X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Star Trek, Star Wars, and age...

I find as I get older, I'm liking Star Trek more and more, and Star Wars less and less. I have no idea why. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

As I've gotten older, I've found I like both of them less. Star Trek evolved into something of a parody of itself so I found that material a little too campy with it's pseudo-social themes thinly trying to cover the more obvious full figured body suits and sexual undertones that ran hand in hand. Star Wars just became a huge toy commercial with about as much thought into the scripts as a commercial. Now the original material? As in the 60's Star Trek and the first Star Wars film? I appreciate both them more for what they were in their day. Major accomplishments and really both examples of thinking outside the conventional box. But their serial heritage since that initial period? Not so much.
    Last edited by MIB41; Nov 20, '14, 3:34 PM.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I'm assuming you're referring to the Original Series? Because some of the Trek spinoffs from the 90s onward were just plain… forgettable.

As for me? Nah. It's all good. I like 'em both for different reasons. I'm a Star Wars fan first, and will be for life. Although I have to admit, I'm uncertain about the future of Star Wars, and hopeful that the train won't be leaving without me with the new films. I actually like the prequels a lot. Less than the Original Trilogy, but I really enjoyed them nevertheless.

Trek is like an old family photo album. I don't look at it every day, but when I do, it's joyous, and I really settle into appreciating them again.

There's lots to enjoy with both.

Ya know, it's funny… I love Star Wars and will defend it passionately online, but I miss the days before the internet, when I would just enjoy Star Wars with my family and friends. Seems like there was less arguing and more enjoying going on.

Comment

• Grimjohn
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 28, 2011

First, I too am a die hard Star Wars fan. I also enjoyed the prequels, I found the parallels between real world politics and the political struggles of the Galactic Republic intriguing. Empire is still the best of the six, imho, but, each of three prequel movies had their own merits. I am cautiously optimistic about the new Star Wars trilogy.

I really wish Lucas wasn't so tyrannical and had the expanded universe material stricken/banned from "official" Star Wars Universe canon. There is a literal ******* ton of fantastic material that could be brought to the Star Wars cinematic universe: The Old Republic, The Darth Bane Trilogy and The Thrawn Trilogy are just a few of the compelling time lines that could keep the Star Wars gravy train rolling. Hopefully, Disney swings a big enough schwartz to someday lift the ban and allow some of that quality material into the "official" SWU canon.

Now, if we're talking the whole Star Trek universe I totally dig The Original Series for the nostalgia in all of its campy goodness, The Next Generation for really expanding upon Roddenberry's vision and giving us great characters like Data, Picard and Q and Deep Space Nine for really delving into more of the political side of the Star Trek Universe. Voyager and the subsequent series just didn't have enough general appeal to keep me interested in following them.

As far as the feature films go I enjoyed Star Trek's 1-6 with Undiscovered Country being my personal favorite, I found the Next Generation films to be pretty solid with "Generations" being the weaker (imho) of them. And, I will admit I got choked up a little when Data sacrificed himself at the end of "Nemesis." I am finding the re-boots to be pretty good, I haven't quite bought Chris Pine as Kirk yet but, I feel the rest of the crew has been cast perfectly (imho).

But. all in all, neither franchise has really lost my interest.
        Last edited by Grimjohn; Nov 20, '14, 7:27 PM.
        My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
          I find as I get older, I'm liking Star Trek more and more, and Star Wars less and less. I have no idea why. Has anyone else experienced this?
          I'm kinda the opposite.

As I get older and older I long for more for some fun sci-fi fantasy rather than pure textbook science fiction.

Guessing that's why I've always been a huge Irwin Allen fan.

I couldn't care less what might really happen 100 years from now --- I'd rather sit back and watch something fun

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

I gave them both up and embraced Pertwee's Doctor as the pinnacle of sci fi action adventure.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

My passion for Star Wars certainly hasn't diminished with age. Still love it now as much as I did when I was a kid.

As for Trek, it took me a little while to get into TOS when I first saw the re-runs as a child... had the Dinky Enterprise and Klingon cruiser... then I saw TMP and liked it, but as soon as I saw The Wrath of Khan at the theatre when it was first released, I was hooked. Still like TOS and the first 3 films the best.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

I've always been more of a Trek fan. Maybe it's b/c I'm a woman, but I prefer more plot and storyline to action and "shoot 'em up" stuff. And I like all Trek (but that's iffy w/ Enterprise and all the Dominion stuff in DS9 and the Kazon stuff on Voyager).
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

I still love it all just as much, but the massive amount of merchandising has taken the magic out of it.
                  I still remember going on family vacation to Wales in 1978 and finding the Kenner Darth Vader. I was the envy of all of my friends. Every find was special back then.
                  And picking up my first issue of Famous Monsters (with R2 on it) and staring at the photos.

I must admit, I'm excited about the new SW. It feels a bit like the old days.
                  And i still enjoy ST, with the exception of Voyager, which was a bore.

I'm also enjoying picking up stuff I'd never seen before, like Lost in Space, early Avengers, and Dr Who pre-Tom Baker.
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

I've been losing interest in classic Trek. I still like it. Just not as passionately as I once did. SW I like as much as ever. I just ignore what I don't like about it. Like the prequels, a lot of the expanded universe stuff and the special editions. I just focus on what I liked about it in the first place. The original unaltered movies and the Kenner toys.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

If I'm ever stranded on an island, three seasons of Classic Trek will suffice to keep me happy...

PS: and something to watch them on....
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

They may have screwed up Star Trek over the years, but not as much as Star Wars!

Comment

• drquest
                          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                          • Apr 17, 2012

Give me classic Trek and classic Star Wars and I'm a happy man.
                          Danny(Drquest)
                          Captain Action HQ
                          Retro shirts and stuff
                          More retro shirts
                          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

as I got older I lost interest in all the Trek spin offs. I still love the original though. the reboots are fun for what they are and I enjoy watching them. Star Wars on the other hand has lost some of it's magic for me. the prequels and the plethora of merchandising really burned things out for me. I do agree each of the prequel movies had some good merits but overall they really are weak. I have high hopes for the new movies but fear seeing beloved characters now as old people and trying to still do the action stuff, may be a bit much to take

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎