Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mattel Retro Action Boots changing color?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spyweb007
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 18, 2006

Mattel Retro Action Boots changing color?

Just a heads up, I saw a Mattel Retro Sinestro today at my local comic store, (the web exclusive one with the yellow lantern suit), and the yellow boots were turning black in the package. don't know if it's just the combination of the Black suit with the yellow boots, or if other colors will bleed through eventually. Probably look better with some repro yellow Doc Mego or CTVT boots anyway. If I notice any of my mattel boots changing I'll probably swap them out with some boots from Doc.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I've noticed that with many of my modern 12" GI Joe figures wearing black clothing--the clothing color/dye bleeds into the vinyl body & accessories.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Because no one in China ever prewashes the fabrics before using them for the figures. That excess dye has to go somewhere. It happens all the time on dolls, Joes and Barbies made in the last decade or so. In 60s Joes I never see it.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• dr_cyclops
        One eyed, wonder
        • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        Because no one in China ever prewashes the fabrics before using them for the figures. That excess dye has to go somewhere. It happens all the time on dolls, Joes and Barbies made in the last decade or so. In 60s Joes I never see it.
        Thank you!
        I've found this to be true with custom work as well as production. One light washing, and block drying works well to prevent dye transfer.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Wrapping the arms/legs with a small piece of Saran Wrap all the way to the top of where the boots or gloves end will completely prevent any dye transfer. It doesn't affect articulation at all and it helps the boots and gloves slide on much easier too.

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

The Saran wrap sounds like a good idea, I wonder if it's just the Black suit/yellow boot combo that will be a problem, maybe the green lantern boots too. I don't think the Captain marvel boots will have the same problem.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

the Captain Marvel and BLack Adam boots are having their own problems, the paint is starting to get tacky on them.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Spyweb007
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 18, 2006

Oh well, I'll have to get Doc boots for these eventually. I did notice that the boots kinda stick to the shelf they are displayed on, but leave no marks or anything so far. It's too bad, I do liker the feel of the rubber boots better than the plastic, even though they are a bit thick.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  the Captain Marvel and BLack Adam boots are having their own problems, the paint is starting to get tacky on them.
                  Wow. Gotta love Mattel quality. I noticed some of my carded Man of Steel figures are already growing white moldy residue on the arms. All that for $20 a pop. What a friggin joke.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                    Oh well, I'll have to get Doc boots for these eventually. I did notice that the boots kinda stick to the shelf they are displayed on, but leave no marks or anything so far. It's too bad, I do liker the feel of the rubber boots better than the plastic, even though they are a bit thick.
                    I was hoping CTVT would eventually cast the pirate boots in gold to use for replacements. I think they are going to start rotting like the gloves and boots on Phoenix Famous Covers.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

^ CTVT had gold pirate boots years ago & they sold out--a new run would be great!
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

I wonder how toxic these toys are to the children who play with them...
                        Somebody should start testing them for the safety of exposure. Sounds like nasty chemical reactions going on.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 18, 2006

I understand that sometimes these materials can react in unexpected ways as they age, but Mattel has been making Barbie dolls and accessories forever and should have enough experience to avoid these types of problems.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                            I understand that sometimes these materials can react in unexpected ways as they age, but Mattel has been making Barbie dolls and accessories forever and should have enough experience to avoid these types of problems.
                            Mattel has had consistent quality issues with their plastic since the 1970's. Their 1978 Battlestar Galactica, 1979 Flash Gordon, 1982-87 Masters of the Universe, 1984 Secret Wars all the way up until now. Their plastic turns oily and sticky, white powder leeches out of it, red plastic turns purple, gold and silver paints break down...

Comment

• Spyweb007
                              Persistent Member
                              • Apr 18, 2006

Interesting, I wasn't aware Mattel had so many issues over the years. I do have Galactica, Flash Gordon and Masters of the Universe stuff from the 70's and 80's, but no major problems with them. It always sucks to see a nice figure that hasn't been abused self destruct. I remember how dissapointed I was to find the my GI Joe which had survived my childhood just fall apart in my hands when I picked it up, same thing with the Super Joe Commander line. Meanwhile with a quick re-stringing here and there every mego figure I had is still ready for action (with the occasional broken finger or taped knee on one or two).

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎