X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greensavage2000
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 9, 2013

Advice on washing Thing suit

I want to wash my Thing's outfit. It's not very dirty but I have to restring him and I'm thinking about giving him a custom belt. I just wondering if there's any chance of the black or the orange bleeding into each other? It's actually the one I played with as a child. I would appreciate any advice. I'd hate to wash it and really mess him up.
  • darkbros
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 3, 2012

if it's not super dirty, then I would hand wash it in cold water with Woolite.
    I've gotten plenty of suits clean that just had mild dirt on them this way.
    For Tougher dirt, spot treat with OxyClean per directions, and then wash normally.
    Bleeding shouldn't happen, I recently did a Spider-Man suit and a Captain America suit
    in woolite and there was no bleeding. I did a dirty SuperJoe Black and Green suit with
    the oxyclean method, and there was no bleeding on it as well.
    20+ year old suits hold up well amazingly....
    Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
    https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• greensavage2000
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 9, 2013

Thanks, for letting me know. I'm going to wash him right now.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Darkbros gave you good info. Thing suits are stable and I have never seen one run. Oxyclean is a little risky on some of the other suits though, so be careful before you break it out in the future. I have had it cause bleed on Shazam cuffs and Trek shirts.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Tepid water with a dash of white vinegar and dish-soap has never failed me, but Woolite is a safe bet.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• greensavage2000
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 9, 2013

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah oxyclean can be your best friend or your worst enemy. Years ago when there was only oxyclean the all-purpose cleaner and no laundry detergent oxy, I was helping my mom go through some old boxes of clothes. This was after she had started treatment for her cancer which is why I was doing all this instead of her.
            We came across an old dress she loved but the box had got wet and it had a bad stain. It was a navy blue dress with white polka dots. The polka dots had a little bit of thickness to them. So we put it in a pan with water and the recommended amount of oxy.
            We let it soak for a little. The pan was sitting on the floor. I bent over, grabbed the dress, stood up, arms outstretched displaying a perfectly clean navy blue dress with no dots. I looked down into the pan and hundreds of white polka dots were floating in the water.
            There's clean and then there's a little too clean. It was a groan and laugh moment for sure.
            Here's a pic of my clean Thing. Him and my Mr. Mxyzptlk were missing belts so I made them belts too.

Comment

• darkbros
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 3, 2012

Nice! Great job!
              Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
              https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------
              "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• greensavage2000
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 9, 2013

Originally posted by darkbros
                Nice! Great job!
                And thanks to you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢