #4. It is a nostalgic treasure to best remind me of my Dad: He had saught it out for me after I first learned there was even a Batgirl(!).

I have learned it is important to never give up on these memories of feeling young again, safe, and cared about: Whatever may be the genre.
    Last edited by comicmike; Sep 4, '18, 9:05 PM.

Comment

• Mary Canary
      Career Member
      • Jun 21, 2017

Great story! And so true how important it is to hang on to those feelings of being young, safe, cared about, and dare I say, bright eyed with imagination and the magic of our heroes!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

Great stuff! Thanks so much for sharing, both of you. It’s been a pleasure to read and see.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by comicmike
          Great post. Very appreciated. Truly.

I lost my Dad this year. It has been a tough year for me. With my cousin's suggestion, I even travelled with my RC Batman Mego for our family time together...to have one with me just like the one he first gifted to me, to remind me of him.
          Also, he always bought me comic books. So many of them I have researched through the years to find again, especially because I was notorious to cut out my favourite drawings from them when I was a youngster. This year, I finally found Batman Family #4. It is a nostalgic treasure to best remind me of my Dad: He had saught it out for me after I first learned there was even a Batgirl(!).

I have learned it is important to never give up on these memories of feeling young again, safe, and cared about: Whatever may be the genre.
          That's a great story. Kinda makes you think about what memories our kids will treasure when they are our age.
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• comicmike
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 22, 2009

Hi Iron Mego, Mark,
            Re: your blog

"...there is mention of grave robbing in the vampire tale. Maybe that was it, or maybe that's actually in the issue of The Tomb of Darkness I posted above??..."

I did some digging for you: "Tomb of Darkness #12" had 4 reprinted stories. I found 3 of the 4 stories online for you to see and read. The links are below. I hope they help add to some of your ongoing memory retrieval.

1975/01
            Front cover Gil Kane, Klaus Janson 1
            Ti: The Body Snatchers ?
            Cr: W-[N.G.] P/L-Al Luster I/F-Al Luster L-[N.G.] C-[N.G.]
            Rp: Reprint from Adventures into Terror #24

Finally, the third story in my Al Luster tribute, come with us as we head out to the graveyard to find us some body! I hope you enjoy this ...

Ti: If The Shoe Fits ?
            Cr: W-[N.G.] P/L-[N.G.] I/F-[N.G.] L-[N.G.] C-[N.G.]
            Rp: Reprint from Strange Tales (I) #8 ; reprinted in Marvel Masterworks: Atlas Era Strange Tales - Volume 1

Synopsis: "A man who murders a shoe maker becomes trapped in wet cement."; Reference:
            Featured Characters: Unnamed Stranger Antagonists: Kurt Braun (First appearance; dies) Other Characters: Two unnamed villagers Races and Species: Bats (Referenced) Rats Humans Pigs (Mentioned) Locations: Earth-616 Earth Germany Black Forest Kurt Braun's Old Mill A mill hand disposes of his tyrannical boss by grinding him up. Featured Characters: Ed Farnum (First appearance) (Apparent death) Supporting Characters: Unnamed Stranger Antagonists: Devil Other Characters: Big Jim (Referenced) (Decease

Ti: The Vampire's Coffin! ?
            Cr: W-[N.G.] P/L-Tony DiPreta I/F-Tony DiPreta L-[N.G.] C-[N.G.]
            Rp: Reprint from Mystery Tales #15
            W#: C-801

Ti: Love Story ?
            Cr: W-Stan Lee P/L-Joe Maneely I/F-Joe Maneely L-[N.G.] C-[N.G.]
            Rp: Reprint from Spellbound (I) #14

(Please find the story ~3/4 of the way down the page, to:
            'C-017 Spellbound #14 Love Story Maneely 5 pages')

Thru The Looking Glass Thursday Story Day. Something to read for the Christmas weekend. I was proud to recieved my copy of Twomorrows' c...

"A hunter in Africa is murdered by his wife and accomplice doctor, but not before the man leaves instructions with the natives to kill the doctor and marry off the woman to a witch doctor."

Additional References:

Appearances not yet listed A hunter in Africa is murdered by his wife and accomplice doctor, but not before the man leaves instructions with the natives to kill the doctor and marry off the woman to a witch doctor. Appearances not yet listed A text only story featuring a jewel thief whom ignores local superstitions and chooses to cross a haunted strait but soon finds that his disastrous voyage was only a dream. He then wakes up with the police at the door. Appearances not yet listed Synopsis not

Format adapted from http://www.maelmill-insi.de/UHBMCC/horror6.htm#S863

-Mike

Comment

• Iron Mego
              Wake Up Heavy
              • Jan 31, 2010

Man, I don't know how you did that--I searched so many different ways it's not even funny--but thanks.

I definitely did NOT have that comic, so another portion of the story solved.
              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• glimpy
                Loco Chango
                • Feb 5, 2012

I'm still trying to find comic book I used to have back in the 70s still cannot find it
                sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

I remember reading a comic book that had Batman fighting Aquaman, land and water (Batman wore an oxygen mask)
                  I think Batman bested him, but I can't remember the story line, it was about mid 70's, I really wish I could somehow track this comic down somehow if anything just for curiosity sake.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^Brave and the Bold 114, 126, or 142?
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• comicmike
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                      I remember reading a comic book that had Batman fighting Aquaman, land and water (Batman wore an oxygen mask)
                      I think Batman bested him, but I can't remember the story line, it was about mid 70's, I really wish I could somehow track this comic down somehow if anything just for curiosity sake.
                      Possibly Brave & Bold 126 or 142?

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Batman #301 - “The Only Man Batman Ever Killed” - David V. Reed/John Calnan/Tex Blaisdell This one starts out with a charity antiques auction. The auction is an all-cash affair, which just seems like an invitation for trouble to me. Batman thinks so too and watches as the cash is transferred to the bank’s night

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.
                      Last edited by comicmike; Sep 20, '18, 9:23 PM.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                        Wake Up Heavy
                        • Jan 31, 2010

Good luck to those looking for a long lost comic! It's a wholly satisfying feeling to finally reunite with one!
                        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

What a fascinating read Iron Mego! Thanks for sharing that story and providing an enthralling journey through your search and discovery. It's a perfect illustration of how difficult it can be maintaining moments and images that captured our imaginations as kids and sorting ALL of that over time to our recollection accurately. It's another reason why I enjoy this particular hobby/forum, because its allowed me to continue a conversation that quite honestly I have tried to maintain since I was a kid. From the time I saw Batman '66 and Spider-man '67 during their first run, I was hooked. Comics became my next fix to continue that journey when those shows were not on. And finally Mego introduced the WGSH, which took my world of imagination and shot me into this incredible place where I mixed comic moments, movie moments, and cartoon moments.

The Mego Museum offers a space to keep those moments alive and remain as vivid as they were when I first experienced them. When we quit talking about them and quit celebrating them, their importance carries less weight and so our memory relegates them to a corner where we may never find them again. I intend to keep mine in the spotlight for as long as I can. So thanks again for sharing your story. I completely connected with it.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

That was really great! Now I want that issue! It looks awesome.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                              Wake Up Heavy
                              • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by MIB41
                              What a fascinating read Iron Mego! Thanks for sharing that story and providing an enthralling journey through your search and discovery. It's a perfect illustration of how difficult it can be maintaining moments and images that captured our imaginations as kids and sorting ALL of that over time to our recollection accurately. It's another reason why I enjoy this particular hobby/forum, because its allowed me to continue a conversation that quite honestly I have tried to maintain since I was a kid. From the time I saw Batman '66 and Spider-man '67 during their first run, I was hooked. Comics became my next fix to continue that journey when those shows were not on. And finally Mego introduced the WGSH, which took my world of imagination and shot me into this incredible place where I mixed comic moments, movie moments, and cartoon moments.

The Mego Museum offers a space to keep those moments alive and remain as vivid as they were when I first experienced them. When we quit talking about them and quit celebrating them, their importance carries less weight and so our memory relegates them to a corner where we may never find them again. I intend to keep mine in the spotlight for as long as I can. So thanks again for sharing your story. I completely connected with it.
                              Thank you, and thanks for reading my little story. Glad it connected with you.

Originally posted by Hedji
                              That was really great! Now I want that issue! It looks awesome.
                              It's pretty awesome actually. Probably why it stuck with me for so long.
                              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎