Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mattel Retro Action Boots changing color?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lynn TXP 0369
    Career Member
    • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by Spyweb007
    Interesting, I wasn't aware Mattel had so many issues over the years.
    Kenner does to. The Star Wars line has it's problems as well. Oily figures, sticky figures, white powder on figures, colors changing to a different color.

It is called aging and plastic decay. Our beloved toys will self destruct over the years as well too. Storage conditions can play a big roll in it.

Lynn

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
      Career Member
      • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by enyawd72
      Mattel has had consistent quality issues with their plastic since the 1970's.
      All toys will have problems as they age no matter who makes them. Plastics rot and decay over the years and chemicals in them breakdown causing the problems you mention, some plastics and vinyls will react together in not so good ways, it is not specific to any manufacturer.

Mattel has it's issues, as do Kenner, Ideal, Gabriel, Hasbroken, I could probably go on and on.

Lynn

Comment

• scott metzger
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 9, 2007

Mattel's problems of late have been far worse than ever before; many of the things mentioned start showing up within 6 months. Not years, MONTHS. The white powder was supposedly dealt with several years ago; sounds like it's back. It comes down to the quality of plastic used in many cases; use cheap plastic, pad your profits. A lot of companies are folowing the same route, but Mattel's QC has been the worst in recent years by a good margin.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

That's the beauty of styrene plastic...it's very stable. I have original 1960's Aurora models and the plastic is just like new.

Comment

• skullface
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 29, 2012

This has been seen in mego too.The brown apes body can get very brittle.The most interesting one to me is the Best of the west stuff from Marx turning into almost wax. I was going to buy a super cheap first isue box Johnny at a flea market,when I looked at it it was falling apart.The dude selling it said it had been unused and unbroken a few hours before. I have seen many this way. My gold and silver knights are fine though.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎