Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Ebay includes free tracking and discounts on shipping. Thru USPS its higher. Thru paypal I can get the same rates as Ebay.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

Cool, I'll have to try going through paypal. Thanks.
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• jayraytee
        Career Member
        • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by megoknight
        I believe the reason this was even posted wasn't the price of shipping, Gene knew what it would cost, but rather it was shipped for more than stated. And yes, there are handling type costs, but If you paid 10.00 for shipping on ebay and the item showed up with a 3.08 sticker on the envelope, you might go I paid 6.92 to much. I have always returned the difference on ebay or MM shipping because I have to guesstimate shipping costs and always go over.
        Exactly right. The shipping price charged is supposed to be exactly what you will pay the shipping carrier to deliver the product. All overhead, wages, boxes, bubblewrap, paypal and ebay charges, boxcutters, tape, desicant, your lunch, anything else should be incorporated into what you sold your product for. You should factor all of that in when setting the price of the product so that you still get a proffit.

Website shopping cart systems can be set to charge exactly what it will cost to ship an item based on weight and dimentions. The one we used also automatically added a calculated sales tax charge, for purchases from within our state.

So if any business charges $10, in shipping on an item that costs them $2 to ship, they should reimburse the customer for the difference. If they charge $10 for shipping a box of items that will cost them $40 to ship, they are just stupid because that will cut into their proffit margin... unless of course they make up the difference by over charging customers on smaller items. Both are bad business and easily avoidable by taking the time to properly set up a shopping cart system.
        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
          • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by Vinny0026
          I'm always late to the party.
          truth be told - If I was selling the same parts on e bay. The shipping would be 1.93 anywhere in the usa

Its under 3 ounces for that stuff. The tracking comes with that price (not additional)
          Both doc and ctv in this case are over charging.

now not to defend either one of them - the thing everyone might be overlooking is these prices come from price point - not weight.
          So if you spend say 10.00 worth of parts from Doc - his site will just give you a shipping price. It would not matter if that item was 10 ounces or ten pounds

I'm sure the same is done for ctv
          it is going by your total cost of your order. Not the weight of your order.

as for some of the e bay questions:
          What I found to be easier to do is:
          figure out what it costs to ship an item.
          I than add that price to my item.
          I than ship it free. So people can't cry about the shipping prices as they are getting free shipping.

So if i sell a pair of mego boots and i want 5 bucks for them
          I sell them for 7.00 as I know the shipping on them is 1.93 (for 3 ounces and under in the usa) and i get free tracking with that
          Yep, this is why you have to look at all the costs, not just shipping.

Here's another example: Up till Batman Wave 3, I had ordered each wave directly from FTC. Then when BM Wave 3 quickly sold out on FTC's site, I decided to place my first order with BBTS, for 2 of the Batman Wave 3, and one Batman Wave 1. The shipping on the 12 figures I got from BBTS was a few pennies LESS than what FTC was charging me to ship ONE wave! All 12 figures ended up costing me $305, which was $5 more than they would have cost from FTC before shipping. So I still feel like I was about $10 ahead. Then I got the figures about 2-3 days faster than I would from FTC, and suddenly I'm thinking that I will just order all my figures from BBTS from now on since they were cheaper AND faster!

But when I got the figures from BBTS, I noticed that about a third of them had very minor dings on the corners or bends. Just enough to notice, but I wasn't getting those from the figures I'd been ordering from FTC. Then I went back to the BBTS site and realized that BBTS offers you the chance to buy 'collector grade' figures for an extra $2 a figure. So if I had added a total of $24 for 'collector grade' figures, I could have gotten packages that were just as nice as the ones I was getting from FTC, for less.

So it's about the total you pay, not one expense. Some companies charge pennies for shipping and make it up on the cost of the product, some charge more for shipping and make it up by lowering the cost of the product. Always about the bottom line.
          Last edited by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide; Nov 6, '14, 2:24 PM.

Comment

• Vinny0026
            Year Five!!
            • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by thunderbolt
            ^^ Ebay includes free tracking and discounts on shipping. Thru USPS its higher. Thru paypal I can get the same rates as Ebay.
            TB is correct - if you ship through paypal or ebay you get the discount
            that is why it is 1.93 when ever I shipp 3 ounces or less

4-6 ounces it goes up a few cents, than 7 to 9 a few more etc if you got to the max weight of first class mail its still under 3 bucks
            "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• Vinny0026
              Year Five!!
              • Jan 26, 2012

Also - I like to add - I'm sorry for not sharing that info already. I take it for granted that everyone already knows what I know.

Shipping for me is always cheaper and easier through ebay and paypal
              Not to sound like a commercial but:

1) you get free tracking no matter how you ship (1st class or priority mail)
              2) I get a 20% discount on top of that for going through them
              3) If you ship priority mail - you even get free insurance up to 100.00!

Now #3 I noticed is sometimes tricky - if you ship through ebay you get up to 100.00 free insurance. If you ship through paypal I believe it is only 50.00 free insurance

**Now if you want to be smart about it - and want the full 100.00 insurance - go through e bay. Go to an item you sold or shipped already to a person you know or trust. Hit the print another label link - edit the shipping address to go to where the item needs to go to and bam! Free 100.00 insurance and not just the free 50.00 paypal offers.**

also most of you must know this already but in case you don't
              NEVER and I mean NEVER ship without tracking or insurance. Way to many shady people in this sick world. I get tracking for everything. Anything more than 25.00 I get insurance as well. People will try everything to get something free or to get over. I send out like 5 boxes per week. I don't take chances on any item. My cousin who ships alot as well takes the chance all the time - and most of the time he loses and he never learns. So trust me when I say its just not worth it. Pay the few extra bucks to get the tracking or insurance!

and last off - if you print from home - you can just drop the box off at the post office drop box - NO Lines!!
              also if you got a cool mail man (seriously mine is the best!!)

He will take and scan your items right from your house - so no drive to the post office!!
              and with ebays new rules on shipping - it must now be confirmed you shipped in the 1 day time frame.

You used to be able to print the label and that counted (so if it took you a day or 2 to drop off it did not matter)
              Not anymore - if you want to keep that ebay and paypal discount it must be confirmed the item shipped (which means you have 1 day to have it scanned)
              Last edited by Vinny0026; Nov 6, '14, 2:33 PM.
              "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎