X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j.chris.beynon
    • Sep 27, 2014

My first custom...

Hey folks...

Ultimately, I'd like to produce a figure where everything except for the body was produced by me...but I figured I'd better walk before I run so I decided to do a few Alex Ross/Sandy Collora style Batmen based on a pre-existing head using "store bought" clothes, gloves, and boots to give as Christmas presents to a few of my friends...

My plan is to produce Mego-style window boxes to present the figures labelled as being manufactured by "Wego Corporation" with an upside down Mego logo...

The head on this prototype is a casting of a head I purchased on eBay which turns out to be a casting of the Alex Ross Justice Batman figure which I believe was produced by DC Direct...I had to shorten the ears because they kept snapping off when I installed the head into the body...There's a bubble in the nose that I need to get rid of somehow...I'm hoping to have a bit of time on the weekend to start messing around with painting it and maybe I can use a bit of structural paint to fill in the void...the eyes will most likely be phosphorescent...

The body is a Bif Bang Pow/Dr. Mego swivel bicep "buff" body that I modified slightly in order to use the new FTC Batman '66 style gloves and boots...I think he fills out the suit quite nicely, don't you?...

The jump suit and trunks are from CTVT...The trunks are INCREDIBLY snug and they ripped when I initially put them on but they make the baggy suit appear to fit much snugger...

The belt and bat emblem are temporary...I'm working on my own pouch belt that, if all goes well, will look more like the Dark Knight Returns belt...Most likely, the belt will remain black but I may cave and paint it gold...The emblem is currently from a sheet of Batman Dead End stickers I got from eBay...I'm not sure that I'm going to do for the final version...I've been experimenting with cutting bats out of bicycle inner tube but it's tough to get a result that looks nice...If anyone has any recommendations, please bring it on!

Finally, there's the cape....I think the vinyl I bought is a little thick for an 8" figure but it was the thinnest the place had...I might go to a second hand store and see if I can get an old jacket or something with thinner leather that I can cannibalize...the pattern is in the early stages and I need to add more pleats so it hangs nicer...I'm considering using wire to help get it to hang the way I want...Right now the way the cape hangs on his shoulders reminds me of the Super Friends Batman...

Thanks to everyone on this board who's given me advice so far...You folks are great!

Chris.
  • Neutron X
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 22, 2007

Looking good!

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

looks great so far. For the emblem, draw a pattern you like and cut it out and tape it down to the rubber tire tube and then cut it out using the pattern to guide you.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• apes3978
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 19, 2005

He's coming along nicely so far...

Comment

• j.chris.beynon
          • Sep 27, 2014

Rather than use someone else's head sculpt for my first custom, I decided to do my own loosely based on 1939 Batman...The head is a work in progress...
          Last edited by j.chris.beynon; Nov 22, '14, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• Boywonder0
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 29, 2007

Looking good!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡