Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I called FTC and asked about the oversized heads...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • invisiblelad
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 6, 2014

Originally posted by madmarva
    Maybe I'm becoming a Negative Nellie, but I hope you are right and I am absolutely wrong. Right now, it's hard from me to have confidence. And, yes, it is terribly hard to understand why it's not an issue with 66 Batman. I do think those heads are large, but it is minimal compared to WGH and Battle Star Galactica and $6 Million Dollar Man figures
    Look at the Emerald City website pics of their massive FTC display & you'll see what I see;

FTC's BATMAN 1966 Heads are ALL TOO BIG! But I think that's exactly why it works, they are a different line w/ a different aesthetic/feel to it, & have NO awesomely scaled & perfectly nostalgic Mego's to repro & add NEW cohesive figures to. They ALFRED, Comm. Gordon & I suspect Ra's Al Ghul (@ the very least) all fit in much better scale wise w/ FTC's Batman 1966 line. I wanted to add these characters to their intended place, alongside FTC's/Mego's WGH/WGSH figures. They do NOT fit well at all, /not even close IMHO. If you look at the EMERALD City pics that are linked to their website here at the megomuseum, you'll click on the x2 images to super magnify them & you'll see the FTC WGH Batman & Bruce Wayne 2-pack hanging on th peg next to FTC Batman 66 Batman (Pink Cowl), 66 Bruce & 66 Dick. Wen you see them side-by-side you'll clearly see the HUGE difference in head scale/size. It just doesn't seem like the 1966 heads are that BIG when they are amongst each other, but next to the FTC WGH figures, you see that they are HUGE! So other than Korak & Jane, FTC's NEW characters in WGH & Batman 66 ALL have BIG Heads that are way out of the majority of Mego's 8" offerings. Now as for the FTC Dukes figures, I have not seen them in person & therefore do not know if they are Mego scaled or FTC 1966 (+Alfred, Gordon, Ras, Jayna) scaled. Just think they should NOT release another BIG oversized head in their DC WGH line, or any other non-Batman 1966 line as well.

*FTC, STOP the presses! Do NOT release any NEW figures w/ these admittedly oversized & out of scale heads! Castaway/Zica halted the release of their Action Jackson line due to this, even though thousands of $$$ had been already spent by customers through their kickstarter campaign. Now that is putting quality over quantity!

Comment

• invisiblelad
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 6, 2014

*Brown Bear, Thank You So Very Much for reaching out to Anthony for all of us concerned! I actually feel MUCH better knowing that the boss man himself says they are working to resolve this issue & it will show in future FTC releases! That brings me some peace of mind, & for that I sincerely Thank You!

Comment

• Dayton43
        • Jan 4, 2014

I totally get why people are upset with out of scale heads, but isn't it a good thing that at least there's the choice for people to purchase(or not to purchase) these figures? To suspend production would take away (for me and I assume others as well) all the excitement of seeing what's coming next? When I was a kid in the 70's I always wanted a Hawkman Mego and in 2014 to be this close to getting one is pretty cool IMO. I appreciate people's passion on this issue, but I appreciate the option to be able to buy these figures more. No offense to anyone here.
        Last edited by Dayton43; Nov 21, '14, 10:41 PM. Reason: forgot to erase existing post.oops

Comment

• Krypt0nite
          Radioactive!
          • Feb 13, 2010

Hi Dayton43

Welcome to the board! Hawkman was always one of my most wanted as well---I really hope that FTC knocks him out of the park! I wouldn't want FTC to end, but if waiting a little bit longer leads to better figures, I'm all for that!

Comment

• Dayton43
            • Jan 4, 2014

Thanks KryptOnite. Yeah been waiting on that Hawkman for about 35 years, so I'm hopeful they nail it!

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Invisible Lad:

not much of a difference at all between Bats and this WGSH poster child.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                Invisible Lad:

not much of a difference at all between Bats and this WGSH poster child.
                Wait, so now the Batman 66 heads are too large as well?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

according to invisible lad they are, they looks close enough to Mego for me.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

I kinda thought Batman's head was a little too big as well....but your side by side comparison with Mego Spidey proves me wrong.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

I think MadMarva essentially said the same thing. Curious because up till this thread everyone seemed to agree that the Batman 66 heads were fine, as in 'why can they get the Batman 66 heads right, but not the others?'. Now it seems they have become too big as well. Oh well, Korak I guess it's only a matter of time before your noggin is too big as well.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by The Bat
                        I kinda thought Batman's head was a little too big as well....but your side by side comparison with Mego Spidey proves me wrong.
                        And Spidey's head is a smidge too small IMO.

Comment

• madmarva
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jul 7, 2007

The 66 batman heads are close enough, although they are a bit large. From chin to the top of the head, the Batman head is as large as Spiderman from the top of the head to where the neck connects to the shoulders.

If the the new WGH heads were as in-scale as the 66 Batman heads, I probably wouldn't have said a word, and when FTC corrects the issue, I will be among the first to applaud its efforts.

FTC does a lot of things right. I love how the company continues to expand its line of custom parts. The clothing on the 66 line and Alfred are top notch and the sculpts on its new heads have been very good to excellent. FTC has improved the card designs by leaps and bounds over the first two WGH Batman waves. FTC's bodies are no longer brittle.

But big heads, translucent belts and tightly strung bodies are issues the company needs to correct.
                          Last edited by madmarva; Nov 22, '14, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

It's pretty clear what's happened. The first run of new WGH was Alfred and the Conan line. Those are all bald figures before flocking. If you shave a Mego Conan/Thor head, the features are suddenly too small for the amount of facial space, creating a giant forehead/cranium look.

So somebody modeled/cast something based off a bald head. Kull and Kane look to be remodeled off the original Conan, and I think that started the snowball. It can't be a simple factory issue, or else the repro WGSH heads would be huge, too. But they're not. In fact, none of the reproed Mego heads by FTC have been disproportionate for nearly a decade.

So what's the process, Crimson? Farrow makes a mold, then it's casted for roto?

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                              And Spidey's head is a smidge too small IMO.
                              That's how I always felt.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

There's one head here that's consistently too big. Sadly, dunking in acetone is not an option.
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎