X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWCWorld
    Museum Patron
    • Aug 10, 2011

The 14" Figures

Just wanted to gauge the interest or feelings about the new 14" line of Mego figures? I've seen some pretty disparaging thoughts on the Ambassadors FB page...

When the new Megos were announced, I had no plans at all to buy a 14" figure, as I never owned any of the larger (12") Mego figures back in the day; no real reason, just collected and played with the WGSH 8" line, the Mad Monster series, and of course, the Planet of the Apes line. The more I've seen of the figures in stores, though, the more the 14" figures have grown on me, so I took the plunge and purchased a General Zod about two weeks ago. For all the hubub, I actually like the figures a great deal; for $19.99 as a retail figure, I think (compared to similar sized retail figures), the articulation is excellent, as is the sculpting detail. Yes, I agree about the "2nd neck" on the torso (a situation according to Paul that has been corrected for wave 2 of the 14" figures), but the sculpting of the head is really nice, and I may be in the minority, but I like the double-jointed knees and the 14 points of articulation.

In fact, I went back just last week and picked up the Batman figure. As shown elsewhere on the forum and FB, I padded around the shoulder/neck area under the costume, and the figure looks pretty good! He's on display right now in my room....heck, with the ceiling fan on, I like the movement of the cape....

Looking very much forward to the second wave; will buy at least one 14" in that wave....especially if it is the Joker or Superman... Will be interested to see how the Flash and Green Lantern turn out. And no, I'm not buying the female 14" figures, but that's just preference, nothing else.
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Here is how I feel about the 14" figures...

The Bad:
    • The double neck on the males is a problem, although it's more distracting to me on Batman than Zod.
    • The head sizes are vastly different on all of the figures (except maybe WW and Harley, but I don't own the latter). Zod seems to be the most in-scale to the body.
    • My Zod has a floppy waist.
    • WW's bracelets and Batman's gauntlets are a little cheap feeling, with the opening on them.

The Good:
    • Despite the different sizes, the head sculpts are nice (I like the WW head).
    • The articulation is great.
    • The outfits are well done.

So, yeah, I think there are issues with these. The double neck (which everyone says is being resolved) and the varying head sizes are my biggest issues. Well, the floppy waist is bothersome too.

But I still like these figures, especially as a primarily super-hero collector. I am looking forward to the second wave and hope we will see improvement. If the first wave had to have issues, I am glad it happened with Zod, Harley, WW and a black outfit Batman. We are probably getting another Batman, hopefully in my preferred blue outfit, and WW's only issue is the the large head size, and I don't know if that will change with the second series. I'd be more disappointed if blue outfit Batman and Superman were in the first series and had these issues.

Comment

• Teemu
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 15, 2010

Saw them today and they are awful!

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

You know, Teemo, if someone here posted that in regard to FTC, you'd be all PO'd and defensive.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• wise guy
          Career Member
          • Dec 29, 2014

Originally posted by Teemu
          Saw them today and they are awful!
          I put them in my cart at Target but dumped them before I got to the front.
          I wanted to help Mego out because they aren't selling in my area (one endcap has 8 WW'S
          and Harleys for 2 weeks). If Figures Toys produced these a lot more people would be
          haters .

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by wise guy
            I put them in my cart at Target but dumped them before I got to the front.
            I wanted to help Mego out because they aren't selling in my area (one endcap has 8 WW'S
            and Harleys for 2 weeks). If Figures Toys produced these a lot more people would be
            haters .
            more like a lot more people would be honest, or not if you take into consideration the FTC cheerleaders. I personally don't have any interest in collecting a new scale, so not even interested in the issues with the figures. Guessing this might be Mego's foot in the door with DC/WB tho so that's probably why they were made.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

My feelings: I don't collect multiple scales of action figures. I collect 8" Mego(or Mego style)and 12: Hot Toys figures. Plus, I really don't like that strange 14" out of proportion body. That said...seeing the original Mego Zod head sculpt does make me want to buy it.
              sigpic

Comment

• Teemu
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                You know, Teemo, if someone here posted that in regard to FTC, you'd be all PO'd and defensive.
                Not true at all. I don't defend FTC (um their crappy bodies,hello!) I believe people can have their opinion.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by Teemu
                  "I believe people can have their opinion."
                  Of course you and everyone else are entitled to their opinions. To the best of my knowledge, FTC haters haven't been appointed as Moderators of this forum...
                  Back to subject, I expect Mego to make at least Superman, Robin, Flash, Green Lantern and Green Arrow in subsequent waves. I hate to start a "collection" that ends up with just two figures or three.

Furthermore, I expect Mego to re-release the 14" Batman figure but in a Blue and Grey deco as I believe it has a great headsculpt and would make a great Neil Adams Batman.
                  Last edited by Boywonder0; Aug 21, '18, 8:46 PM.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 26, 2009

I like the 14" DC Megos, I have all 4. Bargain at $19.99. I am glad MEGO is able to do DC figures again any scale. When I heard there would be 14" figures I thought that was how MEGO got Marvel, I never expected DC which I thought FTC had a lock on. I like the 14" scale better reminds me of 12" Megos.Wonder Woman is my favorite looks like Lynda Carter. Batman and Zod's necks are long and small heads but great sculpts! And classic Harley! I hope this line continues indefinitely! Keep 4 per a wave at least and at least 1 female and 1 villian per wave. Yes I want 14" Marvel too. 1972 WGSH was all DC then Marvel WGSH came in 1973. Could 14" follow same pattern?

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

I'm hooked on them. I was kind of in a collecting/customizing rut and these have brought me out of my funk. Wave 1 isn't perfect but I know Mego is paying attention. My only regret is all the idiots who have magically (re)appeared along with the relaunch.

Comment

• bgiles73
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 14, 2010

Will 14” only be Super Heroes? If they can get the head and neck situation resolved I would not mind maybe getting a few Star Trek figures in that size too.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

If they do a blue Batman with a revised neck, I'm on-board. Dare I hope for Aquaman?
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TRDouble
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            If they do a blue Batman with a revised neck, I'm on-board. Dare I hope for Aquaman?
                            It would be the perfect time with the upcoming movie and the interest in Aquaman right now.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                              Career Member
                              • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                              I'm hooked on them. I was kind of in a collecting/customizing rut and these have brought me out of my funk. Wave 1 isn't perfect but I know Mego is paying attention. My only regret is all the idiots who have magically (re)appeared along with the relaunch.
                              Yes! They aren't perfect, true - but the fact that Mego IS paying attention and will do better with each wave makes me happy. I just don't know how many I'll be able to collect given the size and my lack of space... but at least they come in skinny boxes!

Originally I just wanted Zod, but lucked into getting a Wonder Woman after a friend picked up an extra. And I have to say, after seeing more pics of her online, I might be more excited about her than Zod. I finally get them this weekend! My first new Mego!

Here's a cool review of 14" Wonder Woman by BRBTV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sijECarukkA While a removable tiara would've been nice for those who want to make a Diana Prince figure, I love her face and hair! I guess you could remove the tiara with nail polish remover if you were inclined to customize her, as long as you had a physical tiara to replace it with. Me, I think I'll just leave her as is.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎