Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Yet another generation of writers have MISSED the point.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
      Persistent Member
      • Apr 28, 2013

Yeah, I can definitely see them turning into a group of "heroes". I really enjoyed Dracula Untold, but in no way can I see him as a monster or villain. I imagine they will have a extreme monster to team against like the SPOILER........................................... ........

Demon the cave vampire mentioned getting revenge on.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I think what it comes to is respecting the material. Universal monster movies were not guaranteed money makers for more than 15 years based on a fad. And their longevity has certainly proven that all generations since that original period have connected with the material. When my father-in-law and I attended a local screening of Frankenstein at the Louisville Palace back in August, the theater was packed out. And this was a old time theater with balcony seating (also packed). This occurred on a Friday night, show time at 7 PM. Every age group was in attendance - from 8 to 80. Clearly not everyone in attendance qualified for nostalgic reasons.

I think Universal is in a rut with their monsters like the entire industry use to be with superheroes. I think they're ashamed of their property. They treat it like it's quaint and dated, which is insane. How can a bunch of people walk around with grease paint smeared on their faces calling themselves the "walking dead" and take the world by storm, but Universal can't figure out how to rebuild Frankenstein from the parts of those dead? The Wolfman seems even less of a stretch. Larry Talbot cursed by the damned and haunted by mauling people is a dated concept? All of these movies could be incredibly edgy if Universal wanted to really embrace the material, but instead they want to make them into adventure stories? Ahem... Is Schumacher onboard for this?
        Last edited by MIB41; Nov 17, '14, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 28, 2013

I agree, but I had to sit through a boatload of schlock to finally get Walking Dead. I could have sworn the "Dawn of The Dead" remake was ushering in the next wave of zombie classics. Man, was I way off.
          What we pan these days may very well be classics years down the road. I knew when watching Van Helsing that it was going to get a lot of play on network tv. I wont be surprised to see a lot of people with fond memories of that movie 20-30 years down the line.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎