Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mickey any word on the packaging for the Aquaman vs Great Whiite Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    • Feb 27, 2014

Mickey any word on the packaging for the Aquaman vs Great Whiite Shark set?

If they copy the original packaging I am in on this. Any word yet?
  • MEGOMAN
    Defender of the Megoverse
    • Dec 30, 2008

Oh man, I really hope that we get a repro box! I just cannot see FTC not making it. Hopefully we will know soon!

Comment

• invisiblelad
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 6, 2014

I'd also love a repro box for this AWESOME Set! But many a wise megomuseum patrons here have stated the legal issues that would probably derail this dream we share! :(

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
        Career Member
        • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by invisiblelad
        I'd also love a repro box for this AWESOME Set! But many a wise megomuseum patrons here have stated the legal issues that would probably derail this dream we share! :(
        I really doubt there is any one left from the Mego co. that would want to pursue any type of copy write infringement lawsuit.
        Lynn

Comment

• jayraytee
          Career Member
          • May 27, 2011

None of the figures have an exact reproduction of the packaging, I can't see why they would do that for anything else. I figure it would be similar to the Mego packaging, but in FTC style like everything else.
          My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• MEGOMAN
            • Dec 30, 2008

The packaging needs to be spot on for this. Lynn TXP 0369 makes a very good point. FTC has got to make the packaging a reproduction. The packaging is a huge part of the nostalgia.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by MEGOMAN
              The packaging needs to be spot on for this. Lynn TXP 0369 makes a very good point. FTC has got to make the packaging a reproduction. The packaging is a huge part of the nostalgia.
              Agreed, the packaging will be a huge part of the appeal. A $60 playset with replica packaging looks like a bargain while the same price point with 'FTC-style' packaging seems like a ripoff.

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

THere are likely licensing concerns involved, as well as a legitimate fear that something too close to the original might be passed off as the original by unscrupulous dealers. I admit, even though I'm a loose collector, seeing something much like the box I saw on a Fields' toy shelf back in the 70's would be a nostalgic rush, I'm on for the set regardless. I haven't minded the approach FTC has taken with the packaging; it's true to the Mego spirit in every way, just not an exact copy.

Comment

• MEGOMAN
                  • Dec 30, 2008

Originally posted by scott metzger
                  THere are likely licensing concerns involved, as well as a legitimate fear that something too close to the original might be passed off as the original by unscrupulous dealers. I admit, even though I'm a loose collector, seeing something much like the box I saw on a Fields' toy shelf back in the 70's would be a nostalgic rush, I'm on for the set regardless. I haven't minded the approach FTC has taken with the packaging; it's true to the Mego spirit in every way, just not an exact copy.
                  I'm sure that if FTC does make it an exact replica they will at least place their logo on the box. So I'm sure that we will not have to worry about dealers trying to pass it off as the real thing. Also, I'm sure that they will also have their logo or name molded into the plastic of the shark. It is true the FTC has made their own unique MEGO styled packaging. Either to not get themselves into trouble or just to have their own unique distinction and not to copy the originals. But as far as the Aquaman vs. Great White Shark goes, they need to really nail this packaging. I feel that they are going to replicate the packaging. They replicated the Monster Castle!!!! I'm sure that they will do the same with the box.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                    Permanent Member
                    • Mar 7, 2011

They have had their Logo on ALL of their Packing to this point. I don't see why they wouldn't put one on a GWS Box

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                      They have had their Logo on ALL of their Packing to this point. I don't see why they wouldn't put one on a GWS Box
                      I'd be fine with that on a replica box. This is the first Re-Mego figure/item that FTC is making that most of us never had, and the package itself is a big part of its desirability.

I'll hold out final judgement till I see the finished product, but 'FTC-style' packaging would really kill the appeal of this product for me.

Comment

• jayraytee
                        Career Member
                        • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by MEGOMAN
                        I'm sure that if FTC does make it an exact replica they will at least place their logo on the box. So I'm sure that we will not have to worry about dealers trying to pass it off as the real thing. Also, I'm sure that they will also have their logo or name molded into the plastic of the shark. It is true the FTC has made their own unique MEGO styled packaging. Either to not get themselves into trouble or just to have their own unique distinction and not to copy the originals. But as far as the Aquaman vs. Great White Shark goes, they need to really nail this packaging. I feel that they are going to replicate the packaging. They replicated the Monster Castle!!!! I'm sure that they will do the same with the box.
                        They replicated the castle, but that is a product. They are essentially in the business of replicating Mego products. But they have yet to replicate packaging, instead they have just made similar looking packaging with their own art design. I mean the newer figures are not even on a card with a glued bubble, they are in a clamshell with a card in the back. The artwork looks mego-esque, but thats about it. I am just wondering, if they could replicate Mego packaging exactly... why wouldn't they have done that with everything else? Is it simply by choice or is there some restrictions in doing that, heck maybe even DC might restrict them from producing 70s era packaging and insist they make new designs with 70 era look. I am just speculating, but the fact that with all of their products not having reproduction packaging, I am wondering if there is a reason.
                        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• MEGOMAN
                          • Dec 30, 2008

Originally posted by jayraytee
                          They replicated the castle, but that is a product. They are essentially in the business of replicating Mego products. But they have yet to replicate packaging, instead they have just made similar looking packaging with their own art design. I mean the newer figures are not even on a card with a glued bubble, they are in a clamshell with a card in the back. The artwork looks mego-esque, but thats about it. I am just wondering, if they could replicate Mego packaging exactly... why wouldn't they have done that with everything else? Is it simply by choice or is there some restrictions in doing that, heck maybe even DC might restrict them from producing 70s era packaging and insist they make new designs with 70 era look. I am just speculating, but the fact that with all of their products not having reproduction packaging, I am wondering if there is a reason.
                          It is very possible that they cannot remake the packaging because of licensing. However I do not think that they will give us the 411 on that for their own privacy. The clamshell packaging was created so that you could put your figures back into their packing. I believe EMCE Toys were the first to do this with their Star Trek line. FTC did not create this and they copied the packaging. They never took any heat from EMCE Toys. I think and hope that FTC has no problem to recreate any of the original MEGO packaging. I believe they do want to have the packing be their own. With that, the best part is that the original MEGO toys and their packaging will not be duplicated. As usual, lets all sit back and wait to see what the final product will look like. Maybe Mickey might give us a little insight.

Comment

• mickeymoosemego
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 11, 2014

I'll post something on this as soon as they give me the okay. P.S.-I wanted them to use the JAWS poster image with Aquaman swimming on the surface. These are the Jokes.

Comment

• MEGOMAN
                              • Dec 30, 2008

Originally posted by mickeymoosemego
                              I'll post something on this as soon as they give me the okay. P.S.-I wanted them to use the JAWS poster image with Aquaman swimming on the surface. These are the Jokes.
                              Hey thanks. I'm sure that whatever is done will be just fine. I look forward to owning this. But it would still be 100% fantastic if FTC recreates the original packaging only for this!
                              Last edited by MEGOMAN; Nov 21, '14, 9:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎