X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayraytee
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by MIB41
    That definitely looks like pics of the custom one sold here a while back. It would be interesting if that suggestion can be confirmed or debunked.
    Well aren't a lot of the heads, bodies and accessories molded from original Mego parts? And isn't the custom shark also molded from an original Mego shark? Without an identifying mark like DM or FTC a lot of these pieces look a lot like originals, figuring out who used what to mold what could get pretty hard I guess. They very easily could of molded theirs from an original as well, or they could of used the custom one that was molded from the original to prototype theirs. Not sure how anyone would know either way.
    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
      Can a Fonzie jetski be much further off?
      Jet ski?

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
        • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by madmarva
        Jet ski?
        Water-skis, you knew what I meant.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by jayraytee
          Well aren't a lot of the heads, bodies and accessories molded from original Mego parts? And isn't the custom shark also molded from an original Mego shark? Without an identifying mark like DM or FTC a lot of these pieces look a lot like originals, figuring out who used what to mold what could get pretty hard I guess. They very easily could of molded theirs from an original as well, or they could of used the custom one that was molded from the original to prototype theirs. Not sure how anyone would know either way.
          I think that would take allot of time and development. If someone had already done the work, they could have offered them a fee to buy it since they owned the copyright. The person who sold that custom could answer that question if that occurred.

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

point of clarification... the custom shark was not molded from the original. It was 3D scanned and printed.
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• jayraytee
              Career Member
              • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by MIB41
              I think that would take allot of time and development. If someone had already done the work, they could have offered them a fee to buy it since they owned the copyright. The person who sold that custom could answer that question if that occurred.
              I worked on a tribute CD to an artist that was killed in an accident, his band finished the album he had demoed. They asked my brother and I to find a bootleg of the artist playing a song in concert that he had never recorded in the studio. We found a soundboard recording and sent it to them and gave them the name of the person that had 'bootlegged' the show so he would get credit. They used the recording but wouldn't give the person credit since he had bootlegged them without permission in the first place. Since they owned the copyright and the bootlegger didn't, they could do whatever they wanted with it and the bootlegger had really no legs to stand on legally. I felt like they should have credited him even if they legally didn't have to, it would have been nice.

Since FTC has the license, and if they use something that was fan generated, it would be nice if they compensated the person or gave them credit, but legally they probably don't have to. Not saying they did use it, I have no idea. My main point was that it may be really hard to tell if they did or didn't unless there was something slightly different on the custom that FTC might recreate without knowing it wasn't on the original. If the custom looks exactly like the original in every way, how could we possibly tell whether FTC used it or an original to create their prototype?
              My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

The shark is generic and was never part of a DC license, thus the ownership or patent would belong to Mego. However, with Mego being out of business for 30 years, it basically doesn't matter.
                Same goes with the Mego bodies where pretty much anyone can produce them.
                A bootlegger doesn't technically own anything.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• alex
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 15, 2009

I dont normally buy copies, because I always hold out for a original, but I might have to make a exception here.

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                    Water-skis, you knew what I meant.
                    You got me. But I'd probably buy a mego-sized jet ski

Comment

• Wondergrrrl
                      • Sep 17, 2014

Well aren't a lot of the heads, bodies and accessories molded from original Mego parts?
                      That would be a beginning toward explaining why FTC did such a ****-poor job on the female figure's faces. I expect the rest to have been laziness because they were dealing with female figures that they didn't expect much of a response to. Shame on them for that!

Comment

• Type Two
                        Career Member
                        • Sep 20, 2010

Originally posted by madmarva
                        You got me. But I'd probably buy a mego-sized jet ski
                        Oh, yeah! Especially a yellow one like Aquaman used in the "Super-Friends"!!!

sf_aquaman.jpg
                        Type Two: The Mego body, not the disease.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I worked on a tribute CD to an artist that was killed in an accident, his band finished the album he had demoed. They asked my brother and I to find a bootleg of the artist playing a song in concert that he had never recorded in the studio. We found a soundboard recording and sent it to them and gave them the name of the person that had 'bootlegged' the show so he would get credit. They used the recording but wouldn't give the person credit since he had bootlegged them without permission in the first place. Since they owned the copyright and the bootlegger didn't, they could do whatever they wanted with it and the bootlegger had really no legs to stand on legally. I felt like they should have credited him even if they legally didn't have to, it would have been nice.

Since FTC has the license, and if they use something that was fan generated, it would be nice if they compensated the person or gave them credit, but legally they probably don't have to. Not saying they did use it, I have no idea. My main point was that it may be really hard to tell if they did or didn't unless there was something slightly different on the custom that FTC might recreate without knowing it wasn't on the original. If the custom looks exactly like the original in every way, how could we possibly tell whether FTC used it or an original to create their prototype?
                          Excellent point. Thanks for the example jayraytee. That really puts a clear light on the subject. And Boss thanks for the insight as well. FTC certainly doesn't consider fairness in pay when it comes to them writing the check. At least not in this circumstance. Disappointing to hear.

Comment

• MegoMonk
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 22, 2007

Figures already made a Jump the Shark Fonzie with Water skis back in 2005.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎