Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remco Mini Monster Dracula cloth cape variant? Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdicebuddha
    • Sep 20, 2012

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving, everybody. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• bigdicebuddha
      • Sep 20, 2012

Okay, got the figure in the mail today. Here are some detailed pics. No obvious sign of a re-seal. Waffling pattern from the heat press throughout. There were two areas in the initial pics that looked funny to me, but those are actual creases in the card and are on both sides of the card, meaning, it doesn't appear to be a surface rip or seperation on the front of the card. Any and all thoughts welcome on these:

This is the area I was talking about that was a stress mark on both sides:

Last edited by bigdicebuddha; Nov 30, '14, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• jayraytee
        Career Member
        • May 27, 2011

Pretty weird. I am not even close to an expert on this stuff, but that heat press waffling does go all the way around the bubble. The way the card looks on the edges of the bibble in the black sections... it looks like the bubble has been on the card for a long time. In the 3rd pick down and also on the 4th along the edge of the bubble, what is that brown blotch? On the 3rd picture its right in the middle at the bottom.

The cape reminds me of a 1989 ToyBiz Batman Michael Keaton Movie Action Figure cape.
        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• bigdicebuddha
          • Sep 20, 2012

Thanks for the response. The "blotch" is a stress in the card that broke the color/black of the card. There are spider veins along the back of the card that match that bend on the edge of the bubble.

I have a Super Powers Batman and a Toy Biz Batman for comparison, and those two capes are longer than this one.

Comment

• jayraytee
            Career Member
            • May 27, 2011

Yeah I figured the toybiz keaton cape would be too long too, the style is a lot alike. It's pretty weird.

Comment

• jayraytee
              Career Member
              • May 27, 2011

It looks similar, can't really judge the length.

ToyBizBatman1989_3.jpg

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by jayraytee
                The cape reminds me of a 1989 ToyBiz Batman Michael Keaton Movie Action Figure cape.
                Yeah, to me it looks just like the Kenner first series Dark Knight cape. I don't own one anymore, but that's the material.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• bigdicebuddha
                  • Sep 20, 2012

As I mentioned in my threadstart, there is a thread over at Rebel Scum on a similar, or the same, figure from back in 2007. So at least one person has seen this version other than me. I've posted on that thread with pictures, and there is a guy there that says he remembers a cloth Dracula from a liquidation back in '82ish, and that he believes it to be legit.

I've also posted a new thread in their scammer section, with links to all the pics I've taken. There seem to be some guys over there that are good at spotting re-seals, so I guess I'll see what they say.

As palitoy mentioned, it's a great conversation piece either way, but it sure would be cool to know that there was a real, actual, variation out there to pursue, wouldn't it?
                  Last edited by bigdicebuddha; Nov 29, '14, 2:33 PM.

Comment

• bigdicebuddha
                    • Sep 20, 2012

Originally posted by jayraytee
                    It looks similar, can't really judge the length.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13426[/ATTACH]
                    It does look similar to that. And that cape in that pic looks shorter than my Toy Biz one.

Comment

• jayraytee
                      Career Member
                      • May 27, 2011

Yeah. The bubble would convince me that it wasn't a reseal, but I am no expert. I think thats what I find so weird about it. If I went just by the cape, I would think it's a reseal with a Batman cape, but then when I look at the bubble and the card I would think it's legit. To me it doesn't look glued.

Comment

• RickD
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 31, 2011

Usually the waffle pattern is sporadic where you can easily tell that it is not a reseal . The cape looks to big to be around his neck. I'm positive Remco Dracula never came with a cloth cape.

I would lean more towards a reseal on this one, but I am hoping I am wrong.

Here is mine with the waffle pattern

Comment

• jayraytee
                          Career Member
                          • May 27, 2011

Do all sealed ones look like that on the edge or is there a wide level of variation on how well the heat press worked? More just being curious.

Comment

• bigdicebuddha
                            • Sep 20, 2012

I took a close up pic that shows a few of those air type pockets, bottom right of the bubble, and there's one tiny one by Drac's top right shoulder, but that's it:

Comment

• RickD
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 31, 2011

Here is some more waffle pattern angles from other figures. Please don't ever think I'm trying to discredit what you are saying or prove I am right. Just trying to help.

Comment

• bigdicebuddha
                                • Sep 20, 2012

Were there any capes that used the "hook" around the neck design prior to Super Powers in '84? I can't remember any.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎