• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

BIG Toys Week: Bionic Bigfoot by Kenner

BIG Toys Week: Bionic Bigfoot

OK, so this isn’t the biggest toy to start off with but this toy inspired this week’s theme, so there.

I recently came across one of these at a semi-local comic shop called Big B. I never tracked down an affordable Bigfoot and the combination of the price being in Canadian dollars, a “Make offer” button and two cans of “Spaten” made this purchase a lock.

I think this is the first time I’ve really looked the box since Christmas 1978, in fact, that “Bionic Pink” is now tied to Christmas memories as it was a staple from 1975 to 1978.

It’s pretty obvious that this doll is based on the Ted Cassidy portrayal.

Its fun to reunite with an old childhood friend, like a lot of kids, Bionic Bigfoot would end up being my final Bionic Man toy.

He certainly was well made and one of my favourite characters from the show, however I played with him a whole heck of a lot less than the other figures in the line.

This probably had a lot to do with his lack of action features (Hey, Maskatron makes everyone look like a poor cousin here but "Grasping Arms" aren't exciting) and the fact that he seemed to come so late in the game. The “Six Million Dollar Man” was in its fifth season and by Christmas 1978 I had already become enamored with Star Wars.

Much of my Bigfoot play was reserved to playing a “Giant Wookie” for the 3 ¾” line or later as a poor man’s Chewbacca for my 12” Han Solo doll.

Still, in mint condition in 1985, I sold my childhood Sasquatch at a yard sale for $2.00. That still kind of stings, it’s nice to be reunited.

Like our Facebook Page
    Check out our Instagram

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Awesome high-res pics. Thanks for posting. Kenner’s SMDM packaging remains one of my all time favourites.
    I managed to snag a MIB Maskatron last year and love looking at the art.
    Happy ya got him back.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• acrovader
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2011

A rather bare-bones, boring figure. There really isn't much to it. Kenner should've created some villains not from the show for Steve to fight.
      I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by RSS

....... a “Make offer” button and two cans of “Spaten” made this purchase a lock.
        This made me LOL because "been there".

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Neat! Did you open it? I would totally open it. Such a cool toy.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Makernaut
            This made me LOL because "been there".
            I kind of thought that might be a relatable moment.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
              Neat! Did you open it? I would totally open it. Such a cool toy.
              Yeah, I was kind of forced to as his chest panel fell off in transit. He's suffering a little from "loose arms" (similiar to Kenner Alien) but otherwise, he's pretty swell.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I never had this, but who didn't want a Bigfoot figure in the 70s? He was on TV more than Paul Lynde.

Great pics!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

^ Just barely.

I adored this figure, I really pined for it until I received it.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jacoblb
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2009

I would love to own this figure, "It is." *
                    All my SMDM figures are loose. I lack Big Foot and the Fembot.

*my Howard Stern inside joke.

Comment

• Mr. Hollywood
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Nov 29, 2012

Love mine!

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

a “Make offer” button and two cans of “Spaten”
                        I had to google "Spaten" but yeah, other than the choice of alcohol, I totally understand.
                        Bigfoot was cool, but as a kid, after experiencing the wonder of Maskatron, Bigfoot seemed kind of boring in comparison, so I never did get one.

Comment

• Ranger 3
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 25, 2007

RE: Bionic Pink; Being a colorblind as a kid (ok, I still am), I never realized that the SMDM packaging I loved so much was PINK! Good thing too, because I already had a complex about wanting the Jamie Sommers doll. I mean action figure.

RE: Bionic Bigfoot; I had all the bionic figures except this one, but my friend Doug did. As much as I loved the whole line, for some reason I wasn't drawn to this one. Being able to play with Doug's may have satisfied me as I remember thinking that Sasquach was kinda boring.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

I think the Bionic packaging is very iconic and dynamic. It really pops. I wish toy companies would go back to thinking pink as more of a gender neutral color again. Past the 70s and 80s pink was pretty much just for Barbie packages. You would never see Batman on a pink card these days. I think collectors would have a hemorrhage.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Cool! Always wanted a Bionic Bigfoot as a kid... I might finally try to acquire a loose one in decent condition.
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎