Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is Hot toys dying out? anyone get any good deals on them lately?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

is Hot toys dying out? anyone get any good deals on them lately?

I noticed some of these last ones from a year or so have gone down in prices online...It's not like Sideshow to drop the price on so many for black friday.. i honestly haven't bought one since the 66 Batman last year..But I got some good deals and I caved...I got the Barney Ross for $129, the Latest Superman for $129, the 66 Robin for $128 and the Wolverine for $150 ..all free shipping..I saved around 40% on each and I'll be getting rewards cash back so in reality the cost will be around $100 a piece..

I still love these but I have a bad feeling that they'll start dropping soon..I hope not, but the high prices and the economy the way it is could spell disaster..what do you guys think?
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook
  • warlock664
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 15, 2009

I think the market for these has softened a good bit, I'm still collecting but it seems a lot of peripheral collectors are tapping out. I have picked up Jor-el, Zod, and dupes of the '66 Batman & Robin for great prices from Sideshow. Wish I'd anticipated the discounts and resisted picking most of these up at full price when they were released.

Comment

• torgospizza
      Theocrat of Pan Tang
      • Aug 19, 2010

I think Hot Toys will keep doing okay, since they're setting the standard; however, Sideshow will wind up losing some fans with how crazy their prices are getting. What I think is great is how other companies are trying to compete with HT quality-wise (I'm thinking of Art Figures' Dredd, f.ex.), but keeping the prices about half of what HT expects. The prices are getting crazy for HT and SS figures, so a lot of us have to really pick and choose what we're getting, but other options (like Kaustic Plastik's "Fantasy Warrior" kit [seen here and the expansion kit here]) are a nice alternative for a lot of us.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

I think a lot of it has to do with the licenses getting stale...I mean there are 30 different Iron Man figures for crying out loud. Try doing something original with the Marvel license. How about instead of Iron Man #31 give us a Lou Ferrigno Incredible Hulk, or a Spider-Man 2 Doc Ock.
        Instead of a seventh Heath Ledger Joker how about Cesar Romero?

Comment

• torgospizza
          Theocrat of Pan Tang
          • Aug 19, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Cesar Romero, since they said they're going to make more Batman '66 figures (fingers crossed for a Batgirl), but I doubt if we'll ever get a Ferrigno Hulk. HT is really Asia-based in their tastes to the degree we'll probably never see a Conan (this is me guessing based on interviews I've read w/ Howard Chan), unless Arnold makes that rumored King Conan film. I don't think HT gets our culture--they know and love Johnny Depp, so we get a Tonto, but no Lone Ranger. Well, who's buying a stand-alone Tonto?

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

^You're absolutely right. Hence the 30 different Iron Mans. Yeah, Japan likes robots. We get it.

The one HT license I'm still hoping for is Universal Monsters.

Comment

• torgospizza
              Theocrat of Pan Tang
              • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by enyawd72
              The one HT license I'm still hoping for is Universal Monsters.
              I don't even want to daydream about that, because I think they're oblivious to it. It would be a huge money-maker for them (I'd buy three or four figures, at the very least, myself), but I don't know how familiar they are with the characters or realize how iconic they are in the West. It's pure speculation on my part, but if we'd ever get anything from HT, it would be the Universal reboot versions of the characters we have on the way. Having said all this, I really, really hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

I had given up on Hot Toys and Sideshows, but the steep discounts almost drew me back in. I resisted, but the discounts made the figures very tempting. Zod was calling my name, lol.

It's also going to be difficult to pass up Han and Chewbacca next year.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

Is the HT output also going down?
                  Seems like they're not releasing that much stuff anymore (and if they do, with delays), and some figures that were announced (like X-Men First Class) never got made?
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I was slightly sickened to see the 66 Batman and Robin marked down, since I already have them.

I think greed may have slightly deflated their bubble for them.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

If HT and Sideshow hadn't gone for the deepest recesses of our wallets, I think it would have been a different story.
                      I just got a handful (which I traded), and then stopped completely, and I think I'm not alone.
                      I almost caved in for Batman 66, but the fragile quality of the suit, and the price (for a guy in tights) again stopped me.

The only one that I pre-ordered was Sideshow Snake. Still really overpriced, but I love this character.

I think the reason that prices are going down a bit, is that collectors are saying "no thanks" for the first time. For a lot of people, when you can't "collect 'm all", they sign off and leave.
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• clemso
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 8, 2001

HT are getting way too expensive from new. The Marvel movie figures will still do well and i think Avengers AOU Hulk buster, Vision and Ultron will be a must. Thanos and Ronan from GOTG would be cool. I can't see it failing. Some of the quality of the sculpts is a bit hit and miss though. Got Elder Pred 2.0 from a collector the other day, the detail was just crazy. Will still pick up the odd few up if i can afford it but yeah, not going crazy like i did last year.

Comment

• jayraytee
                          Career Member
                          • May 27, 2011

I used to buy Sideshow star wars figures and civil war figures when they first were making them, correct me if I am wrong, weren't they more like $50 each back then? Or less?
                          Now they are like what? $200 each or something? I sold off what I had and quit buying the new ones. I can't follow a line at that price, not even partially.
                          My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Hot Toys and Sideshow have effectively achieved Shock and Awe, but at the expense of sacrificing the Fun of collecting. They are amazing to behold, true. But it is impossible to feel good about yourself after dropping $250 on a doll.

I'm watching them attack the wallets with their Star Wars license, and though it pains me, I'll walk on past and take my seat back in coach, thank you.

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 15, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
                              Hot Toys and Sideshow have effectively achieved Shock and Awe, but at the expense of sacrificing the Fun of collecting. They are amazing to behold, true. But it is impossible to feel good about yourself after dropping $250 on a doll.

I'm watching them attack the wallets with their Star Wars license, and though it pains me, I'll walk on past and take my seat back in coach, thank you.
                              You have summed up exactly how I feel. I dropped over $3k with Sideshow/Hot Toys this year on Batmerch, and I AM DONE.

If SS/HT have alienated me, imagine how many casual collectors have dipped.
                              sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎