X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Blacula

Brian and Jason brought this one up on the latest Pod Stallions, and it was sitting in my DVR (via TCM), so I thought, hey, why not. I watched it a few nights ago to cope with post-Halloween depression.

I saw the flick for the first time about 10 years ago, and I recall being impressed with it. It was far more "legit" than it had any business being. William Marshal brings a great dignity to his character, despite the over-the-top exploitation aspects elsewhere in the movie. I'm still trying to decide if the very "Halloweeny" make-up used on the vampire minions is laughable...or disturbing. The arbitrary green and blue coloring of some of the vampires makes it look like a low-rent haunted house. But then there's the truly creepy scenes like the vampirized female cab drive running toward the camera in slow-mo.

Brian pointed out Dracula was a racist, and man, he sure was. But, Dracula is supposed to be an evil SOB, and this version delivers, despite seeming a bit...bland at first. When he vamps up and curses Maumwalde, it's downright chilling.

The guy playing the doctor character looked familiar, and worked well in the Shaft-like role. He was one smooth dude, but still likeable. The actress playing the romantic lead, Tina/Luva...she wasn't overly convincing. Pretty...but that's about it. I can't decide if her story arc was unconvincing from the writing, or just her acting.

Overall, a fun bit of horror fluff, with just enough real acting and scares to make it rise above it's blaxploitation brothern. Now I need to watch the sequel, which I remember being not as good, despite Pam Grier's presence.

Chris
    sigpic
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Some how, I have Scream, Blacula Scream in my dvd collection, but not the original. Go figure.

About 15 years ago, I took a Pee Wees Playhouse King of Cartoons action figure, and began to customize it into a Blacula. (both played by William Marshall). Never finished it. Maybe I should.

Comment

• daz71
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2014

love the first one it reminds me of kolchak don't know why.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I really like it, there are few great moments in and it overall rises above it's meager means.

Gordon Pinsent is fun in this one, as I mentioned in the podcast, he's got a Newfoundland accent and that seems weird for an LA cop to have.

I think "Scream" got railroaded by the Medveds, it's not nearly as bad as they want you to think it is.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megoapesnut
          The name says it all!
          • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by daz71
          love the first one it reminds me of kolchak don't know why.
          I thought the same thing the first time I watched it. That's probably a big reason I love it! I have this on BETA, believe it or not. And I have a working BETA VCR!

And right there it is. You can just see the top of it.

Last edited by megoapesnut; Nov 6, '14, 9:56 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

It does have a Kolchak like vibe about it.

Nice Beta Max there! Is it wrong I keep wanting to call that robot in "Big Hero 6" BETA Max instead of BAY Max?

I'm going to watch "Scream" this weekend, if all pans out.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• MysteryWho
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 16, 2008

I'm a big fan of Blacula and William Marshall.
              He seems so refined but bursting at the seams with quiet intensity. A lot like Christopher Lee really.
              I think the Kolchak vibe comes partly from the image of police in helmets being tossed around.
              That happened every week on Kolchak.
              I also get a peculiar feeling when "The Rowdyman" Pinsent is on screen. I doubt anyone who isn't
              Canadian would notice.
              I have a soft spot for the black exploitation era. Although it has some unfortunate aspects, it was
              the first time black people got to play ALL the parts, good and bad, rather than the token representative
              or worse, the spineless stereotype you see in those Universal Mummy movies.
              It's fun to watch each new take on one genre or another, be it western or horror.
              Besides being entertaining as heck, some blaxploitation movies are just plain GOOD.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 16, 2008

Oh, I forgot, where else are you going to see Landru dressed up as Trelane playing Dracula?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^Holy Crap..that WAS Landru! And he did look a bit like Trelane. Man, the Star Trek content is high! You got Marshall, who is about the only person on Trek who EVER overpowered Shatner. Then Elisha Cook (who played Kirk's lawyer in "Court Martial") and now Landru/Dracula. I had no idea on that last one!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• MysteryWho
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 16, 2008

Wow, I just realized that Elisha Cook AND Surak of Vulcan are in the Kolchak pilot! It's like Six Degrees of Star Trek or something!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, I knew the vampire was Surak, but I forgot about Cook being in it!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I really enjoy the first Blacula film, I always like William Marshall & I don't find the stereotypes that cringe-worthy.

I have not seen the sequel.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎