X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

General Ursus?

Since the Museum has been open I'm sure this question has been asked before but since I've only been a member here since late December '07...

Did Mego intend for General Ursus (non-helmet) to really be General Aldo from Battle of the Planet of the Apes? While black, his uniform doesn't look like General Ursus' from Beneath the Planet of the Apes. In BATTLE Aldo's costume changes a few times from the standard Gorilla Soldier to gloved to the "General chest piece". He doesn't wear a helmet. And he is the only General to have a bandolier with sword in the movies or tv show.
    Scott
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Action Martin
    Did Mego intend for General Ursus (non-helmet) to really be General Aldo from Battle fpr the Planet of the Apes?
    My guess is no... After all, MEGO didn't have the license to do characters from BATTLE.

Comment

• megozilla13
      Persistent Member
      • May 10, 2002

If you watch the mego pota commercials which announce the second series as "coming soon" they refer to Ursus(nonhelmet) as "Urko, the vicious soldier ape"
      The name Urko was a last minute change on the TV show, originally he was supposed to be General Ursus. Don't know how all that ended in there being two generals but I don't think he was ever meant to be Aldo, even though thats who he most resembles.
      WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Action Martin
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by apes3978
        My guess is no... After all, MEGO didn't have the license to do characters from BATTLE.
        That's why I figured they might have changed the name to "Ursus".

Wasn't Mego's license with Fox, APJAC, or whoever a master license for all the Ape films and tv series? I never thought it was film by film for them. I would think that if they only had a license to the first two films, we would have seen at least another character from BENEATH.

And then the treehouse...
        Scott

Comment

• megozilla13
          Persistent Member
          • May 10, 2002

It had to have been a master license that covered all action figures and action figure accessories for anything ape related. If not AHI or any company could have just bought the license to Conquest or Battle and sold their own ape figures. Mego was very good at protecting their properties.
          WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Action Martin
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by megozilla13
            It had to have been a master license that covered all action figures and action figure accessories for anything ape related.
            That's kind of what I figured.

I know I'm grasping with the whole Aldo thing but it just seems so natural to me that Ursus was meant to be Aldo. Then again Mego never re-released Cornelius as Caesar and Zira as Lisa so I must be nuts.
            Last edited by Action Martin; Mar 28, '08, 6:20 PM.
            Scott

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

It had to have been a master license that covered all action figures and action figure accessories for anything ape related. If not AHI or any company could have just bought the license to Conquest or Battle and sold their own ape figures. Mego was very good at protecting their properties.
              Mike's 100% here, back then you didn't just license one movie you got the brand, all movies and the TV show in one shot.

Paramount tried to license the Star Trek movie separately and Mego went ballastic.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Action Martin
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 30, 2007

If you watch the mego pota commercials which announce the second series as "coming soon" they refer to Ursus(nonhelmet) as "Urko, the vicious soldier ape"
                I just watched that commercial on You Tube. They also called Galen "the grandson of Cornelius" and General Ursus as "the nemesis of Dr. Zaius and the Astronauts". Great stuff.
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎