Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dannybbb
    • Dec 11, 2014

Name of early 90s monster series?

Hi, I have a very tough question for you. I am desperately searching for a monster toy series, dated end 80s/early 90s, misteriously disappeared from the internet.
    Honestly I live in Italy, so the commercial was in 1990/1991 and I can't tell you if an american commercial ever existed and when it was on tv, but if the series was from a famous brand I am sure that you have already seen it.

We are talking about a series of monster toys that can spit liquids or some kind of modeling compound, depending on the specific monster, every model was well designed.

I had a hybrid monster/robot: once the legs were removed, the modeling compound can be inserted inside its body. When the legs are re-inserted and pulled, the modeling compound is emitted from its mouth and maybe also from its eyes, in a tongue-like shape or circular shape.
    Trying to remember, this toy had: a round white and grey body, straight grey legs and arms modelled like a screw thread (or spiral, if you prefer), red feet and hands, green and red head.

An other model from the same series was like a black round monster with the ability to spit a coloured liquid when squeezed: I just remember it from the commercial, I can easily be wrong.

I know that toys involving slime or liquids were very popular in that period but, if someone knows anything, I am sure that it can be helpful. Thank you very much.
  • Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

Video commercial showcasing the innovative product and creative development from PANGEA, for the Steven Spielberg animated series, "Toonsylvania."

Toonsylvania?

Comment

• dannybbb
      • Dec 11, 2014

Hi, that was close: the monsters are detailed and there is slime, unfortunately this is not what I was searching.

I can read that Toonsylvania is from 1998, we must go 10 years earlier.
      Thank you anyway, in the meanwhile I can use the result to search for similar toys.

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

taking a long shot here but it wasn't the Creepy Crawlers short lived action figures line was it?

"What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• dannybbb
          • Dec 11, 2014

Hi, thank you very much for trying but the previous attempt was closer: in this second case the slime seems to remain just inside the bodies, the toys I remember were dirtier/messier and more robust looking, like in the first case, these second ones are definitely more athletic.
          Moreover, I am 100% sure that the commercial was from the early 90s at maximum, in 1994 I was a little more grown up, my interests moved to videogames.
          The single monster I had didn't even work with slime, it had a strange blue putty, weird smelling.

As a further clue I must say that the collection wasn't based on a cartoon series, as far as I know.

Th

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Oozers?
            In digging stuff up for the Canadian Toy Con (http://www.burlingtontoyshow.com/)in September, I found this in my garage. Lord knows how long it's been there but I can see kind of why I bought it. Irwin was a Canadian firm and this is from Woolco, I barely remember these. It's a take on the ooze it figure from the early
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• dannybbb
              • Dec 11, 2014

Hi, during my searches I had already encountered oozers, but they are too much human-like and stereotyped (dracula, grim reaper etc.), those I remember were more original.

What I didn't know was the stretch screaming oozers: I had to double-check them, because they look very similar to what I remember, at least from a visual point of view.
              But, again, they are not what I am searching for: their size is twice the one I had and they are a little bit scarier, while mine had brighter colours, more cartoonish (a half way with toonsylvania and this). In addition, there was no stretching capability in the whole series.
              Thank you anyway, it's not easy at all and I can't find more clues to give you.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 28, 2013

I love these kind of threads. I spent a while searching yesterday and came across some excellent info on X-Changers (not thread related) and Master of the Universe bootlegs or offshoots. I was shocked at all the variations. The Oozers are very cool as well!

Comment

• dannybbb
                  • Dec 11, 2014

I'm glad that someone is ok with this thread, because for me is a little bit different...
                  I think it was a few years ago that I decided to find this damn monster toy: there is no trace left of any commercial and, most of all, no result from the 100 combinations of words I tried to search. I know that it has to be somewhere.

Sometimes I tried again, carefully scrolling every possible image, this time I decided to write on forums and to donate my frustration to other people.

Comment

• dannybbb
                    • Dec 11, 2014

I had a lucky score with the toy brand name. Many traces of this toy are still on the internet, I can't believe it took me so long to find it.

This picture shows 5 of the 6 monsters, all except the one I described on the first post (btw, it can be seen on the cardboard background, it's the central character, very close description), but I can officially say that this long search is finally over.
                    The black round monster that I previously mentioned is actually blue...

The brand is Italian, so I don't think that you have ever seen this monster series before. If not, let me know if you remember the US toy name, it would be nice to see if there is a commercial available. Thank you.
                    Last edited by dannybbb; Dec 25, '14, 3:19 PM.

Comment

• dannybbb
                      • Dec 11, 2014

My last post in this thread: I have found the American commercial!

At 0:13 you can see the monster I described in the first post.

Comment

• mazinz
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by dannybbb
                        I had a lucky score with the toy brand name. Many traces of this toy are still on the internet, I can't believe it took me so long to find it.

This picture shows 5 of the 6 monsters, all except the one I described on the first post (btw, it can be seen on the cardboard background, it's the central character, very close description), but I can officially say that this long search is finally over.
                        The black round monster that I previously mentioned is actually blue...

The brand is Italian, so I don't think that you have ever seen this monster series before. If not, let me know if you remember the US toy name, it would be nice to see if there is a commercial available. Thank you.

Congratulations on finding them!! Even with a US release I still never heard of these or ever saw that commercial
                        "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎