X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wayne foundation 07
    Time to feed the cat
    • Dec 30, 2007

Mego memories from here?

As a child do you have mego memories of Woolworth's ?We were in Cuyahoga Falls a couple weekends ago and saw this on the sidewalk, the store is now an electric supply house, but the sign on the sidewalk brought back a memory of a Mego Joker that came from one.

• jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

that is so cool and a little sad that its gone

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

I didn't go to Woolworth's until about 1980/81. By then,there wasn't much Mego left. I do remember seeing the bible knock off figures there.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Boy do I miss Woolworth's...my parents used to take us there and we'd usually get to pick out a cheap toy, or my favorite...those old Marvel multi-comic bags...then we'd hit the soda fountain for an old fashioned milkshake in those giant stainless steel mixers. You could refill your cup three times with one milkshake!

Comment

• Grimjohn
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 28, 2011

Yes, every Saturday my grandma would take me to Woolworth's, we would start by having lunch in their cafeteria, grandma would get their turkey club and I usually had their grilled cheese with Ruffles and a pickle spear on the side and I would wash it down with a Coke because they had the cool Coca-Cola glasses. After we ate she would take me down their massive candy aisle where I would stock up on a week's supply of Now & Laters, Hubba Bubba (or Bubble Yum, depending which brand had a new flavor I wanted to try), Sweet Tarts, Razzies, M&M's and Nerds. Then, she would take me down the toy aisle where I got to pick "one thing" which was either a Mego or Mego knock off figure, a Hot Wheels or Matchbox car, or a Star Wars figure (after '77).
          Last edited by Grimjohn; Nov 27, '14, 5:57 AM. Reason: Grammar fix
          My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

We had Woolworths here in Nova Scotia too when I was a kid. We always called it The Met.

I got my Boba Fett action figure from there and also learned a very valuable lesson from my Mom after shoftlifting a toy when I was small. LOL
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

I have memories of Woolworth, but none involving Megos. That sign is pretty cool, and it's sad it doesn't have a store to grace anymore. And for thos of you who remember the lunch counter, here's an old menu, though I'm not sure what year it's from.

Woolworth lunch counter.JPG
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                Time to feed the cat
                • Dec 30, 2007

Love that menu ! Super Jumbo banana split for .39 cents !!!!!

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Weirdly none, by the time I could take the bus to downtown, Woolworths was jammed with He-Man knock offs and unsold Pink Panther fotonovels.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Red Hulk
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 19, 2012

The one in the old Plaza Mall here in Lebanon had Mego figures back in the day.I remember getting Shazam there.

Comment

• skid14
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 23, 2011

i can only remember getting Megos from K-Mart for some reason. can vividly remember how the isle looked............

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

I remember a Woolworths in downtown Boston, would go there every Saturday with my Mother and
                        Grandmother, then take the subway home and right around the corner was a shopping mall which
                        had Kresges, which also had a cafeteria, and in the next town over they had a place called Childworld
                        in the town center square, so If I could'nt find a mego at one place, one of the others surely had it, I mostly
                        always looked for Star Trek megos, but I remember only SS Kresges had the AHI monsters, which I collected
                        as well. Sadly all these places are gone now.

Comment

• Mego Marauder
                          • Dec 9, 2014

Oh yes. My grandma used to take me to woolworths all the time. We also had an old Kresges with wooden floors.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎