Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

One person conjectured to me that the "retro" is used as a way to surpass likeness issues in the same manner their POP vinyl figures work. It works better with non humanoid characters than I guess it does with people.

Regardless, I've been sort of lucky that the one license that I cared (Uni Monsters) about was well done.

However, if they make a Captain Kirk that doesn't look like William Shatner, I fail to see the point. I'd rather paint the classic uniform on a Mego TMP figure.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^Agreed. If TOS doesn't have likenesses, I'm out.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Marty/Doc look just as "off" as George/Biff---I bought the 1st 2, didn't buy the 2nd----why---because they DO look good in the way that many retro figures did back then (Funko's argument)---but the reason Doc/Marty look good ain't because of the likenesses... it's because of the OTHER stuff that makes 'em iconic.

I take these on a figure by figure basis.

but, DANG to buy, or not to buy aside---their license range and release rate are impressive. The Nightmare Before Xmas figures are a HOME RUN hands down... wonder if/when they got a 2nd wave in store for that license.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          like Back to the Future without the Delorean.
          There's a LOT of good in-scale Deloreans out there.

Indeed, I'm LOVING my Doc/Marty/car set-up.---but, it seems it doesn't matter much as far as the Jaws analogy, as they are actually releasing a shark, apparently.

Their JAWS shark better be cool looking and the cheapest possible, because there's scads of plastic/rubber sharks out there that can be acquired for nothing.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by huedell
            Their JAWS shark better be cool looking and the cheapest possible, because there's scads of plastic/rubber sharks out there that can be acquired for nothing.
            Annnd.... too late.

Getting THIS scale shark set at TOYS R US yesterday, for, like, ten bucks, and WITH a shark cage, AND action figure (with a pretty Hooper-y mask on to swap a Funko Hooper figure's head with eventually), AND with "boat junk" (including a very Jaws-y oxygen tank), I can't imagine I'd ever be interested in what FUNKO will have as their "Bruce" shark figure.

20141222_164927.jpg

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

And here's your DeLorean---now, granted, this isn't selling in Toys R Us, and, yea, this isn't a $30 car---it might cost ya about $55 on Ebay. But, yeah, it's a good scale ride for your ReAction figs, just as the shark above is a good shark for 'em

20141222_165948.jpg

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

doesn't looks like you can shut the doors on that out of scale car with figures in it, especially Doc Brown. My point was there was no car made specifically for the line, not some shoehorned in Hot Wheels or whatever. Its like the Diamond attempt at a Knight Rider figure without KITT.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  doesn't looks like you can shut the doors on that out of scale car with figures in it, especially Doc Brown. My point was there was no car made specifically for the line, not some shoehorned in Hot Wheels or whatever. Its like the Diamond attempt at a Knight Rider figure without KITT.
                  I know what your point WAS---I just don't see the big deal in buying a DeLorean elsewhere. Besides, that comment was directed at many who have pondered the scenario here, so I was showing them as well.

As far as the car pictured being out of scale? I'm pretty sure you're incorrect on that assumption. Granted, it's a bad shot where the Dopc Brown figure was wedged in and is posed in a way that makes it look out of scale. If Doc's legs bent at the knees, he would've gone fully in, and you wouldn't be so quick to call the two items "out of scale"---likely because they AREN'T out of scale---EDITED ADDITIONAL NOTE: The more I look at it, I think you are correct, and they ARE out of scale. It's confusing though, because I originally thought that, if anything, the figures were too big for the car---but, now I'm thinking that the car is just a bit too big for the figures.... yet the figures do maneuver poorly once IN the car...and, that's because their legs have no knee joint for any give in positioning them.
                  Bottom line is: if the car and figs ARE out of scale, the two are so close, that I haven't be able to tell until close inspection months after just throwing the display together a while back.

You want a good car to display your BTTF figures with---there it is---get a good priced one on EBay....

And if you want it to look even better---BREAK your ReAction figures at the knee, so they can actually be posed comfortably actually IN the car

Posing the figures OUTSIDE the car with doors open---it's a more dramatic display to me... and I prefer that---but, here I shot a quick pic of them inside the car---just for reference.

a20141223_074039.jpg
                  Last edited by huedell; Dec 23, '14, 3:06 PM. Reason: Added crappy pic of figures in car/scale observance

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by huedell
                    Annnd.... too late.

Getting THIS scale shark set at TOYS R US yesterday, for, like, ten bucks, and WITH a shark cage, AND action figure (with a pretty Hooper-y mask on to swap a Funko Hooper figure's head with eventually), AND with "boat junk" (including a very Jaws-y oxygen tank), I can't imagine I'd ever be interested in what FUNKO will have as their "Bruce" shark figure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13604[/ATTACH]
                    That shark playset looks great....
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                      That shark playset looks great....
                      In EVERY way...AND you can get it at TOYS R US for dirt cheap I also forgot to mention that it comes with a second shark... I guess, it's a baby shark.

Here it is on their site:
                      Toys”R”Us is the leading kids store for all toys, video games, dolls, action figures, learning games, building blocks and more. C'mon, Let's Play!

It says "11.99" , but I got two for, like, $18 bucks because of some kind of "buy one, get one half off" sale
                      Here's just the shark (but it may be a different scale than the one above):
                      Toys”R”Us is the leading kids store for all toys, video games, dolls, action figures, learning games, building blocks and more. C'mon, Let's Play!

It's a dollar more than the one that isn't billed as being made from "foam" ---and it doesn't come with any accessories---but, hey, it may be worth checking out.
                      Bottom line: These sharks look very "Jaws-y"---and are dirt cheap---- AND the first one is made to be in scale with 3 and 3/4th figures, as is evidenced by the diver that comes with the set

Comment

• raycastile
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Sep 11, 2004

That TRU shark looks nothing like Bruce. I want a bonafide BRUCE toy. A generic gorilla is not King Kong. A generic shark is not Bruce from Jaws.

Comment

• bgiles73
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 14, 2010

Wow, Funko had a whole lot of Reaction reveals! 2015 is going to be an expensive year :

1) A-Team
                          2) Aliens (featuring Alien Queen!)
                          3) Big Lebowski
                          4) Big Trouble in Little China
                          5) Boondock Saints
                          6) Breaking Bad
                          7) Dark Crystal
                          8) E.T.
                          9) Fast Times at Ridgemont High
                          10) Fifth Element
                          11) Fight Club
                          12) Gremlins
                          13) JAWS
                          14) Munsters
                          15) Rocky Horror Picture Show
                          16) Scarface
                          17) Star Trek Classic (2 waves)
                          18) Star Trek: The Next Generation
                          19) Terminator 2
                          20) Tomorrowland
                          21) V for Vendetta

Comment

• raycastile
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Sep 11, 2004

I haven't bought any of these ReAction toys yet. I might buy the Unimonsters eventually, maybe some of the modern horror characters. Or not. They don't really thrill me. But news of a JAWS line does perk me up. I really hope the Jaws figures are what I hoped for since childhood. Brody, Quint, Hooper and Bruce the shark, all looking like the characters. I really wish they'd make an Orca playset. That Todd McFarlane contraption was a big disappointment. Show Todd McFarlane how it's done, Funko.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

I just don't get choices like Breaking Bad, Boondock Saints and Fight Club. For a supposed retro line there looks to be no rhyme or reason to their license choices, to me. It's like they are throwing darts at a board with random names of licenses. I have zero interest in stuff like Back to the Future or Goonies. But they totally make sense. But Fight Club? Seriously? Gotta shake my head at stuff like that.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Alright, lets see...

Definite interest in Big Lebowski, Big Trouble in Little China, Breaking Bad (because I need Better Call Saul), Fight Club, JAWS (but only the mayor with his anchor jacket), Munsters, and Rocky Horror. They have stated they will be more detailed so the better they look, the more likely I'm going to pick them up. Having said that, BTLC and Fight Club are must buys.

I doubt I'll actually buy all of them, but I love the choices.

I for one am glad they aren't limiting themselves to what would be expected of them. I love the wrongness of Kenner style Fight Club and Rocky Horror.
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎