Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AFi First Look: Marvel Cloth Retro Wolverine Action Figure Limited Edition Box Set

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DSTZach
    Museum Super Collector
    • Mar 1, 2012

Nothing will be changing. These are final packaged samples.

The yellows are meant to not match, I believe, same as retro Captain America. This is meant to be Mego's take on Wolverine. Hence the removable mask.

Mask fits over the Logan head, it's just a slightly tighter fit, because his hair is a little fuller.

Comment

• Boywonder0
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 29, 2007

^^^Thank you very much for these sets and please don't let the critics discourage DST from bringing more. Also thanks for the packaging improvements!^^^

Comment

• DSTZach
        Museum Super Collector
        • Mar 1, 2012

Oh, we are not stopping. Lots of new stuff in the works.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

First, I'm in for the purchase. That said...

The video helps explain the RM look, which I didn't get at first. My problem with it, is I fall into the Austin/Leitner camp where Mego consistency also calls for character and company chronology.

Peter Parker, the most notable Secret ID outside Kent and Wayne, wasn't given an RM figure. They were gone by '74, which was when Wolverine first appeared...as a quasi-villain with no Secret ID.

RM Wolverine is designed after X-Men Wolverine from '75 onward and the face under the RM mask matches those early appearances. His face sans mask and name are first shown in '76 and '77.

The earliest Mego Wolverine would then be '78; the Claremont/Byrne Golden Years and the explosion of The character's popularity. That fits perfectly with DST ReMego...except there's no way Mego would offer an RM.

Logan as a character didn't become popular until the Miller mini-series, which does fit the DST Secret ID figure and would be a definite possibility from an 80's Mego considering how hugely popular the mini was.

I get what EMCE/DST were thinking; pack as many Wolverine variations into one set, and an RM provides a Bezerker Wolverine option, sans mask. But I actually think the choice was backwards. Yellow/Blue was Wolverine with his Secret ID shrouded in mystery while Brown/Orange became synonymous with Logan as Wolverine due to the mini-series.

I know this reads as an incredible fanboy nitpick, but continuity of character/Mego production style provides uniformity that places everything in a museum/retrospective context. And again, I'm still buying because the work is fantastic.
          Last edited by hedrap; Mar 8, '15, 2:51 PM.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 12, 2014

I agree.
            Originally posted by hedrap
            First, I'm in for the purchase. That said...

The video helps explain the RM look, which I didn't get at first. My problem with it, is I fall into the Austin/Leitner camp where Mego consistency also calls for character and company chronology.

Peter Parker, the most notable Secret ID outside Kent and Wayne, wasn't given an RM figure. They were gone by '74, which was when Wolverine first appeared...as a quasi-villain with no Secret ID.

RM Wolverine is designed after X-Men Wolverine from '75 onward and the face under the RM mask matches those early appearances. His face sans mask and name are first shown in '76 and '77.

The earliest Mego Wolverine would then be '78; the Claremont/Byrne Golden Years and the explosion of The character's popularity. That fits perfectly with DST ReMego...except there's no way Mego would offer an RM.

Logan as a character didn't become popular until the Miller mini-series, which does fit the DST Secret ID figure and would be a definite possibility from an 80's Mego considering how hugely popular the mini was.

I get what EMCE/DST were thinking; pack as many Wolverine variations into one set, and an RM provides a Bezerker Wolverine option, sans mask. But I actually think the choice was backwards. Yellow/Blue was Wolverine with his Secret ID shrouded in mystery while Brown/Orange became synonymous with Logan as Wolverine due to the mini-series.

I know this reads as an incredible fanboy nitpick, but continuity of character/Mego production style provides uniformity that places everything in a museum/retrospective context. And again, I'm still buying because the work is fantastic.

Comment

• jayraytee
              Career Member
              • May 27, 2011

I am not a fan of the wolverine set, won't buy it. Too much non-Mego style stuff on it. But to me, beyond the fact that removable mask figures are usually lame, it seems reduntant to have a removable mask figure and an alter-ego figure in the same package. I probably would have bought the set if it had a Logan with no mask and then a yellow suit wolverine and a brown suit wolverine both done in the style of the brown suit one. I mean if you can pop heads on and off, the Logan head would work for a suited unmasked Wolverine. I would prefer that to a big awkward looking rubber mask pulled over an unmasked head. The only reason removable mask Batman works as a collector figure is for the nostalgia of it, not because it looks cool.
              My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Teemu
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by DSTZach
                Oh, we are not stopping. Lots of new stuff in the works.
                sounds great,but excitement a bit lost for me on these

Comment

• wise guy
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 29, 2014

If you ever get to Daredevil please do classic red Daredevil (painted head) / yellow first appearnce DD (painted head) /Matt Murdock (head with black glasees)
                  this would be a winner . But please avoid the ( What would Mego have done removable cowl version ) Most removable cowls don't work
                  that is why Mego changed Batman & Robin to painted heads when they wen't to t-2 bodies

Comment

• powersthatbe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 27, 2010

DSTZach,how are sales for the first spidey set going,are they meeting expectations?I mentioned daredevil before,but hawkeye would be another nice set to do in my opinion,even though i'm not a fan of the modern,sunglasses look.i can see it being done along with a clint barton and classic look.

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

Good to see that DST addressed the packaging issues so promptly. I think this is a good option moving forward (and as I've mentioned, is also a nice nod to the first super hero action figure, Captain Action).

Cap still looks very good in all three forms; I'd say he's the best of the bunch we've seen thus far. The head sculpts are excellent, like the best of Mego.

Wolverine hasn't improved since the prototype we saw; the badly oversized boots and gloves still look like they came off a Famous Covers figure. And I have to agree, the head for the brown costume looks like what we would have seen from Mego, and should have been paired with the yellow costume. If I do get this one, I will be painting the orange part yellow and using it that way. The Byrne era head has improved from the early looks, but the modern head still looks too stylized somehow. Just a lot of problems with the set from the get-go that didn't improve as it got to production. Thankfully, Logan looks to be a blip, because the Thor set looks really good so far.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

I think Wolverine's gloves were smaller with the prototype. The final ones are part way up the bicep. The prototype at least had the elbow joint showing.

Comment

• DSTZach
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Mar 1, 2012

Sorry some of you guys don't like the removable mask. Predicting what Mego would or would not have done is fun, but I believe we really wanted to play up the fun and attitude of Megos, not necessarily the artistry or historical accuracy (at least, not on the Wolvie figure, where we had the freedom to play around). Joe of EMCE explains all of their design choices in the set in the booklet that comes with Wolverine.

Regardless, I think some nice, posed shots of Logan and the brown costume (coming soon) will allow you to forgive any perceived shortcomings.

Spidey is almost sold out, and will probably go completely once these two sets hit.
                          Last edited by DSTZach; Mar 10, '15, 3:25 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• ubermanx
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 3, 2013

Really like the brown suit Wolverine!

I might have to get a set. Thanks for the video, it really helps.

- Marty

Comment

• Etrigan
                              • Dec 13, 2014

I think they all look great. Finally got my Spidey set and is fantastic. Although I notice it came with 2 right hand fists.
                              Last edited by Etrigan; Apr 3, '15, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎