Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how would you have changed Super Powers?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdicebuddha
    • Sep 20, 2012

But of all those things, it was a Wayne Manor/Batcave Playset I wanted above all else.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, a Batcave is a no-brainer. Add in a Bruce Wayne or Alfred figure, and that only sweetens the deal. If they'd offered THAT instead of Darkseid's Tower, I bet they'd got enough orders to go into production.

Good call on the Jokermobile. There is one featured in every mini-comic the Joker appears in, and the design is consistent. I kept expecting it to show up in the line.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by The Toyroom
        At least they stopped before they got to Vermin Vunderbar...

Or Granny Goodness.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

As a kid I thought Darkseid and co. were really cool, especially on the Super Powers cartoon. I was kinda Lex Luthored out by that point and it was neat to see new villains.

Comment

• Boshek
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 26, 2011

Keep wave one the same; it was perfect.
            Wave two: keep the good guys. Drop the bad guys. Add the following: New Superman with different action feature, Scarecrow, Riddler, Bizzaro, Sinestro and Reverse Flash.
            Wave three: Drop Cyclotron, Orion, Golden Pharoh, Tyr. Add Metamorpho, new Batman with different action feature, Catwoman and Scarecrow. Mail away: Bruce Wayne
            Wave four: New Superman, New Flash, New Joker, Black Vulcan, El Diablo, Trickster, Cheeta, John Stewart Green Lantern, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Beast Boy, Speedy and Deathstroke. Mail away: Dick Grayson
            Wave Five: New Batman, New Aquaman, New Lex Luthor, Batgirl, Two Face, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Blue Devil, Black Lightning, Creeper. Orion and Darkseid finally appear.
            Playsets and vehicles (drop everything sily from wave two and three)
            Batcave
            Joker mobile
            Batcopter
            Invisible Jet
            Arrow Cycle
            Hall of Doom
            Mini Fortress of Solitude
            New original bad guy car vehicle
            Aquaman's shark
            Check out my YouTube page

Comment

• tmthor
              God of Knock-offs
              • Nov 29, 2005

The line did have villians....like Joker , lex luthor, and Brainiac to name a few.

Comment

• mazinz
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 2, 2007

though I get the gimmicks some of them had, I would have really focused more on articulation even if it meant losing the gimmick the figure may have had. Braniac looked awesome but his pretty much non movement killed it for me
                "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

To be fair Darkseid is one of the best looking figures from the line. I'm also team Brianiac the redesign worked much better a green alien in a diaper. Leaving out Riddler (unless you count bootleg amigos version) was another big no-no. Bizarro should have been in there since he would've been simple to make.

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

I liked all the figures and have a complete set loose. I just wished they could have expanded the line with Batgirl, Supergirl, Catwoman, Sinestro, Captains Cold & Boomerang, et.al.

I remember when I saw the ad on the back of a comic book for the first time. I couldn't believe they were actually making Green Lantern, Flash and Hawkman figures.
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by ScottA
                      I liked all the figures and have a complete set loose. I just wished they could have expanded the line with Batgirl, Supergirl, Catwoman, Sinestro, Captains Cold & Boomerang, et.al.

I remember when I saw the ad on the back of a comic book for the first time. I couldn't believe they were actually making Green Lantern, Flash and Hawkman figures.
                      Yeah Flash is really the selling point of the line. He got shafted by Captain Action and Mego by that point . However Dr. Fate is my favorite from the line.

Comment

• starsky
                        veteran member
                        • Aug 26, 2007

Originally posted by ScottA

yeah i remember seeing that ad as well, and i wanted to rush over to toys r us asap!! i wanted green lantern!

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

The Fourth World push was because a decision was made (at DC IIRC) to springboard off Kirby. So they let him redesign several figures to collect the royalty, gave him the comic to draw and had some tangential involvement with Galactic Guardians.

It didn't work because they were waaayyy too early on the Silver Age nostalgia boom. By like a decade. The comic looked anachronistic compared to what Marvel was doing, and then you had the beginnings of the never-ending Crisis plague.

I think Enyawd has it right in that they needed to fill the SuperFriends but Legendary/Galactic were considered a modernization of Friends and DC/HB weren't looking to harken back to the 70's because Kenner wanted the separation.

So the figure format and character choices were just as influenced by the success of Star Wars, He-Man and GI Joe as it was by what Mego was to SuperFriends.

IMO, they had a choice to either focus on scale or actions, but not both. If they wanted the gizmos, then they needed to make them MOTU scale, but that was the probably a no-go due to Mego scale. So they should have dropped the gizmos and been more a larger scale GI Joe.
                          Last edited by hedrap; Nov 25, '14, 1:06 PM.

Comment

• LordMudd
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 22, 2011

I would change the scale to 3.75 inch, where it should have stayed. Much better vehicles and huge Star Wars/GIJoe type playsets. Think about it, no matter how many times idiots change the scale, it always seems to find it's way back to 3.75 inch. This must be because that is where it belongs.

CCC.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 26, 2009

New Teen Titans- DC's #1 comic book in the 80s- Nightwing, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Changeling, Starfire, Raven, Deathstroke

Legion of Doom villians instead of Kirby 4th World villians! Bizarro, Cheetah, Riddler, Black Manta, Sinestro, Solomon Grundy, Captain Cold, Gorilla Grodd, Toyman...

MORE FEMALES! Supergirl, Batgirl, Catwoman, Mary Marvel, Huntress, Power Girl, Black Canary, Hawkgirl, Zatanna

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

^Good point on the Titans. The Legion was also super-popular, and is an endless goldmine no toy company has yet to tap properly.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎