Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is FTC starting to skimp a little on the '66 outfits?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Is FTC starting to skimp a little on the '66 outfits?

I just picked up series 2 yesterday and noticed whereas the series 1 Joker had a full shirt, vest, jacket, and even socks, Egghead has a sleeveless shirt with faux sleeves and they skipped his vest and socks entirely.

No socks on Penguin either.

The figures still look good...just making an observation. I do wish they all had socks though.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

the sleeveless shirt was lame (not to mention the tie that doesn't sit right), but in their defense, Egghead didn't have a vest. Penguin's shoes make him taller, wish they would have made him a bit shorter.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      Egghead didn't have a vest.
      Oh but he does...I just watched the episode, BUT they may not have known since the costume was done before the Blu-rays came out.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I was looking at stills and could find no evidence of a vest, I'll have to watch a show again. FTC was probably using the same stills.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

watched it and I can see the vest, but barely. It looks like its cut wide like the coat so its not all that visible. So if all they were going by were fuzzy bootlegs or pics off of google I could see it getting missed.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

I think Joker was always going to get the A-list treatment since both him and Batman would essentially be the flagship of the series. But the Penguin is, I think, one of their best achievements. The care they took to sculpt him and make it so the cigarette extender seats securely in his mouth; The eye spec which is perfectly seated into the face sculpt; The hat which is not plastic, but a pliable vinyl which permits it seat snug on his head; And the outfit and shoes look gorgeous. I think they're absolutely putting their hearts into this series because they're long time fans like us. For sure, the variants are milking the license, but they're simply there if you want them. The heart of the license are those main line characters and I doubt FTC is going to willfully take shortcuts at this stage when the license is selling so well. I don't see the business advantage to kill the golden goose by getting cheap on the production and having that invade sales through word of mouth. My thoughts.

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

I like the outfits a lot! The sleeveless shirts underneath allows better movement just like Mego used to do. Too many layers make for figures who can't lift their arm. I like my mego's to be able to pop someone in the mouth, not scratch their knees. LOL
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• megomania
                Persistent Member
                • Jan 2, 2010

What say you Mickey?????

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

I feel I should clarify...I think the Penguin and Egghead both look fantastic. It's just like Tom said...they went the extra mile with the Joker, so I guess it just makes any other figures shortcomings stand out. I still think all the figures should get socks, if for no other reason than consistency, but it's not that big of a deal. I can always buy some.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

I made socks for my TV style Two Face to stay in line with the Joker. Guessing Egghead would need yellow? I'm trying to figure out an easy way to shorten Pengy.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I like the sleeveless shirts, too, for the reasons BrownBear stated.

"Yes" to Egghead's slim double-breasted vest; I can see why it was omitted considering its style. On the show, Price wore black socks & shoes, but I always thought he should have white shoes & yellow sock, T-Bolt. Simple to tweak, IMO.

Regarding Penguin, it's fairly off-model: No striped charcoal pants, no one-piece fuzzy vest/shirt-front. Still, it's a handsome figure; the coat construction is excellent. I think FTC wisely chose the painted shoes because doing nice 1/9 scale spats would have been difficult & expensive in mass-production.

I agree that some of these details are not notable in standard stills & screen captures.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• scott metzger
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 9, 2007

THe full costume from top to bottom on Joker was nice, but I agree the sleeveless shirts underneath the jackets work much better. It was hard to get the Joker's arms to move well without having to twist the sleeves around by hand as you pulled the arm up. A jacket with just a false cuff, if done well, can look just as good and avoid bulking up the figure too much.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Interestingly, Buzz is wearing a black cutaway coat with false cuffs in the show. The fuzzy vest/shirt-front is padded, with the collar & bow-tie attached. I assume this was done to make the costume cooler/more manageable. .

He also quit wearing a wig as soon as he could grow out & dye his hair.

I can tell you from personal experience that a proper tux, with a hat on & padding, is pretty hot--a wig and the lighting on the set would only make it worse.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎